Re: [NTB] Number format for math expressions

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 6, 2012
      Hi Daniel,

      The upcoming NoteTab 7.01 will use scientific notation for very large
      numbers. However, as Don explained, integers cannot exceed this range:

      -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/

      On 29/07/2012 11:49, Daniel Prince wrote:
      > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Number format for math expressions
      > From: Daniel Prince <neutrino1200@...>
      > Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:27:29 -0700
      >
      > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab Standard 4.95
      > or NoteTab Light 6.2 to raise two to the 119th power, I get this
      > answer: 664613997892457936000000000000000000.
      >
      > I would VERY much prefer to get this answer: 6.646E+0035. I think
      > that all answers that are over 100,000,000 should be in scientific
      > notation.
      >
      > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to raise two
      > to the 120th power, I get this answer: 1.3E+0036. This answer has
      > only two significant digits. I would like to have four significant
      > digits.
      >
      > Is there a Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to convert
      > numbers into scientific notation?
      >
      > I also think that all numbers greater than 10,000 should have commas
      > in them for users in the US. (I think that in Europe they use
      > periods instead of commas for this. Programs can tell which to use
      > by looking at Windows settings.)
      >
      > If a new version has these improvements, I will definitely upgrade
      > to the latest Pro version.
    • Eb
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
        Just ran across this post.

        You should be aware, that the NoteTab Calc function has an option to specify the number of decimals, by default 2:

        ^$Calc(calculation;numDecimals)$

        Hopefully Eric will retain this option, when Eric adds scientific notation.

        I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

        left-pad the number to a string length divisible by 3,
        split the string to length 3,
        assign result to a newline-delimited array,
        replace the newlines with commas.

        Cheers

        Eb

      • bruce.somers@web.de
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
          Von: Eb <ebbtidalflats@...>
          Betreff: [NTB] Re: Number format for math expressions

          I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

          But please - only if it can be toggled on and off. Not everyone wants those commas.

          Bruce