Re: [NTB] Re: Return to same place (retain cursor position) when switch outline headers?

  • Jim Eoff
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 24, 2012
      Do you mean make the outline headers into separate regular files, or
      something else?

      Thanks

      On Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 7:02, Dave wrote:
      > Hi
      > you can put all your otl's in notetabstd window and tab around them and
      > you
      > do not loose your position .
      > THANKYOU DAVE M

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 24, 2012
        Hi
        when you read you text files you can have as many as you want open tab
        across the top of the window and you can do the same thing with your otl's
        as well .if you have 4,5,7 open and tab between them ,you do not loose your
        place.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > Do you mean make the outline headers into separate regular files, or
        > something else?
        >
        > Thanks
        >

        > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 7:02, Dave wrote:
        >> Hi
        >> you can put all your otl's in notetabstd window and tab around them and
        >> you
        >> do not loose your position .
        >> THANKYOU DAVE M

      • Jim Eoff
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 25, 2012
          On Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:23, Dave wrote:
          > when you read you text files you can have as many as you want open tab
          > across the top of the window and you can do the same thing with your
          > otl's as well .if you have 4,5,7 open and tab between them ,you do not loose

          How do you show multiple OTL headers at the same time? I just tried to
          figure it out and didn't see how.

          Thanks
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
            Hi
            best to describe this is to open a brand new page ,be something like new.txt
            then you goto wherever your otl folder is and click open you should have an
            open otl in font of you , then go to your otl folder again and repeat the
            process as many times as you want, you should have two to as many as you
            open tabs across the top ? I am running notetab std
            THANKYOU dave m

            > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012, at 8:23, Dave wrote:
            >> when you read you text files you can have as many as you want open tab
            >> across the top of the window and you can do the same thing with your
            >> otl's as well .if you have 4,5,7 open and tab between them ,you do not
            >> loose
            >
            > How do you show multiple OTL headers at the same time? I just tried to
            > figure it out and didn't see how.
            >
            > Thanks

          • Jim Eoff
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
              On Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:56, Dave wrote:

              > best to describe this is to open a brand new page ,be something like
              > new.txt then you goto wherever your otl folder is and click open you
              > should have an open otl in font of you , then go to your otl folder
              > again and repeat the process as many times as you want, you should
              > have two to as many as you open tabs across the top ?

              That doesn't seem to work (the view reverts to the open copy of the
              file), although maybe something like it is possible if one turned on:

              View | Options | General | Allow Multiple Instances

              Although it seems that would be fraught with the danger of editing
              multiple copies of the same document. I didn't brave that one to see
              if/how it works. :)
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 26, 2012
                Hi
                I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
                uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg
                THANKYOU DAVE M

                > On Wed, Dec 26, 2012, at 5:56, Dave wrote:
                >>
                >> best to describe this is to open a brand new page ,be something like
                >> new.txt then you goto wherever your otl folder is and click open you
                >> should have an open otl in font of you , then go to your otl folder
                >> again and repeat the process as many times as you want, you should
                >> have two to as many as you open tabs across the top ?
                >
                > That doesn't seem to work (the view reverts to the open copy of the
                > file), although maybe something like it is possible if one turned on:
                >
                > View | Options | General | Allow Multiple Instances
                >
                > Although it seems that would be fraught with the danger of editing
                > multiple copies of the same document. I didn't brave that one to see
                > if/how it works. :)

              • Jim Eoff
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                  On Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:05, Dave wrote:
                  > Hi
                  > I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
                  > uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg

                  Guess I am. :)

                  Looking at the file "mutliotl.jpg" (at the page
                  http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/ ), each tab is from
                  a different file. I'm talking about different Headers within the same
                  OTL file.

                  Thanks for your comments and taking the time to upload the screenshot.
                • Eb
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                    One way you can always open the same file twice is to enable multi-instances, and open the second copy as read-only in a second instance of NoteTab.

                    Another way, that worked in earlier versions of NT, had NoteTab allowing you to load a second copy of the same file, if the filename were different (DOS SHORT form vs Windows long form). This did not work, if both versions were identical.

                    If this 2nd method still works (couldn't test at tme moment, my Internet PC doesn't have NoteTab), you can use the second window for the "other" outline.
                    Caution: Make sure your keep one of these files UNCHANGED, or it can get confusing.

                    Cheers,

                    Eb

                    --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jim Eoff <jimeoff@...> wrote:

                    > On Thu, Dec 27, 2012, at 1:05, Dave wrote:
                    > > Hi
                    > > I think your missing the point only one version of notetab std, I have
                    > > uploaded a jpg to the files section of cliplist called multiotl.jpg
                    >
                    > Guess I am. :)
                    >
                    > Looking at the file "mutliotl.jpg" (at the page
                    > http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/ntb-clips/files/ ), each tab is from
                    > a different file. I'm talking about different Headers within the same
                    > OTL file.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your comments and taking the time to upload the screenshot.

                  • mycroftj
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Jim Eoff <jimeoff@...> wrote:

                      > When I click to change the focus from one outline header to another, the
                      > cursor is positioned at the start of the header. Is there a way to make
                      > it automatically return to where I was the last time the header was
                      > viewed (or at least the last time since the file was opened)?
                      >
                      > Thanks

                      I see discussion has focused on non-clip solutions, but it doesn't sound hard to create a clip for what you want. I picture running the clip which will present a list of all the topics in the current outline. Click the one you want and it remember where you are in the current topic and then switch to the desired topic and go to the last position for that topic or the beginning if never there. You could make it automatically clear 'memory' when switching to a different outline or remember all settings until you close note tab or switch to a different library. Yes, there are ways to save settings permanently. I don't know your level of clip programming, but I think the basic script would be quite simple.

                      Joy
                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 27, 2012
                        >> When I click to change the focus from one outline header to another, the
                        >> cursor is positioned at the start of the header. Is there a way to make
                        >> it automatically return to where I was the last time the header was
                        >> viewed (or at least the last time since the file was opened)?
                        >>
                        >> Thanks

                        Hi
                        do not know if you still want this it should be on the clip list it works on
                        200 topic otl
                        H="start"
                        ^!Set %f%=^$GetTopicIndex$; %r%=^$GetRowStart$; %c%=^$GetColStart$

                        H="go back"
                        ^!SetTopicIndex ^%f%
                        ^!Delay 2
                        ^!SetCursor ^%r%:^%c%

                        hope this help
                        THANKYOU DAVE M
                      • Jim Eoff
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 28, 2012
                          On Fri, Dec 28, 2012, at 0:44, Dave wrote:
                          > do not know if you still want this it should be on the clip list it works
                          > on
                          > 200 topic otl
                          > H="start"
                          > ^!Set %f%=^$GetTopicIndex$; %r%=^$GetRowStart$; %c%=^$GetColStart$
                          >
                          > H="go back"
                          > ^!SetTopicIndex ^%f%
                          > ^!Delay 2
                          > ^!SetCursor ^%r%:^%c%

                          Thanks all. I'll play with this and if I have further questions will ask
                          on the Clips list. Will also suggest the feature to the author.