Re: [NTB] Basic Clip "Move cursor position" question

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
      On 2012-11-22 18:12, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
      > After checking, I have to admit that I have taken the lazy way out and
      > used ^!Keyboard a number of times in my clips, for these keypresses:
      >
      > Shift+Ctrl+J (Join lines)
      > SHIFT+CTRL+k (capitalize words)
      > DELETE
      > UP (move one line up)
      > CTRL+N (new document)
      > CTRL+X (cut)
      > CTRL+V (paste)
      > Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line)
      >
      > A quick check through the help file suggests at least some of them
      > (Ctrl+N, Ctrl+V, could be replaced by native Clip commands with a bit of
      > tweaking. But I didn't find anything equivalent to Shift+Ctrl+J,
      > SHIFT+CTRL+k, UP or Shift+Down. (I didn't find the specific command to
      > replace Ctrl+X or DELETE, but I believe there must be one, it's just a
      > matter of finding its syntax...)
      Most of them can be replaced with ^!Menu {main
      entry}/{sub-entry}/sub-sub-entry (where entries containing blanks must
      be enclosed in quotes.
      > ^!Menu NameSequence (added in v4.9)
      >
      > You can use this command to activate any enabled command from the main
      > program menu. The first menu name in the sequence is the one that
      > appears at the top of the main menu, followed by submenu names (if
      > any), and then the name of the final menu item to activate. You must
      > separate submenu items with a forward slash and leave out any
      > ellipsis. You should put double quotes around a menu name if it
      > contains one or more forward slash characters. The case of characters
      > does not have to be the same as the actual menu commands.
      > The following example opens the Font dialog box for the active document:
      > ^!MENU Document/Font/Change Font
      > The example below inserts the date and time from the menu command
      > (notice the use of double quotes):
      > ^!MENU Document/"Insert Date/Time"
      eg. ^!Menu Modify/Lines/"Split Lines" and ^!Menu Edit/Delete.
      For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn and
      ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.

      Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
      (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
      not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)

    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
        Interviewed by CNN on 22/11/2012 21:48, Alec Burgess told the world:

        > Most of them can be replaced with ^!Menu {main
        > entry}/{sub-entry}/sub-sub-entry (where entries containing blanks must
        > be enclosed in quotes.

        I suppose so. But then, I don't see what's the difference, conceptually,
        in accessing a feature that's not native to the Clip language via
        keyboard shortcut or via menus, in terms of reliability. I have vague
        memories of attempting to use ^!Menu and giving up that approach as
        unsatisfactory for some reason. I have to test it again to see if it's
        any improvement. I must say that I never had problems using keyboard
        shortcuts in clips...
        > For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn
        > and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.
        > Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
        > (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
        > not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)
        I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select +nnn
        enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.

        --
        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
          The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the balloon
          help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
            @John / @Marcello interspersed:
            On 2012-11-22 19:30, John Shotsky wrote:
            > The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the balloon
            > help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.
            @John - What is "balloon help for the command"? I'm not seeing this,
            unless you mean the text tooltips for Toolbar buttons. Can you give an
            example where this causes confusion?

            @Marcello: I don't know how often ^!Keyboard commands cause problems and
            require delays but then again I almost never use them. If memory serves
            they are most often required when trying to send commands to other
            programs where a loop checking to see if focus has been gained is
            sometimes recommended.

            I guess it depends on the speed and load on the computer when the clip
            is run.
            >> For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn
            >> and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.
            >> Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
            >> (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
            >> not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)
            > I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select +nnn
            > enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.
            *You are absolutely correct about this*. I read the help about ^!select
            where nnn without sign defines number of lines but didn't read carefully
            enough. Perhaps something could be done with a combination of ^!SelectTo
            row:col and ^$getrow$ and a calc to increment but unless I was running
            into problems with my clip appearing to randomly fail I'd probably just
            go with ^!Keyboard DOWN too :-)
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
              Yes, it is the balloon help for the toolbar buttons. I dug around and realize that I have only used one Menu command,
              all the rest are Toolbar commands. So, it doesn't apply to Menu commands, but it does apply to toolbar commands.

              Regards,
              John

              On 2012-11-22 19:30, John Shotsky wrote:
              > The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the
              balloon
              > help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.
              @John - What is "balloon help for the command"? I'm not seeing this,
              unless you mean the text tooltips for Toolbar buttons. Can you give an
              example where this causes confusion?

            • Robert Bull
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                Friday, November 23, 2012, 1:00:35 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:

                >>> For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select
                >>> nnn and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you

                >> I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select
                >> +nnn enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.

                AB> *You are absolutely correct about this*. I read the help about
                AB> ^!select where nnn without sign defines number of lines but didn't
                AB> read carefully enough. Perhaps something could be done with a
                AB> combination of ^!SelectTo row:col and ^$getrow$ and a calc to
                AB> increment but unless I was running into problems with my clip
                AB> appearing to randomly fail I'd probably just go with ^!Keyboard
                AB> DOWN too :-)

                I was using ^!Keyboard CTRL+HOME in certain clips, then discovered the
                JUMP command, ^!Jump DOC_START that does exactly the same thing. Does
                it achieve the same end by different means? It's detailed under the
                (dense) Help page "Select, Copy, and Insert Text" The full paragraph
                says:

                ---------
                ^!Jump nnn or ^!Jump +/-nnn or
                ^!Jump [LINE_START|LINE_END][SELECT_START|SELECT_END][TEXT_START|TEXT_END]

                Moves cursor to the indicated position. If the parameter is a number
                without a sign (+/-), the command will treat it as the line position
                from the start of the document. When a sign is used, the command will
                move the cursor a relative number of lines from the current position;
                a positive number moving it towards the end of the text and a negative
                number towards the start. If you don't specify a line number, you can
                use one of the following settings:
                LINE_START or LINE_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of the
                current line. This feature treats a line as if word wrap is turned
                off.
                SELECT_START or SELECT_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of
                the selection and unselects the text.
                TEXT_START or TEXT_END: moves to start or end of a plain document or
                the content of an Outline heading.
                DOC_START or DOC_END: moves to start or end of any kind of document.
                ---------

                which offers another approach to ^!KeyBoard DOWN

                Robert Bull
                mailto:barlennan@...
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                  ^!Jump 1 moves to the home position also.

                  Regards,
                  John

                  mailto:barlennan@... <mailto:barlennan%40yahoo.co.uk>