Re: Basic Clip - Keyboard Macro question

  • jsc3fge
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 12, 2012
      Marcelo - Yes, I totally misunderstood! But now I have to ask, is there a way to assign a keyboard command to execute a clip/macro? SetShortcut seems to only be for menu items.

      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Marcelo Bastos <bytext@...> wrote:

      > Interviewed by CNN on 12/09/2012 12:49, jsc3fge told the world:
      > > I searched, but didn't find anything that seemed to answer my question. Also, it seemed this is more appropriate for this forum rather than the clip forum, because it is probably simple.
      > >
      > > Using NTP 7.01. I set up a keyboard macro:
      > >
      > > ^!Keyboard SHIFT+ALT+8 &50 #************************************#
      > >
      > > I added it to the Utilities library, but I can't seem to get this key combination or any other to run it. It works if I double-click on the macro, but not using the keyboard. I added the delay, "&50" after reading something here, but I don't think it's the problem. Am I doing something wrong?
      > >
      > I think you are misunderstanding what the "^!Keyboard" statement does.
      > It does not bind a key to a macro; what it does is to emulate an user
      > pressing those keys. That is, when you run that command, what it does is
      > to behave as if THE USER had pressed "Shift+Alt+8" and then keyed other
      > stuff.
      >

      > --
      > MCBastos
      >
      > This message has been protected with the 2ROT13 algorithm. Unauthorized use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
      > -=-=-
      > ... Sent from my Tamagotchi.
      > * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.12.1 *
      > Get it at http://xsidebar.mozdev.org/modifiedmailnews.html#tagzilla

    • loro
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
        At 05:13 2012-09-13, you wrote:
        >Marcelo - Yes, I totally misunderstood! But now I have to ask, is
        >there a way to assign a keyboard command to execute a
        >clip/macro? SetShortcut seems to only be for menu items.

        Yes. Not exactly in the way you mean, but in auto-replace mode you
        can execute a clip by typing its name/title. The trick is to give the
        clips names that are both understandable and easy and quick to type...

        Look up auto-replace in Help (the ordinary Help file, not Clip Help).
        As you can read there there are two ways to do this. If you want to
        create a whole auto-replace library, start by creating a new library
        as usual. Then right-click in the combo box and choose "Open as
        document". Then replace the standard header (= V5 MultiLine NoSorting
        TabWidth=30) with the below one and save the document.
        = V5 MultiLine AutoReplace TabWidth=30

        I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but I don't find it. You can
        always find the right header to use by opening one of the
        auto-replace libraries that comes with Notetab as a document and
        snatch it from there. That's what I did. ;-)

        Lotta
      • loro
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
          I wrote:
          >jsc3fge wrote:
          >>But now I have to ask, is there a way to assign a keyboard command
          >>to execute a
          > >clip/macro?
          >
          >Look up auto-replace in Help

          Also, are you familiar with the in-context clipbook (think that's
          what it's called)? If you hit the Escape key a dropdown list appears
          in the document at the cursor. It lists all clips in the open library
          and you can scroll down to the one you want by using the arrow keys
          or by typing the beginning of its name and then hit Enter to execute.

          Lotta
        • jsc3fge
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 13, 2012
            Lotta,

            Thanks. I didn't realize how this worked. I just played around with a couple of "macros" and I think it will work for me. Guess I just need to think a little differently how the program works.

            Jon

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, loro <tabbie@...> wrote:

            > At 05:13 2012-09-13, you wrote:
            > >Marcelo - Yes, I totally misunderstood! But now I have to ask, is
            > >there a way to assign a keyboard command to execute a
            > >clip/macro? SetShortcut seems to only be for menu items.
            >
            > Yes. Not exactly in the way you mean, but in auto-replace mode you
            > can execute a clip by typing its name/title. The trick is to give the
            > clips names that are both understandable and easy and quick to type...
            >
            > Look up auto-replace in Help (the ordinary Help file, not Clip Help).
            > As you can read there there are two ways to do this. If you want to
            > create a whole auto-replace library, start by creating a new library
            > as usual. Then right-click in the combo box and choose "Open as
            > document". Then replace the standard header (= V5 MultiLine NoSorting
            > TabWidth=30) with the below one and save the document.
            > = V5 MultiLine AutoReplace TabWidth=30
            >
            > I'm sure this is documented somewhere, but I don't find it. You can
            > always find the right header to use by opening one of the
            > auto-replace libraries that comes with Notetab as a document and
            > snatch it from there. That's what I did. ;-)
            >
            > Lotta
          • Eb
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 20, 2012
              Another way to run a clip/macro is to type its name into the document and then press F2 (or place the cursor on an already typed clipname and press F2. This will NOT work on clipnames containing spaces and/or punctuation.

              But it WILL work on single letter clipnames, i.e. 2 keystrokes. The clipname and the F2 key.

              Cheers,

              Eb