Re: [NTB] Basic Clip "Move cursor position" question

  • Don
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
      There is a clips list that you should write for an answer to this.
      ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com

      Keyboard commands should be avoided when possible as they are
      unpredictible due to delays in execution.

      Instead find, then use move:
      ^!MoveCursor +/-nnn

      Here is what it looks like in your example I think:
      ^!Find "CCCCCCCC" TIS
      ^!MoveCursor +4

      > ^!Find "CCCCCCCC"
      > ^!Keyboard [something goes here]
      >
      > If there's a specific place I can go to look up keyboard movements like this, a pointer would also be appreciated...
      >
      > Thanks!
      >
      > Rob
    • Robert Bull
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012

        D> ^!MoveCursor +4

        I consider it a failure in NTP's Help that searching for
        "^!MoveCursor" gives "No topics found." It might not be a topic in
        itself, but it's included in the "Select, Copy, and Insert Text" topic
        under "Clip Programming." It would be helpful if NTP's search were
        more effective.

        Robert Bull
        mailto:barlennan@...
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
          Interviewed by CNN on 22/11/2012 19:30, Robert Bull told the world:
          > Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 11:25:07 PM, you wrote:
          >
          > D> ^!MoveCursor +4
          >
          > I consider it a failure in NTP's Help that searching for
          > "^!MoveCursor" gives "No topics found." It might not be a topic in
          > itself, but it's included in the "Select, Copy, and Insert Text" topic
          > under "Clip Programming." It would be helpful if NTP's search were
          > more effective.

          After checking, I have to admit that I have taken the lazy way out and
          used ^!Keyboard a number of times in my clips, for these keypresses:

          Shift+Ctrl+J (Join lines)
          SHIFT+CTRL+k (capitalize words)
          DELETE
          UP (move one line up)
          CTRL+N (new document)
          CTRL+X (cut)
          CTRL+V (paste)
          Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line)

          A quick check through the help file suggests at least some of them
          (Ctrl+N, Ctrl+V, could be replaced by native Clip commands with a bit of
          tweaking. But I didn't find anything equivalent to Shift+Ctrl+J,
          SHIFT+CTRL+k, UP or Shift+Down. (I didn't find the specific command to
          replace Ctrl+X or DELETE, but I believe there must be one, it's just a
          matter of finding its syntax...)

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my walkie-talkie.
        • Alec Burgess
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
            On 2012-11-22 18:12, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
            > After checking, I have to admit that I have taken the lazy way out and
            > used ^!Keyboard a number of times in my clips, for these keypresses:
            >
            > Shift+Ctrl+J (Join lines)
            > SHIFT+CTRL+k (capitalize words)
            > DELETE
            > UP (move one line up)
            > CTRL+N (new document)
            > CTRL+X (cut)
            > CTRL+V (paste)
            > Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line)
            >
            > A quick check through the help file suggests at least some of them
            > (Ctrl+N, Ctrl+V, could be replaced by native Clip commands with a bit of
            > tweaking. But I didn't find anything equivalent to Shift+Ctrl+J,
            > SHIFT+CTRL+k, UP or Shift+Down. (I didn't find the specific command to
            > replace Ctrl+X or DELETE, but I believe there must be one, it's just a
            > matter of finding its syntax...)
            Most of them can be replaced with ^!Menu {main
            entry}/{sub-entry}/sub-sub-entry (where entries containing blanks must
            be enclosed in quotes.
            > ^!Menu NameSequence (added in v4.9)
            >
            > You can use this command to activate any enabled command from the main
            > program menu. The first menu name in the sequence is the one that
            > appears at the top of the main menu, followed by submenu names (if
            > any), and then the name of the final menu item to activate. You must
            > separate submenu items with a forward slash and leave out any
            > ellipsis. You should put double quotes around a menu name if it
            > contains one or more forward slash characters. The case of characters
            > does not have to be the same as the actual menu commands.
            > The following example opens the Font dialog box for the active document:
            > ^!MENU Document/Font/Change Font
            > The example below inserts the date and time from the menu command
            > (notice the use of double quotes):
            > ^!MENU Document/"Insert Date/Time"
            eg. ^!Menu Modify/Lines/"Split Lines" and ^!Menu Edit/Delete.
            For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn and
            ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.

            Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
            (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
            not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)

          • Marcelo Bastos
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
              Interviewed by CNN on 22/11/2012 21:48, Alec Burgess told the world:

              > Most of them can be replaced with ^!Menu {main
              > entry}/{sub-entry}/sub-sub-entry (where entries containing blanks must
              > be enclosed in quotes.

              I suppose so. But then, I don't see what's the difference, conceptually,
              in accessing a feature that's not native to the Clip language via
              keyboard shortcut or via menus, in terms of reliability. I have vague
              memories of attempting to use ^!Menu and giving up that approach as
              unsatisfactory for some reason. I have to test it again to see if it's
              any improvement. I must say that I never had problems using keyboard
              shortcuts in clips...
              > For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn
              > and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.
              > Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
              > (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
              > not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)
              I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select +nnn
              enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.

              --
              MCBastos

              -=-=-
              ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the balloon
                help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.

                Regards,
                John

                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                  @John / @Marcello interspersed:
                  On 2012-11-22 19:30, John Shotsky wrote:
                  > The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the balloon
                  > help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.
                  @John - What is "balloon help for the command"? I'm not seeing this,
                  unless you mean the text tooltips for Toolbar buttons. Can you give an
                  example where this causes confusion?

                  @Marcello: I don't know how often ^!Keyboard commands cause problems and
                  require delays but then again I almost never use them. If memory serves
                  they are most often required when trying to send commands to other
                  programs where a loop checking to see if focus has been gained is
                  sometimes recommended.

                  I guess it depends on the speed and load on the computer when the clip
                  is run.
                  >> For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn
                  >> and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.
                  >> Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
                  >> (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
                  >> not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)
                  > I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select +nnn
                  > enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.
                  *You are absolutely correct about this*. I read the help about ^!select
                  where nnn without sign defines number of lines but didn't read carefully
                  enough. Perhaps something could be done with a combination of ^!SelectTo
                  row:col and ^$getrow$ and a calc to increment but unless I was running
                  into problems with my clip appearing to randomly fail I'd probably just
                  go with ^!Keyboard DOWN too :-)
                • John Shotsky
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                    Yes, it is the balloon help for the toolbar buttons. I dug around and realize that I have only used one Menu command,
                    all the rest are Toolbar commands. So, it doesn't apply to Menu commands, but it does apply to toolbar commands.

                    Regards,
                    John

                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                      Friday, November 23, 2012, 1:00:35 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:

                      >>> For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select
                      >>> nnn and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you

                      >> I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select
                      >> +nnn enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.

                      AB> *You are absolutely correct about this*. I read the help about
                      AB> ^!select where nnn without sign defines number of lines but didn't
                      AB> read carefully enough. Perhaps something could be done with a
                      AB> combination of ^!SelectTo row:col and ^$getrow$ and a calc to
                      AB> increment but unless I was running into problems with my clip
                      AB> appearing to randomly fail I'd probably just go with ^!Keyboard
                      AB> DOWN too :-)

                      I was using ^!Keyboard CTRL+HOME in certain clips, then discovered the
                      JUMP command, ^!Jump DOC_START that does exactly the same thing. Does
                      it achieve the same end by different means? It's detailed under the
                      (dense) Help page "Select, Copy, and Insert Text" The full paragraph
                      says:

                      ---------
                      ^!Jump nnn or ^!Jump +/-nnn or
                      ^!Jump [LINE_START|LINE_END][SELECT_START|SELECT_END][TEXT_START|TEXT_END]

                      Moves cursor to the indicated position. If the parameter is a number
                      without a sign (+/-), the command will treat it as the line position
                      from the start of the document. When a sign is used, the command will
                      move the cursor a relative number of lines from the current position;
                      a positive number moving it towards the end of the text and a negative
                      number towards the start. If you don't specify a line number, you can
                      use one of the following settings:
                      LINE_START or LINE_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of the
                      current line. This feature treats a line as if word wrap is turned
                      off.
                      SELECT_START or SELECT_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of
                      the selection and unselects the text.
                      TEXT_START or TEXT_END: moves to start or end of a plain document or
                      the content of an Outline heading.
                      DOC_START or DOC_END: moves to start or end of any kind of document.
                      ---------

                      which offers another approach to ^!KeyBoard DOWN

                      Robert Bull
                      mailto:barlennan@...
                    • John Shotsky
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                        ^!Jump 1 moves to the home position also.

                        Regards,
                        John

                        mailto:barlennan@... <mailto:barlennan%40yahoo.co.uk>