Keeping Clipbars in separate libraries

  • mycroftj
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
      I think I have clipbars figured out except I don't understand the help tip that says "You may consider having separate Libraries for each Clipbar you make so it will be easier to keep track of them all."

      As far as I see, clipbars are saved in .CTB files and I can add my own .bmp icon files. These are in the Libraries folder along with the .CLB (clip code) files. I only have one Libraries folder under %appdata%\...\NoteTab so don't see where else to put anything or how this setup could get confusing.

      .. unless one wanted to keep the .bmps and associate clipbars together.

      .. Can Libraries fold have subfolders?

      Thanks for any insights.

      Joy
    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 30, 2012
        Joy: Each Library that you see in the Libraries pane at the bottom or
        in the selection pane on the left side is one .clb file. A clipbar (the
        set of icons which trigger use of a specific clip from a specific
        library with represented by an icon) are defined by the contents of a
        .clb file. In that file as you would expect are the name of the library,
        the name of the clip in that library and either the number of the icon
        for those using Notetab's icons or the name of a .bmp file). All the
        .clb, .ctb and .bmp icons are in the Libraries folder.

        The suggestion is that if you are setting custom clipbars (.CLB) that
        for each you have a custom library (.CTB) which contains all the clips
        for that clipbar. There is no requirement that you organize things this
        way, just a suggestion that it may make it easier to fix things or add
        things. The clipbar that I use 95% of the time is actually a copy of one
        that Sheri created to point to her syntax coloring stuff plus some clips
        that I've copied from standard libraries and others I've created myself.

        HTH

        On 2012-09-30 13:19, mycroftj wrote:
        > I think I have clipbars figured out except I don't understand the help
        > tip that says "You may consider having separate Libraries for each
        > Clipbar you make so it will be easier to keep track of them all."
        >
        > As far as I see, clipbars are saved in .CTB files and I can add my own
        > .bmp icon files. These are in the Libraries folder along with the .CLB
        > (clip code) files. I only have one Libraries folder under
        > %appdata%\...\NoteTab so don't see where else to put anything or how
        > this setup could get confusing.
        >
        > .. unless one wanted to keep the .bmps and associate clipbars together.
        >
        > .. Can Libraries fold have subfolders?
        >
        > Thanks for any insights.

      • mycroftj
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
          Thanks very much for the explanation but I'm still unclear. (For those trying to follow, I think there are some typos when mentioning .clb, .ctb, etc. files.)

          I do understand clipcode for an entire library is in .clb and clipbars are in .ctb All are in Libraries folder along with my user supplied .bmps

          So far, so good. Now, am I understanding you to be saying the tip is suggesting creating clipbar-A with the clips from clipcode library-A, clipbar-B with the clips from clipcode library-B and so on?

          If so, I don't see how that helps anything. The best part of clipbars is putting clips from different libraries on the same clipbar.

          Perhaps I was reading too much into that particular tip. If I completely missed something you meant, sorry - let me know.

          Thanks!
          Joy

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Alec Burgess <buralex@...> wrote:

          > Joy: Each Library that you see in the Libraries pane at the bottom or
          > in the selection pane on the left side is one .clb file. A clipbar (the
          > set of icons which trigger use of a specific clip from a specific
          > library with represented by an icon) are defined by the contents of a
          > .clb file. In that file as you would expect are the name of the library,
          > the name of the clip in that library and either the number of the icon
          > for those using Notetab's icons or the name of a .bmp file). All the
          > .clb, .ctb and .bmp icons are in the Libraries folder.
          >
          > The suggestion is that if you are setting custom clipbars (.CLB) that
          > for each you have a custom library (.CTB) which contains all the clips
          > for that clipbar. There is no requirement that you organize things this
          > way, just a suggestion that it may make it easier to fix things or add
          > things. The clipbar that I use 95% of the time is actually a copy of one
          > that Sheri created to point to her syntax coloring stuff plus some clips
          > that I've copied from standard libraries and others I've created myself.
          >
          > HTH
          >
          > On 2012-09-30 13:19, mycroftj wrote:
          > > I think I have clipbars figured out except I don't understand the help
          > > tip that says "You may consider having separate Libraries for each
          > > Clipbar you make so it will be easier to keep track of them all."
          > >
          > > As far as I see, clipbars are saved in .CTB files and I can add my own
          > > .bmp icon files. These are in the Libraries folder along with the .CLB
          > > (clip code) files. I only have one Libraries folder under
          > > %appdata%\...\NoteTab so don't see where else to put anything or how
          > > this setup could get confusing.
          > >
          > > .. unless one wanted to keep the .bmps and associate clipbars together.
          > >
          > > .. Can Libraries fold have subfolders?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any insights.
          >
          > --

        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 1, 2012
            At 10/1/2012 01:50 PM, Joy wrote:
            >Thanks very much for the explanation but I'm still unclear. (For those
            >trying to follow, I think there are some typos when mentioning .clb, .ctb,
            >etc. files.)
            >
            >I do understand clipcode for an entire library is in .clb and clipbars are
            >in .ctb All are in Libraries folder along with my user supplied .bmps
            >
            >So far, so good. Now, am I understanding you to be saying the tip is
            >suggesting creating clipbar-A with the clips from clipcode library-A,
            >clipbar-B with the clips from clipcode library-B and so on?
            >
            >If so, I don't see how that helps anything. The best part of clipbars is
            >putting clips from different libraries on the same clipbar.
            >
            >Perhaps I was reading too much into that particular tip. If I completely
            >missed something you meant, sorry - let me know.

            I agree, The single click access of custom clips on clipbars is what makes
            NTB worthwhile. Without both NTB is just another editor.

