RE: [NTB] DOS Graphics Fonts

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
      At 8/4/2012 07:34 AM, John wrote:
      >Art,
      >You might take a look at DejaVu Sans Mono (which you might already
      >have installed). It supports box drawing characters, and it looks like the
      >Bitstream Vera. I've been trying it out for a month or so, and I can't really
      >tell the difference, although it has a LOT more characters. However, I don't
      >know how well NoteTab will handle the higher order characters.
      >
      >Most box drawing characters are mapped to Unicode characters now.

      Thanks.

      I do and it does look identical.

      Another font to try is Lucida Console. Again, probably already installed.
      It doesn't have the dot in the middle of the zero but the "O"s and the zero
      are distinctive. The lower case "L" vs a "1" (one), is perhaps a bit more
      distinctive than DejaVu or Bitstream. I am trying out all three.

      The major difference is the height of the chars. Lucida Console is about
      16% shorter than the others. The widths are identical. This means you
      can get significantly more lines per printed page. At 10 pts with my page
      setup parameters, I get:

      76 lines/page Lucida Console
      65 lines/page DejaVu Sans Mono
      64 lines/page Bitstream Vera Sans Mono

      The same relationship holds true on screen.

      Even though the chars are shorter, they are still quite readable.
      This is very important at 96 dpi, 9 pt fonts and my eyes! ;-)
      Displaying more lines of code on screen is a big plus for clip
      development and a dozen more lines per page seriously cuts
      the paper count.

      =======
      The box chars were Unicode chars. I was trying to display the
      box drawing chars from Firefox's about:memory. (It displays the
      memory usage for various components of FF.) All I get in NTB
      is a bunch of ???s which are a bit lacking in readability.

      How are you accessing box chars in NTB? All I see in the char
      viewer are the normal extended chars - different glyphs but the
      same chars in each char set.

      Namaste', Art
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
        I use the html codes for oddball characters in NoteTab. When viewed in a browser, they display correctly.

        Regards,
        John

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
          At 8/4/2012 06:48 PM, John wrote:
          >I use the html codes for oddball characters in NoteTab. When viewed in
          >a browser, they display correctly.

          I am sure that they do but since I am starting with a browser text capture
          and my purpose was to view it in NTB, that doesn't help.

          I'll just write a clip to convert to "|"s and "+"s. That will be readable
          enough.

          Art
        • Wayne
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 21, 2012
            You might be interested in a font called ASCII.TTF
            from http://www.apollosoft.de/ASCII/indexen.htm

            It has the old DOS characters in the the extended ASCII range.
            I am not sure why it works in some programs and not others.
            (It works in NoteTab as long as Dos ASCII is NOT checked in
            document properties. I would have expected the opposite; but
            I don't understand what that option actually does.)

            I wish I had a compressed (narrow) version of it. I am
            still searching for any reasonable font, with the old DOS line
            drawing characters, that will print 17 characters per inch
            horizontally while also printing 6-7 lines per inch vertically.

            Wayne VanWeerthuizen