Re: Modify, Spaces, Single Space, command

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 10, 2012
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Prince <neutrino1200@...> wrote:

      > I sometimes accidentally type extra spaces between words. I would
      > like to use the Modify, Spaces, Single Space, command but I want to
      > keep two spaces after end of sentence punctuation (period, question
      > mark and colon) and this command changes those two spaces to one
      > space. Is there a setting to change the way this works? Thank you in
      > advance for all replies.

      If you are aiming at extra spaces between words only you could try...

      RegEx: \b\x20{2,}\b
      Replace with: \x20

      instead of using the Modify command. This won't affect two spaces after end of sentence because there is no word-delimiting position.

      This is just a first approach, of course. Possibly, there are more modifications necessary in order to match various conditions...

      Regards,
      Flo
    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 10, 2012
        That spacing is a personal preference. "out of fashion" is of no significance.

        Gesendet: Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2012 um 16:03 Uhr
        Von: "Marcelo Bastos" <bytext@...>
        An: notetab@yahoogroups.com
        Betreff: Re: [NTB] Modify, Spaces, Single Space, command

        Interviewed by CNN on 10/10/2012 10:43, Daniel Prince told the world:
        > I sometimes accidentally type extra spaces between words. I would
        > like to use the Modify, Spaces, Single Space, command but I want to
        > keep two spaces after end of sentence punctuation (period, question
        > mark and colon) and this command changes those two spaces to one
        > space. Is there a setting to change the way this works? Thank you in
        > advance for all replies.
        Well, you *could* write a small clip that looks for all single-spaces
        after punctuation and inserts an extra space. It's not that hard to do,
        and you could call the "modify-single space" from inside it, so it would
        be a single operation. But...

        ...the practice seems to be out of fashion, at least for proportional fonts:

        <http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html>
        <http://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typespacing/a/onetwospaces.htm%5bhttp://desktoppub.about.com/cs/typespacing/a/onetwospaces.htm%5d>
        <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing%5bhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sentence_spacing%5d>

        --
        MCBastos

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my Original Macintosh 128kb.
        Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla%5bhttp://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla%5d

      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 10, 2012
          Interviewed by CNN on 10/10/2012 13:44, bruce.somers@... told the world:
          > That spacing is a personal preference. "out of fashion" is of no significance.

          Yes, that's why I used the term "out of fashion" instead of "incorrect"
          (as is claimed by some). The reason is that there are lots of people who
          mistakenly assume that double space between sentences is mandatory or at
          least highly recommended. I just pointed out that to the OP that it's
          actually optional and not even that popular nowadays, so he might
          consider if it's worth the trouble.

          --
          MCBastos

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my Cranberry.
        • Eb
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 10, 2012
            One possible (maybe - I haven't tested this) solution could be, to reprogram the period to produce ". ", where the space is a nonbreaking space (U00A0, or ALT+0160).

            You would be giving up the use of a period with numbers, i.e.e the decimal point would also be followed by this non-breaking space.

            See Keyboard shortcuts in NoteTab help, and the Shortcuts.dat file in NoteTab's program directory.

            Cheers,

            Eb