Re: [NTB] Basic Clip "Move cursor position" question

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
      @John / @Marcello interspersed:
      On 2012-11-22 19:30, John Shotsky wrote:
      > The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the balloon
      > help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.
      @John - What is "balloon help for the command"? I'm not seeing this,
      unless you mean the text tooltips for Toolbar buttons. Can you give an
      example where this causes confusion?

      @Marcello: I don't know how often ^!Keyboard commands cause problems and
      require delays but then again I almost never use them. If memory serves
      they are most often required when trying to send commands to other
      programs where a loop checking to see if focus has been gained is
      sometimes recommended.

      I guess it depends on the speed and load on the computer when the clip
      is run.
      >> For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn
      >> and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.
      >> Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
      >> (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
      >> not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)
      > I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select +nnn
      > enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.
      *You are absolutely correct about this*. I read the help about ^!select
      where nnn without sign defines number of lines but didn't read carefully
      enough. Perhaps something could be done with a combination of ^!SelectTo
      row:col and ^$getrow$ and a calc to increment but unless I was running
      into problems with my clip appearing to randomly fail I'd probably just
      go with ^!Keyboard DOWN too :-)
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
        Yes, it is the balloon help for the toolbar buttons. I dug around and realize that I have only used one Menu command,
        all the rest are Toolbar commands. So, it doesn't apply to Menu commands, but it does apply to toolbar commands.

        Regards,
        John

        On 2012-11-22 19:30, John Shotsky wrote:
        > The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the
        balloon
        > help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.
        @John - What is "balloon help for the command"? I'm not seeing this,
        unless you mean the text tooltips for Toolbar buttons. Can you give an
        example where this causes confusion?

      • Robert Bull
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
          Friday, November 23, 2012, 1:00:35 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:

          >>> For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select
          >>> nnn and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you

          >> I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select
          >> +nnn enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.

          AB> *You are absolutely correct about this*. I read the help about
          AB> ^!select where nnn without sign defines number of lines but didn't
          AB> read carefully enough. Perhaps something could be done with a
          AB> combination of ^!SelectTo row:col and ^$getrow$ and a calc to
          AB> increment but unless I was running into problems with my clip
          AB> appearing to randomly fail I'd probably just go with ^!Keyboard
          AB> DOWN too :-)

          I was using ^!Keyboard CTRL+HOME in certain clips, then discovered the
          JUMP command, ^!Jump DOC_START that does exactly the same thing. Does
          it achieve the same end by different means? It's detailed under the
          (dense) Help page "Select, Copy, and Insert Text" The full paragraph
          says:

          ---------
          ^!Jump nnn or ^!Jump +/-nnn or
          ^!Jump [LINE_START|LINE_END][SELECT_START|SELECT_END][TEXT_START|TEXT_END]

          Moves cursor to the indicated position. If the parameter is a number
          without a sign (+/-), the command will treat it as the line position
          from the start of the document. When a sign is used, the command will
          move the cursor a relative number of lines from the current position;
          a positive number moving it towards the end of the text and a negative
          number towards the start. If you don't specify a line number, you can
          use one of the following settings:
          LINE_START or LINE_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of the
          current line. This feature treats a line as if word wrap is turned
          off.
          SELECT_START or SELECT_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of
          the selection and unselects the text.
          TEXT_START or TEXT_END: moves to start or end of a plain document or
          the content of an Outline heading.
          DOC_START or DOC_END: moves to start or end of any kind of document.
          ---------

          which offers another approach to ^!KeyBoard DOWN

          Robert Bull
          mailto:barlennan@...
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
            ^!Jump 1 moves to the home position also.

            Regards,
            John

            mailto:barlennan@... <mailto:barlennan%40yahoo.co.uk>