Re: [NTB] DOS Graphics Fonts

  • Marcelo Bastos
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
      Interviewed by CNN on 04/08/2012 10:42, Art Kocsis told the world:
      > John,
      >
      > You had some home runs recently with your font suggestions - I really
      > like the bitstream Vera sans - would you like to score a bonus???
      >
      > I need a font to show the old DOS graphic screen characters that will
      > work in NTB. Do you know of any?

      The Windows Terminal font mostly works, but not quite. If what you want
      is just to be able to see ASCII art (like in .diz and .nfo files), there
      are a number of specialized viewers for that, like DAMN NFo Viewer,
      dizzy, getdiz, iNFekt, nfopad, nfostoners. I have used both dizzy and
      iNFekt. There are ASCII art editors out there too, with specialized
      features more akin to a graphics editor than a text editor, but I didn't
      search for them very much.

      --
      MCBastos

      -=-=-
      ... Sent from my U.S. Robotics Pilot 100.
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
        At 8/4/2012 07:34 AM, John wrote:
        >Art,
        >You might take a look at DejaVu Sans Mono (which you might already
        >have installed). It supports box drawing characters, and it looks like the
        >Bitstream Vera. I've been trying it out for a month or so, and I can't really
        >tell the difference, although it has a LOT more characters. However, I don't
        >know how well NoteTab will handle the higher order characters.
        >
        >Most box drawing characters are mapped to Unicode characters now.

        Thanks.

        I do and it does look identical.

        Another font to try is Lucida Console. Again, probably already installed.
        It doesn't have the dot in the middle of the zero but the "O"s and the zero
        are distinctive. The lower case "L" vs a "1" (one), is perhaps a bit more
        distinctive than DejaVu or Bitstream. I am trying out all three.

        The major difference is the height of the chars. Lucida Console is about
        16% shorter than the others. The widths are identical. This means you
        can get significantly more lines per printed page. At 10 pts with my page
        setup parameters, I get:

        76 lines/page Lucida Console
        65 lines/page DejaVu Sans Mono
        64 lines/page Bitstream Vera Sans Mono

        The same relationship holds true on screen.

        Even though the chars are shorter, they are still quite readable.
        This is very important at 96 dpi, 9 pt fonts and my eyes! ;-)
        Displaying more lines of code on screen is a big plus for clip
        development and a dozen more lines per page seriously cuts
        the paper count.

        =======
        The box chars were Unicode chars. I was trying to display the
        box drawing chars from Firefox's about:memory. (It displays the
        memory usage for various components of FF.) All I get in NTB
        is a bunch of ???s which are a bit lacking in readability.

        How are you accessing box chars in NTB? All I see in the char
        viewer are the normal extended chars - different glyphs but the
        same chars in each char set.

        Namaste', Art
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
          I use the html codes for oddball characters in NoteTab. When viewed in a browser, they display correctly.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2012
            At 8/4/2012 06:48 PM, John wrote:
            >I use the html codes for oddball characters in NoteTab. When viewed in
            >a browser, they display correctly.

            I am sure that they do but since I am starting with a browser text capture
            and my purpose was to view it in NTB, that doesn't help.

            I'll just write a clip to convert to "|"s and "+"s. That will be readable
            enough.

            Art
          • Wayne
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 21, 2012
              You might be interested in a font called ASCII.TTF
              from http://www.apollosoft.de/ASCII/indexen.htm

              It has the old DOS characters in the the extended ASCII range.
              I am not sure why it works in some programs and not others.
              (It works in NoteTab as long as Dos ASCII is NOT checked in
              document properties. I would have expected the opposite; but
              I don't understand what that option actually does.)

              I wish I had a compressed (narrow) version of it. I am
              still searching for any reasonable font, with the old DOS line
              drawing characters, that will print 17 characters per inch
              horizontally while also printing 6-7 lines per inch vertically.

              Wayne VanWeerthuizen