NoteTab 7.01 final available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I'm pleased to announce the final release of NoteTab 7.01. It sounds
      like a tiny update, but there are actually many significant
      improvements. I recommend you update your 7.0 copy to this release.

      You can download NoteTab 7.01 from this page:
      http://www.notetab.com/download-now.php

      Have you got the paid edition of version 7? If so, you can download the
      new update through NoteTab's "Check for Updates" feature, which is
      available from the Help menu.

      Here's a list of the main changes since version 7.0:

      * You no longer need to use the /usb switch when running NoteTab from a
      USB flash drive (memory stick) under Windows XP or more recent.

      * Improved handling of Favorites feature when NoteTab is run from a USB
      flash drive.

      * Updated the regular expressions engine to the latest version.

      * Improved “Calculate Expression” feature. Works without first selecting
      expression when line contains other text. Simply place cursor at the end
      of the expression and press Ctrl+E to calculate the result. You can also
      do chained expressions 1+2=3 +3=6 +4=10. If the expression doesn’t end
      with an “=” sign, then NoteTab replaces the expression with its result.

      * The “Calculate Expression” feature and ^$Calc Clip function now assume
      the decimal and digit grouping symbols used in an expression correspond
      to the Windows region settings.

      * Improved smart quotes feature. Select text wrapped with straight
      quotes and NoteTab will replace them with smart quotes on pressing the
      Ctrl+, keys.

      * Improved the Match Brackets feature. Now also works with double quotes
      (smart and straight). When searching for "straight double quotes", place
      the cursor in the text between them.

      * Added minor improvements to several Clip libraries and templates.

      * Fixed issue with Wildcards setting that caused search dialog box to
      error in some situations when the search text was left blank.

      * Improved Clip error reporting when caused by a regular expression
      pattern error.

      * Fixed ^!Find and ^!Replace Clip commands so that they no longer change
      the settings of the standard search dialog boxes.

      * Fixed incorrect results returned by ^$StrPos, ^$StrPosRight and
      ^$StrPosMid.

      * Fixed incorrect results returned by ^$ExpandEnv when used with NoteTab
      tokens.

      Clip-code Additions
      * Added optional parameter to ^$Calc function to specify decimal and
      digit grouping symbols to override the default Windows settings. The
      first character is for the decimal symbol and the second for the digit
      grouping:
      ^$Calc(Expression[;Decimals;".,"])$
      If only the decimal symbol is specified, then no digit grouping symbol
      will be used in the result. Use letter "E" instead of a digit grouping
      symbol to always use a scientific notation in results.

      * Added pre-defined variables with the decimal and digit grouping
      symbols defined in Windows:
      ^%DECIMAL_SYMB%
      ^%THOUSAND_SYMB%

      Enjoy!

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Wayne
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
        Thanks, Eric!

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm pleased to announce the final release of NoteTab 7.01. It sounds
        > like a tiny update, but there are actually many significant
        > improvements. I recommend you update your 7.0 copy to this release.

        > * Improved "Calculate Expression" feature. Works without first selecting expression when line contains other text.

        :)
      • Wayne
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 14, 2012
          I notice it seems to ignore spaces some of the time but not all the time. That leads to results some people may find unexpected.

          For example:

          line 1. 2*3=6
          line 1.2*3=3.6

          line #1 2*3=36
          - 1 2*3=-36

          1,2,34*2=2,468
          1, 2, 34*2=68

          3e2+0=300
          3 e2+0=300
          3e 2+0=2

          Eric, I am not sure if you'd want to tweak the logic further to clean up some of these cases, or just leave it how it is. There might not be any ideal way to implement it; and the weird results are easy to avoid if the user takes a tiny bit of care to avoid creating such cases. Anyway, I am very happy that it works much better than prior versions! Much quicker and more convenient to use now! Thanks again, Eric!

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <waynemv@...> wrote:

          > Thanks, Eric!
          >
          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Eric Fookes <egroups@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi everyone,
          > >
          > > I'm pleased to announce the final release of NoteTab 7.01. It sounds
          > > like a tiny update, but there are actually many significant
          > > improvements. I recommend you update your 7.0 copy to this release.
          >
          > > * Improved "Calculate Expression" feature. Works without first selecting expression when line contains other text.
          >
          > :)

        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 15, 2012
            Hi Wayne,

            > I notice it seems to ignore spaces some of the time but not all the
            > time. That leads to results some people may find unexpected.
            >
            > For example:
            >
            > line 1. 2*3=6
            > line 1.2*3=3.6
            >
            > line #1 2*3=36
            > - 1 2*3=-36
            >
            > 1,2,34*2=2,468
            > 1, 2, 34*2=68
            >
            > 3e2+0=300
            > 3 e2+0=300
            > 3e 2+0=2

            It's true the auto-select feature isn't perfect and can be fooled with
            unusual patterns. But in the vast majority of situations it will
            correctly separate the expression from surrounding text. When a
            situation is ambiguous, you can always manually select it prior to using
            the command (just like you had to do in earlier versions of NoteTab).

            > Eric, I am not sure if you'd want to tweak the logic further to clean
            > up some of these cases, or just leave it how it is. There might not
            > be any ideal way to implement it; and the weird results are easy to
            > avoid if the user takes a tiny bit of care to avoid creating such
            > cases.

            Yes, further tweaking is always possible. And I will do it when valid
            and reasonable text and expression mixes fail to work. But there will
            always be ways to trick the system with unusual formatting.

            > Anyway, I am very happy that it works much better than prior
            > versions! Much quicker and more convenient to use now! Thanks
            > again, Eric!

            Thanks. Glad you appreciate the new capabilities.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/