Re: [NTB] Re: NoteTab 7.01 final available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2012
      Hi Wayne,

      > I notice it seems to ignore spaces some of the time but not all the
      > time. That leads to results some people may find unexpected.
      >
      > For example:
      >
      > line 1. 2*3=6
      > line 1.2*3=3.6
      >
      > line #1 2*3=36
      > - 1 2*3=-36
      >
      > 1,2,34*2=2,468
      > 1, 2, 34*2=68
      >
      > 3e2+0=300
      > 3 e2+0=300
      > 3e 2+0=2

      It's true the auto-select feature isn't perfect and can be fooled with
      unusual patterns. But in the vast majority of situations it will
      correctly separate the expression from surrounding text. When a
      situation is ambiguous, you can always manually select it prior to using
      the command (just like you had to do in earlier versions of NoteTab).

      > Eric, I am not sure if you'd want to tweak the logic further to clean
      > up some of these cases, or just leave it how it is. There might not
      > be any ideal way to implement it; and the weird results are easy to
      > avoid if the user takes a tiny bit of care to avoid creating such
      > cases.

      Yes, further tweaking is always possible. And I will do it when valid
      and reasonable text and expression mixes fail to work. But there will
      always be ways to trick the system with unusual formatting.

      > Anyway, I am very happy that it works much better than prior
      > versions! Much quicker and more convenient to use now! Thanks
      > again, Eric!

      Thanks. Glad you appreciate the new capabilities.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/