Re: [NTB] Keeping Clipbars in separate libraries

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
      At 10/2/2012 10:48 AM, Joy wrote:
      >Thanks for all your time, Art. TMI for most, but some care and understand
      >the fine details and find the info useful. I'm sure many pick up all sorts
      >of useful bits and pieces from many of these Q and A's. I know I have.
      >
      >FWIW, I *HIGHLY* recommend all serious users look through the help files
      >from time to time. There are so many shortcuts, functions and features
      >that it's difficult to remember them all.
      >
      >I wish more technical info like what you provided was available in them.
      >Or did I miss that section? :)

      For the most part, no. Sometimes there is a tidbit buried in an obscure
      location but most of what I wrote is from teeth-pulling experimentation.
      The help files have a lot of info but it is not all easily accessible and
      needs so much more. Other than the additions for new features over the
      years, the NTB help files are identical - word for word, comma for comma -
      since version 4, over a dozen years ago. Documentation is not very high on
      Eric's priority list.

      The help files are primarily a clip code reference. There is a huge need
      for a clip code guide. Each new user has to go through the same painful
      learning process without much benefit of those who have gone before. A lot
      of info has been posted on these forums but it is hard to find. I have
      advocated for a crowd sourced wiki where our contributions could be
      collected, organized and be accessible with a good search engine but it
      hasn't received much traction.

      Namaste', Art
    • Eb
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 9, 2012
        The idea of using paired libraries and clipbars is suitable for FUNCTIONAL libraries. For example, a library geared for HTML editing may not have too many clips useful for, say, linear algebra.

        Plus, libraries can execute clip commands, when they are loaded (OnOpen clip), such as loading a matching clipbar.

        You could for example place identical commands into every library, which has a dedicated clipbar:

        ^!OpenClipbar ^$GetName(^$GetLibraryName$)$

        On the other hand, if you would rather mix and match your clips, you might construct various clipbars, and pick and choose clips for various libraries. In this case, you might want to add a clipbar navigation segment to your clipbar. Given plenty of screen real estate, it is advisable to place such a navigation block at the LEFT end of the clipbar, and use identical blocks of icons for each clipbar. Even including the icon to load the current clipbar. This will keep these "navigational" icons from jumping around, when you change clipbars. The same nav icon will always be in the same location. Ditto for additional clips, that you use in multiple clipbars.

        Note, that the clips for these navigational icons can all be in a single library.

        Cheers,

        Eb