Associating Notetab Pro 7.1 with text files

  • Daniel Prince
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 8, 2012
      In the help file it says:

      Q. Why can't I register file types with NoteTab using "Set
      Associations" in Windows?

      A. When you install NoteTab, the setup program makes only the minimum
      required changes to the registry (which many users appreciate). As a
      result, it does not configure your Windows system for file
      associations with NoteTab.

      But the solution is really simple because file associations are
      managed directly from within NoteTab. Simply open the Options dialog
      box (you'll find the command at the bottom of the View menu), click on
      the Associations tab, and then add extensions (without the dot) one by
      one.

      I do NOT have an Associations tab in my options menu. What do I
      have to do? Thank you in advance for any help.
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 8, 2012
        In Options - View (bottom of left column) check [Show Advanced
        Features]. That will make the [Associations] tab (and some others) appear.

        On 2012-10-08 19:22, Daniel Prince wrote:
        > In the help file it says:
        >
        > Q. Why can't I register file types with NoteTab using "Set
        > Associations" in Windows?
        >
        > A. When you install NoteTab, the setup program makes only the minimum
        > required changes to the registry (which many users appreciate). As a
        > result, it does not configure your Windows system for file
        > associations with NoteTab.
        >
        > But the solution is really simple because file associations are
        > managed directly from within NoteTab. Simply open the Options dialog
        > box (you'll find the command at the bottom of the View menu), click on
        > the Associations tab, and then add extensions (without the dot) one by
        > one.
        >
        > I do NOT have an Associations tab in my options menu. What do I
        > have to do? Thank you in advance for any help.

      • hsavage
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 8, 2012
          On 10/8/2012 7:04 PM, Alec Burgess wrote:
          > In Options - View (bottom of left column) check [Show Advanced
          > Features]. That will make the [Associations] tab (and some others)
          appear.

          > On 2012-10-08 19:22, Daniel Prince wrote:
          >> In the help file it says:
          >>
          >> Q. Why can't I register file types with NoteTab using "Set
          >> Associations" in Windows?
          >>
          >> A. When you install NoteTab, the setup program makes only the minimum
          >> required changes to the registry (which many users appreciate). As a
          >> result, it does not configure your Windows system for file
          >> associations with NoteTab.
          >>
          >> But the solution is really simple because file associations are
          >> managed directly from within NoteTab. Simply open the Options dialog
          >> box (you'll find the command at the bottom of the View menu), click on
          >> the Associations tab, and then add extensions (without the dot) one by
          >> one.
          >>
          >> I do NOT have an Associations tab in my options menu. What do I
          >> have to do? Thank you in advance for any help.

          Alec,

          That would be the 'View > Options > Associations tab' to add extensions.

          ¤• JD#...282 - ¤• SL...648 - 12.10.08~19.29.48

          • I Intend To Live Forever
          • -- So Far, So Good.

          € hrs € hsavage € pobox € com^
        • neutrino12000
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2012
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

            > In Options - View (bottom of left column) check [Show Advanced
            > Features]. That will make the [Associations] tab (and some others) appear.

            Maybe that should be mentioned in the help file.
          • Alec Burgess
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 9, 2012
              I usually make it a practice with a new piece of software to take a tour
              through the settings/options panel if available. Back in 2003 if I
              remember correctly, I'm sure I turned [Advanced] on immediately and had
              never seen the un-advanced options since until this question was asked. :-)

              I guess the reason it doesn't specify in the Help for the [Advanced]
              options itself is so that if new option tabs were added later the Help
              description would still apply but agree that it would help if under each
              pane only available if [Advanced] was on that fact was noted.

              FWIW: I just turned it on and off - looks like its 17 tabs when ON and
              14 when OFF. I don't know whether any individual options with the other
              tabs disappear when Advanced=OFF.

              Which tabs are they? ... an exercise for the reader! ... :-D