Windows 8 and NoteTab

  • cefwis
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
      I'm a longtime and statisfied user of NoteTab 4.95 np (yes, it's ancient -- but it's perfect for me.) I've read horror stories about how Windows 8 will not be compatibale with many older programs. Will my NoteTab (or later versions) run with Win 8 -- both clips and program itself? And thanks. -Charlie
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
        Anything that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8, and a few that won't work on Win 7 will work on Win 8. No 16 bit
        programs will run on a 64-bit operating system except in a virtual machine.

        I have Win 8 as a Microsoft partner, but I'm not very enthusiastic about it because the desktop is not the first thing
        you see, so you have to usually get out of 'metro' mode to get to the desktop, but you can't do everything from the
        desktop either. You MUST use both interfaces to do everything you are currently used to doing on the desktop. That sucks
        to one that has no need of the new interface on a non-touch computer.

        Regards,
        John

        I'm a longtime and statisfied user of NoteTab 4.95 np (yes, it's ancient -- but it's perfect for me.) I've read horror
        stories about how Windows 8 will not be compatibale with many older programs. Will my NoteTab (or later versions) run
        with Win 8 -- both clips and program itself? And thanks. -Charlie

      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
          At 10/28/2012 11:19 AM, you wrote:
          >I'm a longtime and statisfied user of NoteTab 4.95 np (yes, it's ancient
          >-- but it's perfect for me.) I've read horror stories about how Windows 8
          >will not be compatibale with many older programs. Will my NoteTab (or
          >later versions) run with Win 8 -- both clips and program itself? And
          >thanks. -Charlie

          Windows 8 is the new Vista. Either upgrade to Win 7 or wait for version 9.

          Microsoft can't ever seem to get the even number versions right and 8 may
          turn out to be the worst of the lot.

          Art
        • Marcelo Bastos
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
            Interviewed by CNN on 28/10/2012 17:31, John Shotsky told the world:
            > Anything that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8, and a few that won't work on Win 7 will work on Win 8. No 16 bit
            > programs will run on a 64-bit operating system except in a virtual machine.
            ...as long as it's the FULL Windows 8, and not the more limited "Windows
            RT" which comes preloaded in ARM-based tablets, like the Surface.

            (Yes, Microsoft announced a "Surface Pro" tablet with specs more akin to
            an ultrabook and which will come with the full-fledged Windows 8. But
            that is still a couple months away).

            --
            MCBastos

            -=-=-
            ... Sent from my cyborg implant.
            * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.13.2 *
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 28, 2012
              While that is true, NO windows program will run on the ARM version of Windows 8 unless it comes through the Microsoft
              'store', a la apple store. The ARM version doesn't run x86 code at all.

              Regards,
              John

              Interviewed by CNN on 28/10/2012 17:31, John Shotsky told the world:
              > Anything that runs on Windows 7 will run on Windows 8, and a few that won't work on Win 7 will work on Win 8. No 16
              bit
              > programs will run on a 64-bit operating system except in a virtual machine.
              ...as long as it's the FULL Windows 8, and not the more limited "Windows
              RT" which comes preloaded in ARM-based tablets, like the Surface.

              (Yes, Microsoft announced a "Surface Pro" tablet with specs more akin to
              an ultrabook and which will come with the full-fledged Windows 8. But
              that is still a couple months away).

              --
              MCBastos

              -=-=-
              ... Sent from my cyborg implant.
              * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.13.2 *

            • Jeffery Scism
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 29, 2012
                On 10/28/2012 12:19 PM, cefwis wrote:
                > I'm a longtime and statisfied user of NoteTab 4.95 np (yes, it's ancient -- but it's perfect for me.) I've read horror stories about how Windows 8 will not be compatibale with many older programs. Will my NoteTab (or later versions) run with Win 8 -- both clips and program itself? And thanks. -Charlie
                NO.

                I had Win 8 installed and NoteTab would not open.

                I had to reformat to get win 7 back on and it works perfectly in Win 7.

                Jeff

              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 30, 2012
                  Hi Jeff,

                  Thanks for your feedback. Did you have problems while using the Windows
                  8 beta or the final release?

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/

                  On 29/10/2012 14:49, Jeffery Scism wrote:
                  > On 10/28/2012 12:19 PM, cefwis wrote:
                  >> I'm a longtime and statisfied user of NoteTab 4.95 np (yes, it's ancient -- but it's perfect for me.) I've read horror stories about how Windows 8 will not be compatibale with many older programs. Will my NoteTab (or later versions) run with Win 8 -- both clips and program itself? And thanks. -Charlie
                  > NO.
                  >
                  > I had Win 8 installed and NoteTab would not open.
                  >
                  > I had to reformat to get win 7 back on and it works perfectly in Win 7.
                  >
                  > Jeff
                • Jeffery Scism
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 30, 2012
                    On 10/30/2012 4:57 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
                    > Hi Jeff,
                    >
                    > Thanks for your feedback. Did you have problems while using the Windows
                    > 8 beta or the final release?
                    It was the BETA.