Re: NoteTab 7.01 final available

  • Wayne
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
      Thanks, Eric!

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I'm pleased to announce the final release of NoteTab 7.01. It sounds
      > like a tiny update, but there are actually many significant
      > improvements. I recommend you update your 7.0 copy to this release.

      > * Improved "Calculate Expression" feature. Works without first selecting expression when line contains other text.

      :)
    • Wayne
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
        I notice it seems to ignore spaces some of the time but not all the time. That leads to results some people may find unexpected.

        For example:

        line 1. 2*3=6
        line 1.2*3=3.6

        line #1 2*3=36
        - 1 2*3=-36

        1,2,34*2=2,468
        1, 2, 34*2=68

        3e2+0=300
        3 e2+0=300
        3e 2+0=2

        Eric, I am not sure if you'd want to tweak the logic further to clean up some of these cases, or just leave it how it is. There might not be any ideal way to implement it; and the weird results are easy to avoid if the user takes a tiny bit of care to avoid creating such cases. Anyway, I am very happy that it works much better than prior versions! Much quicker and more convenient to use now! Thanks again, Eric!

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <waynemv@...> wrote:

        > Thanks, Eric!
        >
        > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi everyone,
        > >
        > > I'm pleased to announce the final release of NoteTab 7.01. It sounds
        > > like a tiny update, but there are actually many significant
        > > improvements. I recommend you update your 7.0 copy to this release.
        >
        > > * Improved "Calculate Expression" feature. Works without first selecting expression when line contains other text.
        >
        > :)

      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2012
          Hi Wayne,

          > I notice it seems to ignore spaces some of the time but not all the
          > time. That leads to results some people may find unexpected.
          >
          > For example:
          >
          > line 1. 2*3=6
          > line 1.2*3=3.6
          >
          > line #1 2*3=36
          > - 1 2*3=-36
          >
          > 1,2,34*2=2,468
          > 1, 2, 34*2=68
          >
          > 3e2+0=300
          > 3 e2+0=300
          > 3e 2+0=2

          It's true the auto-select feature isn't perfect and can be fooled with
          unusual patterns. But in the vast majority of situations it will
          correctly separate the expression from surrounding text. When a
          situation is ambiguous, you can always manually select it prior to using
          the command (just like you had to do in earlier versions of NoteTab).

          > Eric, I am not sure if you'd want to tweak the logic further to clean
          > up some of these cases, or just leave it how it is. There might not
          > be any ideal way to implement it; and the weird results are easy to
          > avoid if the user takes a tiny bit of care to avoid creating such
          > cases.

          Yes, further tweaking is always possible. And I will do it when valid
          and reasonable text and expression mixes fail to work. But there will
          always be ways to trick the system with unusual formatting.

          > Anyway, I am very happy that it works much better than prior
          > versions! Much quicker and more convenient to use now! Thanks
          > again, Eric!

          Thanks. Glad you appreciate the new capabilities.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/