Re: [NTB] Re: Copy and Paste Problems with NoteTab Pro 7.01/fv

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 47 , Sep 28, 2012
      At 9/28/2012 02:25 PM, Rob wrote:
      >I worked through the suggestions in that post about Firefox; in fact I
      >reset Firefox entirely, in safe mode, disabling all add-ins. No luck.
      >
      >I installed Google Chrome and got the same exact behavior -- https site
      >up; not pasting into NTP. Https not up, pasting works.
      >
      >I ran clipbrd.exe, but it just shows my copies going in (similar to the
      >way the Office Clipboard shows them being copied). They're there, in the
      >clipboard, but if an HTTPS site is open in the web browser, I can't paste
      >into NTP still. (Although Notepad works fine, as does everything
      >else...other than EditPad).
      >
      >I tried messing with the Paste HTML clip -- both just using it "as is" and
      >bringing it over into a new clip, and it operated the same. That is, if no
      >HTTPS, it works. If HTTPS, then it pastes nothing.
      >
      >I'm about at the end of my rope with this. The problem exists across
      >browsers and across text editors, but nowhere else. I'm at least limping
      >along by watching which site I have active when I need to paste and/or not
      >having a web browser open (if possible) when I have heavy text editing to do.

      Rob,

      Without going back to reread your earlier posts what I am hearing is the
      problem exists on YOUR SYSTEM, only with NTB and Editpad, whenever ANY
      BROWSER is open to ANY HTPPS page and not otherwise.

      Those are some very strong clues to the source of the problem. You've done
      pretty well in isolating the problem so far.

      Since there is a dearth of similar complaints from other users of NTB and
      Win7 it does point to your configuration. Suggestions:

      1) Boot Windows in safe mode & test

      2) Create another user account (bare minimum) and test.
      Try installing NTB for single user rather than all Users.

      3) Save an https page locally, close the internet page and load the local
      one. Test.

      4) Download and run (no install needed), Systeminternal's Process Explorer
      [http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653%5d (freeware) to
      look for similarities and differences among the various browsers with and
      without an htpps page open.
      To minimize the TMI go to View | Select Columns and choose only enough
      columns to identify a process, View | check all the Show processes, check
      Show Lower Pane and select one of the Lower Pane Views. Run a single
      browser, click on the browser entry in Process Explorer, sort the lower
      pane on name (click on the column header) then File | Save As to an
      identifying name. This creates a text file of all the running processes and
      the handles or DLLs for the selected process. the thought here is to create
      snapshots of what handles/DLLs are active under the various test conditions
      and then to use a file comparer [Beyond Compare is the best, 30 day trial,
      http://scootersoftware.com/%5d to find the similarities/differences. This is
      a fair amount of work and may or may not be productive but Process Explorer
      is still a good tool to have in your tool box.

      5) Download and run Systeminternal's Process Monitor
      [http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645%5d. This utility
      also generates a lot of info but it has a time stamp for each event logged
      that you can relate to when you click on an https link.

      6) [The easiest] Post your problem on the SystemInsternal trouble shooting
      page [http://forum.sysinternals.com/troubleshooting_forum6.html%5d. Your
      problem is intriguing enough that it may elicit lots of help from some very
      knowledgeable people.

      Although #s 4 & 5 are highly technical and may be beyond your interest, the
      output will probably facilitate help from the forum

      7) Post your problem on Mozilla's Firefox forum and/or Bugzilla.

      8) I can't recall - did the problem appear only with Win 7 or with both
      Win7 and NTB7? Pro, Std, Lite?
      Earlier versions of same?

      9) Submit your problem directly to NoteTab Tech support.

      Good luck,

      Art
    • Pam Erickson
      Message 47 of 47 , Oct 1, 2012
        Great job figuring it out! Thanks for letting us know what caused it too. Now we'll know what to suggest if friends/family have a
        similar issue.

        Pam Erickson