            As you surmise, clipcode libraries (*.clb) and clipbars (*.ctb) are
            completely independent. It is simply a matter of work style and personal
            preference how you organize them. I kept all my clips in one file until
            they got too numerous for easy maintenance. Then I broke them out by
            function groups into separate files but still only use one clipbar. Some
            users like to use multiple clipbars that include both common and unique
            clips and then switch between them for various task profiles. I am avoiding
            that as it means an increase in the complexity and potential for
            maintenance errors. I would like to see NTB support multiple user clipbars.
            For example, one clipbar slot for common/universal clips and another slot
            for task specific clips.

            To see how the clipbar is structured, right click on it and chose "Edit
            Clipbar". It is basically a comma delimited, plain text CSV file. The first
            field is the clipcode file name, the second the clip name within the
            referenced clipcode file and the third the name of the icon to display on
            the clipbar. Blank lines in the clipbar file appear as blank separators
            between icons 1/3 of an icon wide.

            Although by default, clipcode libraries, cliptab files and user icons are
            stored in the active libraries folder, they can actually be placed anywhere
            by including the path with the entry name. Both full paths and relative
            paths are supported. For example, in the clipbar file,
            ".\Icons\CustomIcon.bmp" references the CustomIcon.bmp file in the \Icons\
            folder under the default \libraries\ folder. (However, it does look like
            the relative path calculation for the clipcode lib has a bug. Instead of
            referencing the folder under the default \libraries\ folder, ".\AltFldr\",
            NTB looks for the folder under the exe file libraries folder. A full path
            works correctly.)

            When you right click on a button in the clipbar and choose "Button
            Properties" you are presented with a dialog window which allows you to
            select an icon for the referenced clip. The "Toolbar icons" tab displays
            the icons which built into NTB and stored in the Bitmap section of the NTB
            exe file. The "Custom Icons" tabs displays all the bmp icons in a virtual
            folder which is created by combining the current active library folder and
            the library folder under the exe file folder. Only bmp icons in these
            folders are displayed. Windows format icons (*.ico) may be used but have
            to be set by editing the clipbar file. Likewise for icons in non-default
            folder locations.

            This is probably TMI but once I get started the words just keep on coming.

            Art
          • mycroftj
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
              Thanks for all your time, Art. TMI for most, but some care and understand the fine details and find the info useful. I'm sure many pick up all sorts of useful bits and pieces from many of these Q and A's. I know I have.

              FWIW, I *HIGHLY* recommend all serious users look through the help files from time to time. There are so many shortcuts, functions and features that it's difficult to remember them all.

              I wish more technical info like what you provided was available in them. Or did I miss that section? :)

              Joy

              --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > NTB looks for the folder under the exe file libraries folder. A full path
              > works correctly.)
              >
              > When you right click on a button in the clipbar and choose "Button
              > Properties" you are presented with a dialog window which allows you to
              > select an icon for the referenced clip. The "Toolbar icons" tab displays
              > the icons which built into NTB and stored in the Bitmap section of the NTB
              > exe file. The "Custom Icons" tabs displays all the bmp icons in a virtual
              > folder which is created by combining the current active library folder and
              > the library folder under the exe file folder. Only bmp icons in these
              > folders are displayed. Windows format icons (*.ico) may be used but have
              > to be set by editing the clipbar file. Likewise for icons in non-default
              > folder locations.
              >
              > This is probably TMI but once I get started the words just keep on coming.

            • Art Kocsis
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 2, 2012
                At 10/2/2012 10:48 AM, Joy wrote:
                >Thanks for all your time, Art. TMI for most, but some care and understand
                >the fine details and find the info useful. I'm sure many pick up all sorts
                >of useful bits and pieces from many of these Q and A's. I know I have.
                >
                >FWIW, I *HIGHLY* recommend all serious users look through the help files
                >from time to time. There are so many shortcuts, functions and features
                >that it's difficult to remember them all.
                >
                >I wish more technical info like what you provided was available in them.
                >Or did I miss that section? :)

                For the most part, no. Sometimes there is a tidbit buried in an obscure
                location but most of what I wrote is from teeth-pulling experimentation.
                The help files have a lot of info but it is not all easily accessible and
                needs so much more. Other than the additions for new features over the
                years, the NTB help files are identical - word for word, comma for comma -
                since version 4, over a dozen years ago. Documentation is not very high on
                Eric's priority list.

                The help files are primarily a clip code reference. There is a huge need
                for a clip code guide. Each new user has to go through the same painful
                learning process without much benefit of those who have gone before. A lot
                of info has been posted on these forums but it is hard to find. I have
                advocated for a crowd sourced wiki where our contributions could be
                collected, organized and be accessible with a good search engine but it
                hasn't received much traction.

                Namaste', Art
              • Eb
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 9, 2012
                  The idea of using paired libraries and clipbars is suitable for FUNCTIONAL libraries. For example, a library geared for HTML editing may not have too many clips useful for, say, linear algebra.

                  Plus, libraries can execute clip commands, when they are loaded (OnOpen clip), such as loading a matching clipbar.

                  You could for example place identical commands into every library, which has a dedicated clipbar:

                  ^!OpenClipbar ^$GetName(^$GetLibraryName$)$

                  On the other hand, if you would rather mix and match your clips, you might construct various clipbars, and pick and choose clips for various libraries. In this case, you might want to add a clipbar navigation segment to your clipbar. Given plenty of screen real estate, it is advisable to place such a navigation block at the LEFT end of the clipbar, and use identical blocks of icons for each clipbar. Even including the icon to load the current clipbar. This will keep these "navigational" icons from jumping around, when you change clipbars. The same nav icon will always be in the same location. Ditto for additional clips, that you use in multiple clipbars.

                  Note, that the clips for these navigational icons can all be in a single library.

                  Cheers,

                  Eb