Error in Text Statistics Tool?

  • elibrarian22
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 12, 2012
      There seems to be an error in the text statistics tool, when counting on bigger files. For example, I get:

      Different words counted: 7
      Total words: 64
      Total characters: 356
      Total lines: 2

      in a file, where the correct counts is:

      Different words counted: 7652
      Total words: 64432
      Total characters: 356241
      Total lines: 2529

      It seems, the dialog chops of the last three ciphres?

      Regards,

      Kim
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 12, 2012
        Interviewed by CNN on 12/12/2012 14:27, elibrarian22 told the world:
        > There seems to be an error in the text statistics tool, when counting on bigger files. For example, I get:
        >
        > Different words counted: 7
        > Total words: 64
        > Total characters: 356
        > Total lines: 2
        >
        > in a file, where the correct counts is:
        >
        > Different words counted: 7652
        > Total words: 64432
        > Total characters: 356241
        > Total lines: 2529
        >
        > It seems, the dialog chops of the last three ciphres?

        Which version of Notetab? I'm still in 6.2 Pro, and it seems to work all
        right -- I tested it with a file about 9 times bigger than yours, and it
        didn't choke.

        Perhaps it's a 7.x bug?

        (And, by the way, I'm curious... if Notetab is having problems with that
        feature, how did you obtain the *correct* counts? Different program?)

        --
        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my Philips Pronto.
        * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.14.1 *
      • elibrarian22
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2012
          The newest - 7.1 Pro.

          To obtain the correct results, I copied the list of different words and counts (which works as usual, except for the totals) into a spreadsheet and SUM'med.

          The linecount is fetched from notetab itselv with wordwarp toggled off.

          "Freezing learns naked woman to spin" (bad translation of danish proverb ;o)

          Regards,

          Kim

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos <bytext@...> wrote:

          > Interviewed by CNN on 12/12/2012 14:27, elibrarian22 told the world:
          > > There seems to be an error in the text statistics tool, when counting on bigger files. For example, I get:
          > >
          > > Different words counted: 7
          > > Total words: 64
          > > Total characters: 356
          > > Total lines: 2
          > >
          > > in a file, where the correct counts is:
          > >
          > > Different words counted: 7652
          > > Total words: 64432
          > > Total characters: 356241
          > > Total lines: 2529
          > >
          > > It seems, the dialog chops of the last three ciphres?
          > >

          > Which version of Notetab? I'm still in 6.2 Pro, and it seems to work all
          > right -- I tested it with a file about 9 times bigger than yours, and it
          > didn't choke.
          >
          > Perhaps it's a 7.x bug?
          >
          > (And, by the way, I'm curious... if Notetab is having problems with that
          > feature, how did you obtain the *correct* counts? Different program?)
          >
          > --
          > MCBastos
          >
          > This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
          > -=-=-
          > ... Sent from my Philips Pronto.
          > * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.14.1 *
          > Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla

        • Fookes Software
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 14, 2012
            Hi Kim,

            Thanks for pointing this out. It seems to be a display error rather than a
            calculation error, as you indicated. We've made a note of it and will look
            into it further for the next NoteTab maintenance update.

            Julian - Fookes Software Help Desk