Re: [NTB] Error in Text Statistics Tool?

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2012
      Interviewed by CNN on 12/12/2012 14:27, elibrarian22 told the world:
      > There seems to be an error in the text statistics tool, when counting on bigger files. For example, I get:
      >
      > Different words counted: 7
      > Total words: 64
      > Total characters: 356
      > Total lines: 2
      >
      > in a file, where the correct counts is:
      >
      > Different words counted: 7652
      > Total words: 64432
      > Total characters: 356241
      > Total lines: 2529
      >
      > It seems, the dialog chops of the last three ciphres?

      Which version of Notetab? I'm still in 6.2 Pro, and it seems to work all
      right -- I tested it with a file about 9 times bigger than yours, and it
      didn't choke.

      Perhaps it's a 7.x bug?

      (And, by the way, I'm curious... if Notetab is having problems with that
      feature, how did you obtain the *correct* counts? Different program?)

      --
      MCBastos

      -=-=-
      ... Sent from my Philips Pronto.
      * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.14.1 *
    • elibrarian22
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2012
        The newest - 7.1 Pro.

        To obtain the correct results, I copied the list of different words and counts (which works as usual, except for the totals) into a spreadsheet and SUM'med.

        The linecount is fetched from notetab itselv with wordwarp toggled off.

        "Freezing learns naked woman to spin" (bad translation of danish proverb ;o)

        Regards,

        Kim

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos <bytext@...> wrote:

        > Interviewed by CNN on 12/12/2012 14:27, elibrarian22 told the world:
        > > There seems to be an error in the text statistics tool, when counting on bigger files. For example, I get:
        > >
        > > Different words counted: 7
        > > Total words: 64
        > > Total characters: 356
        > > Total lines: 2
        > >
        > > in a file, where the correct counts is:
        > >
        > > Different words counted: 7652
        > > Total words: 64432
        > > Total characters: 356241
        > > Total lines: 2529
        > >
        > > It seems, the dialog chops of the last three ciphres?
        > >

        > Which version of Notetab? I'm still in 6.2 Pro, and it seems to work all
        > right -- I tested it with a file about 9 times bigger than yours, and it
        > didn't choke.
        >
        > Perhaps it's a 7.x bug?
        >
        > (And, by the way, I'm curious... if Notetab is having problems with that
        > feature, how did you obtain the *correct* counts? Different program?)
        >
        > --
        > MCBastos
        >
        > This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
        > -=-=-
        > ... Sent from my Philips Pronto.
        > * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.14.1 *
        > Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla

      • Fookes Software
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 14, 2012
          Hi Kim,

          Thanks for pointing this out. It seems to be a display error rather than a
          calculation error, as you indicated. We've made a note of it and will look
          into it further for the next NoteTab maintenance update.

          Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk