Basic Clip "Move cursor position" question

  • robanderson139
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
      Sorry for the rank newbie question...

      I'm trying to create a clip that "finds next" on a string of text, and then, when it finds it, moves the cursor to the right a set number of spaces

      (as if the user took off the highlighting on the found text, and then used the right arrow key to move over, without disturbing the text -- just repositioning the cursor after finding the text).

      I've got it finding and highlight the text using:

      ^!Find "CCCCCCCCCC"

      and I suspect I need to use this command on the second line?

      ^!Keyboard

      So, something like:

      ^!Find "CCCCCCCC"
      ^!Keyboard [something goes here]

      If there's a specific place I can go to look up keyboard movements like this, a pointer would also be appreciated...

      Thanks!

      Rob
    • Don
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 20, 2012
        There is a clips list that you should write for an answer to this.
        ntb-clips@yahoogroups.com

        Keyboard commands should be avoided when possible as they are
        unpredictible due to delays in execution.

        Instead find, then use move:
        ^!MoveCursor +/-nnn

        Here is what it looks like in your example I think:
        ^!Find "CCCCCCCC" TIS
        ^!MoveCursor +4

        > ^!Find "CCCCCCCC"
        > ^!Keyboard [something goes here]
        >
        > If there's a specific place I can go to look up keyboard movements like this, a pointer would also be appreciated...
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Rob
      • Robert Bull
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012

          D> ^!MoveCursor +4

          I consider it a failure in NTP's Help that searching for
          "^!MoveCursor" gives "No topics found." It might not be a topic in
          itself, but it's included in the "Select, Copy, and Insert Text" topic
          under "Clip Programming." It would be helpful if NTP's search were
          more effective.

          Robert Bull
          mailto:barlennan@...
        • Marcelo Bastos
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
            Interviewed by CNN on 22/11/2012 19:30, Robert Bull told the world:
            > Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 11:25:07 PM, you wrote:
            >
            > D> ^!MoveCursor +4
            >
            > I consider it a failure in NTP's Help that searching for
            > "^!MoveCursor" gives "No topics found." It might not be a topic in
            > itself, but it's included in the "Select, Copy, and Insert Text" topic
            > under "Clip Programming." It would be helpful if NTP's search were
            > more effective.

            After checking, I have to admit that I have taken the lazy way out and
            used ^!Keyboard a number of times in my clips, for these keypresses:

            Shift+Ctrl+J (Join lines)
            SHIFT+CTRL+k (capitalize words)
            DELETE
            UP (move one line up)
            CTRL+N (new document)
            CTRL+X (cut)
            CTRL+V (paste)
            Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line)

            A quick check through the help file suggests at least some of them
            (Ctrl+N, Ctrl+V, could be replaced by native Clip commands with a bit of
            tweaking. But I didn't find anything equivalent to Shift+Ctrl+J,
            SHIFT+CTRL+k, UP or Shift+Down. (I didn't find the specific command to
            replace Ctrl+X or DELETE, but I believe there must be one, it's just a
            matter of finding its syntax...)

            --
            MCBastos

            -=-=-
            ... Sent from my walkie-talkie.
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
              On 2012-11-22 18:12, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
              > After checking, I have to admit that I have taken the lazy way out and
              > used ^!Keyboard a number of times in my clips, for these keypresses:
              >
              > Shift+Ctrl+J (Join lines)
              > SHIFT+CTRL+k (capitalize words)
              > DELETE
              > UP (move one line up)
              > CTRL+N (new document)
              > CTRL+X (cut)
              > CTRL+V (paste)
              > Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line)
              >
              > A quick check through the help file suggests at least some of them
              > (Ctrl+N, Ctrl+V, could be replaced by native Clip commands with a bit of
              > tweaking. But I didn't find anything equivalent to Shift+Ctrl+J,
              > SHIFT+CTRL+k, UP or Shift+Down. (I didn't find the specific command to
              > replace Ctrl+X or DELETE, but I believe there must be one, it's just a
              > matter of finding its syntax...)
              Most of them can be replaced with ^!Menu {main
              entry}/{sub-entry}/sub-sub-entry (where entries containing blanks must
              be enclosed in quotes.
              > ^!Menu NameSequence (added in v4.9)
              >
              > You can use this command to activate any enabled command from the main
              > program menu. The first menu name in the sequence is the one that
              > appears at the top of the main menu, followed by submenu names (if
              > any), and then the name of the final menu item to activate. You must
              > separate submenu items with a forward slash and leave out any
              > ellipsis. You should put double quotes around a menu name if it
              > contains one or more forward slash characters. The case of characters
              > does not have to be the same as the actual menu commands.
              > The following example opens the Font dialog box for the active document:
              > ^!MENU Document/Font/Change Font
              > The example below inserts the date and time from the menu command
              > (notice the use of double quotes):
              > ^!MENU Document/"Insert Date/Time"
              eg. ^!Menu Modify/Lines/"Split Lines" and ^!Menu Edit/Delete.
              For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn and
              ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.

              Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
              (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
              not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)

            • Marcelo Bastos
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                Interviewed by CNN on 22/11/2012 21:48, Alec Burgess told the world:

                > Most of them can be replaced with ^!Menu {main
                > entry}/{sub-entry}/sub-sub-entry (where entries containing blanks must
                > be enclosed in quotes.

                I suppose so. But then, I don't see what's the difference, conceptually,
                in accessing a feature that's not native to the Clip language via
                keyboard shortcut or via menus, in terms of reliability. I have vague
                memories of attempting to use ^!Menu and giving up that approach as
                unsatisfactory for some reason. I have to test it again to see if it's
                any improvement. I must say that I never had problems using keyboard
                shortcuts in clips...
                > For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn
                > and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.
                > Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
                > (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
                > not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)
                I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select +nnn
                enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.

                --
                MCBastos

                -=-=-
                ... Sent from my DeLorean DMC-12, parked in 1955.
              • John Shotsky
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                  The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the balloon
                  help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.

                  Regards,
                  John

                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                    @John / @Marcello interspersed:
                    On 2012-11-22 19:30, John Shotsky wrote:
                    > The menu commands can be tricky. The command is not necessarily the words in the menu, but what is shown in the balloon
                    > help for that command. That got me a few times. It's very hard for me to remember to look at that first.
                    @John - What is "balloon help for the command"? I'm not seeing this,
                    unless you mean the text tooltips for Toolbar buttons. Can you give an
                    example where this causes confusion?

                    @Marcello: I don't know how often ^!Keyboard commands cause problems and
                    require delays but then again I almost never use them. If memory serves
                    they are most often required when trying to send commands to other
                    programs where a loop checking to see if focus has been gained is
                    sometimes recommended.

                    I guess it depends on the speed and load on the computer when the clip
                    is run.
                    >> For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select nnn
                    >> and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you want.
                    >> Also don't forget ^!Toolbar tooltip-text eg. ^!Toolbar "Split Lines"
                    >> (not checked but assume it also requires quotes) (... later ... maybe
                    >> not per the examples in Help for ^!Toolbar)
                    > I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select +nnn
                    > enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.
                    *You are absolutely correct about this*. I read the help about ^!select
                    where nnn without sign defines number of lines but didn't read carefully
                    enough. Perhaps something could be done with a combination of ^!SelectTo
                    row:col and ^$getrow$ and a calc to increment but unless I was running
                    into problems with my clip appearing to randomly fail I'd probably just
                    go with ^!Keyboard DOWN too :-)
                  • John Shotsky
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 22, 2012
                      Yes, it is the balloon help for the toolbar buttons. I dug around and realize that I have only used one Menu command,
                      all the rest are Toolbar commands. So, it doesn't apply to Menu commands, but it does apply to toolbar commands.

                      Regards,
                      John

                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                        Friday, November 23, 2012, 1:00:35 AM, Alec Burgess wrote:

                        >>> For: Shift+DOWN (extend selection by one line) I think ^!Select
                        >>> nnn and ^!Select +/-nnn specifically ^!Select +1 will do what you

                        >> I don't think so. The help file is pretty specific about ^!Select
                        >> +nnn enlarging the selection by nnn CHARACTERS, not lines.

                        AB> *You are absolutely correct about this*. I read the help about
                        AB> ^!select where nnn without sign defines number of lines but didn't
                        AB> read carefully enough. Perhaps something could be done with a
                        AB> combination of ^!SelectTo row:col and ^$getrow$ and a calc to
                        AB> increment but unless I was running into problems with my clip
                        AB> appearing to randomly fail I'd probably just go with ^!Keyboard
                        AB> DOWN too :-)

                        I was using ^!Keyboard CTRL+HOME in certain clips, then discovered the
                        JUMP command, ^!Jump DOC_START that does exactly the same thing. Does
                        it achieve the same end by different means? It's detailed under the
                        (dense) Help page "Select, Copy, and Insert Text" The full paragraph
                        says:

                        ---------
                        ^!Jump nnn or ^!Jump +/-nnn or
                        ^!Jump [LINE_START|LINE_END][SELECT_START|SELECT_END][TEXT_START|TEXT_END]

                        Moves cursor to the indicated position. If the parameter is a number
                        without a sign (+/-), the command will treat it as the line position
                        from the start of the document. When a sign is used, the command will
                        move the cursor a relative number of lines from the current position;
                        a positive number moving it towards the end of the text and a negative
                        number towards the start. If you don't specify a line number, you can
                        use one of the following settings:
                        LINE_START or LINE_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of the
                        current line. This feature treats a line as if word wrap is turned
                        off.
                        SELECT_START or SELECT_END: places cursor at the beginning or end of
                        the selection and unselects the text.
                        TEXT_START or TEXT_END: moves to start or end of a plain document or
                        the content of an Outline heading.
                        DOC_START or DOC_END: moves to start or end of any kind of document.
                        ---------

                        which offers another approach to ^!KeyBoard DOWN

                        Robert Bull
                        mailto:barlennan@...
                      • John Shotsky
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 25, 2012
                          ^!Jump 1 moves to the home position also.

                          Regards,
                          John

                          mailto:barlennan@... <mailto:barlennan%40yahoo.co.uk>