Re: [NTB] Re: Return to same place (retain cursor position) when switch outline headers?

  • Jim Eoff
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 25, 2012
      On Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:23, Dave wrote:
      > when you read you text files you can have as many as you want open tab
      > across the top of the window and you can do the same thing with your
      > otl's as well .if you have 4,5,7 open and tab between them ,you do not loose

      How do you show multiple OTL headers at the same time? I just tried to
      figure it out and didn't see how.

      Thanks
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
        Hi
        best to describe this is to open a brand new page ,be something like new.txt
        then you goto wherever your otl folder is and click open you should have an
        open otl in font of you , then go to your otl folder again and repeat the
        process as many times as you want, you should have two to as many as you
        open tabs across the top ? I am running notetab std
        THANKYOU dave m

        > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:23, Dave wrote:
        >> when you read you text files you can have as many as you want open tab
        >> across the top of the window and you can do the same thing with your
        >> otl's as well .if you have 4,5,7 open and tab between them ,you do not
        >> loose
        >
        > How do you show multiple OTL headers at the same time? I just tried to
        > figure it out and didn't see how.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Jim Eoff
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
          On Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:56, Dave wrote:

          > best to describe this is to open a brand new page ,be something like
          > new.txt then you goto wherever your otl folder is and click open you
          > should have an open otl in font of you , then go to your otl folder
          > again and repeat the process as many times as you want, you should
          > have two to as many as you open tabs across the top ?

          That doesn't seem to work (the view reverts to the open copy of the
          file), although maybe something like it is possible if one turned on:

          View | Options | General | Allow Multiple Instances

          Although it seems that would be fraught with the danger of editing
          multiple copies of the same document. I didn't brave that one to see
          if/how it works. :)
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
            Hi
            I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
            uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg
            THANKYOU DAVE M

            > On Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:56, Dave wrote:
            >>
            >> best to describe this is to open a brand new page ,be something like
            >> new.txt then you goto wherever your otl folder is and click open you
            >> should have an open otl in font of you , then go to your otl folder
            >> again and repeat the process as many times as you want, you should
            >> have two to as many as you open tabs across the top ?
            >
            > That doesn't seem to work (the view reverts to the open copy of the
            > file), although maybe something like it is possible if one turned on:
            >
            > View | Options | General | Allow Multiple Instances
            >
            > Although it seems that would be fraught with the danger of editing
            > multiple copies of the same document. I didn't brave that one to see
            > if/how it works. :)

          • Jim Eoff
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
              On Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:05, Dave wrote:
              > Hi
              > I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
              > uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg

              Guess I am. :)

              Looking at the file "mutliotl.jpg" (at the page
              http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/ ), each tab is from
              a different file. I'm talking about different Headers within the same
              OTL file.

              Thanks for your comments and taking the time to upload the screenshot.
            • Eb
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                One way you can always open the same file twice is to enable multi-instances, and open the second copy as read-only in a second instance of NoteTab.

                Another way, that worked in earlier versions of NT, had NoteTab allowing you to load a second copy of the same file, if the filename were different (DOS SHORT form vs Windows long form). This did not work, if both versions were identical.

                If this 2nd method still works (couldn't test at tme moment, my Internet PC doesn't have NoteTab), you can use the second window for the "other" outline.
                Caution: Make sure your keep one of these files UNCHANGED, or it can get confusing.

                Cheers,

                Eb

                --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jim Eoff <jimeoff@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:05, Dave wrote:
                > > Hi
                > > I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
                > > uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg
                >
                > Guess I am. :)
                >
                > Looking at the file "mutliotl.jpg" (at the page
                > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/ ), each tab is from
                > a different file. I'm talking about different Headers within the same
                > OTL file.
                >
                > Thanks for your comments and taking the time to upload the screenshot.

              • mycroftj
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                  --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jim Eoff <jimeoff@...> wrote:

                  > When I click to change the focus from one outline header to another, the
                  > cursor is positioned at the start of the header. Is there a way to make
                  > it automatically return to where I was the last time the header was
                  > viewed (or at least the last time since the file was opened)?
                  >
                  > Thanks

                  I see discussion has focused on non-clip solutions, but it doesn't sound hard to create a clip for what you want. I picture running the clip which will present a list of all the topics in the current outline. Click the one you want and it remember where you are in the current topic and then switch to the desired topic and go to the last position for that topic or the beginning if never there. You could make it automatically clear 'memory' when switching to a different outline or remember all settings until you close note tab or switch to a different library. Yes, there are ways to save settings permanently. I don't know your level of clip programming, but I think the basic script would be quite simple.

                  Joy
                • Dave
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                    >> When I click to change the focus from one outline header to another, the
                    >> cursor is positioned at the start of the header. Is there a way to make
                    >> it automatically return to where I was the last time the header was
                    >> viewed (or at least the last time since the file was opened)?
                    >>
                    >> Thanks

                    Hi
                    do not know if you still want this it should be on the clip list it works on
                    200 topic otl
                    H="start"
                    ^!Set %f%=^$GetTopicIndex$; %r%=^$GetRowStart$; %c%=^$GetColStart$

                    H="go back"
                    ^!SetTopicIndex ^%f%
                    ^!Delay 2
                    ^!SetCursor ^%r%:^%c%

                    hope this help
                    THANKYOU DAVE M
                  • Jim Eoff
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 28, 2012
                      On Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 0:44, Dave wrote:
                      > do not know if you still want this it should be on the clip list it works
                      > on
                      > 200 topic otl
                      > H="start"
                      > ^!Set %f%=^$GetTopicIndex$; %r%=^$GetRowStart$; %c%=^$GetColStart$
                      >
                      > H="go back"
                      > ^!SetTopicIndex ^%f%
                      > ^!Delay 2
                      > ^!SetCursor ^%r%:^%c%

                      Thanks all. I'll play with this and if I have further questions will ask
                      on the Clips list. Will also suggest the feature to the author.