RE: [NTB] Windows 8 and NoteTab

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
      Anything that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8, and a few that won't work on Win 7 will work on Win 8. No 16 bit
      programs will run on a 64-bit operating system except in a virtual machine.

      I have Win 8 as a Microsoft partner, but I'm not very enthusiastic about it because the desktop is not the first thing
      you see, so you have to usually get out of 'metro' mode to get to the desktop, but you can't do everything from the
      desktop either. You MUST use both interfaces to do everything you are currently used to doing on the desktop. That sucks
      to one that has no need of the new interface on a non-touch computer.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
        At 10/28/2012 11:19 AM, you wrote:
        >I'm a longtime and statisfied user of NoteTab 4.95 np (yes, it's ancient
        >-- but it's perfect for me.) I've read horror stories about how Windows 8
        >will not be compatibale with many older programs. Will my NoteTab (or
        >later versions) run with Win 8 -- both clips and program itself? And
        >thanks. -Charlie

        Windows 8 is the new Vista. Either upgrade to Win 7 or wait for version 9.

        Microsoft can't ever seem to get the even number versions right and 8 may
        turn out to be the worst of the lot.

        Art
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
          Interviewed by CNN on 28/10/2012 17:31, John Shotsky told the world:
          > Anything that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8, and a few that won't work on Win 7 will work on Win 8. No 16 bit
          > programs will run on a 64-bit operating system except in a virtual machine.
          ...as long as it's the FULL Windows 8, and not the more limited "Windows
          RT" which comes preloaded in ARM-based tablets, like the Surface.

          (Yes, Microsoft announced a "Surface Pro" tablet with specs more akin to
          an ultrabook and which will come with the full-fledged Windows 8. But
          that is still a couple months away).

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my cyborg implant.
          * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.13.2 *
        • John Shotsky
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
            While that is true, NO windows program will run on the ARM version of Windows 8 unless it comes through the Microsoft
            'store', a la apple store. The ARM version doesn't run x86 code at all.

            Regards,
            John

            Interviewed by CNN on 28/10/2012 17:31, John Shotsky told the world:
            > Anything that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8, and a few that won't work on Win 7 will work on Win 8. No 16
            bit
            > programs will run on a 64-bit operating system except in a virtual machine.
            ...as long as it's the FULL Windows 8, and not the more limited "Windows
            RT" which comes preloaded in ARM-based tablets, like the Surface.

            (Yes, Microsoft announced a "Surface Pro" tablet with specs more akin to
            an ultrabook and which will come with the full-fledged Windows 8. But
            that is still a couple months away).

            --
            MCBastos

            -=-=-
            ... Sent from my cyborg implant.
            * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.13.2 *

          • Jeffery Scism
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 29, 2012
              On 10/28/2012 12:19 PM, cefwis wrote:
              > I'm a longtime and statisfied user of NoteTab 4.95 np (yes, it's ancient -- but it's perfect for me.) I've read horror stories about how Windows 8 will not be compatibale with many older programs. Will my NoteTab (or later versions) run with Win 8 -- both clips and program itself? And thanks. -Charlie
              NO.

              I had Win 8 installed and NoteTab would not open.

              I had to reformat to get win 7 back on and it works perfectly in Win 7.

              Jeff

            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 30, 2012
                Hi Jeff,

                Thanks for your feedback. Did you have problems while using the Windows
                8 beta or the final release?

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

                On 29/10/2012 14:49, Jeffery Scism wrote:
                > On 10/28/2012 12:19 PM, cefwis wrote:
                >> I'm a longtime and statisfied user of NoteTab 4.95 np (yes, it's ancient -- but it's perfect for me.) I've read horror stories about how Windows 8 will not be compatibale with many older programs. Will my NoteTab (or later versions) run with Win 8 -- both clips and program itself? And thanks. -Charlie
                > NO.
                >
                > I had Win 8 installed and NoteTab would not open.
                >
                > I had to reformat to get win 7 back on and it works perfectly in Win 7.
                >
                > Jeff
              • Jeffery Scism
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 30, 2012
                  On 10/30/2012 4:57 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
                  > Hi Jeff,
                  >
                  > Thanks for your feedback. Did you have problems while using the Windows
                  > 8 beta or the final release?
                  It was the BETA.