Re: [NTB] Spelling Checker

  • Greg Chapman
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
      Hi Bruce,

      On 03 Aug 12 16:52 bruce.somers@... said:

      > Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it
      > doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

      TinySpell won't show up in NoteTab. It works in a very different way
      to most spell checkers.

      It captures keystrokes made anywhere in the Windows environment rather
      than checking the text entered in a particular window - as a result it
      only checks as you type and can't be made to re-check a word once
      you've started typing the next word.

      You'll also need the paid-for version to get multiple languages.

      While it's very good at what it does, I'd say it was only really
      useful for programs that have no facility for installing a dedicated
      spell checker.

      Greg
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 6, 2012
        Hi Daniel,

        The upcoming NoteTab 7.01 will use scientific notation for very large
        numbers. However, as Don explained, integers cannot exceed this range:

        -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/

        On 29/07/2012 11:49, Daniel Prince wrote:
        > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Number format for math expressions
        > From: Daniel Prince <neutrino1200@...>
        > Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:27:29 -0700
        >
        > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab Standard 4.95
        > or NoteTab Light 6.2 to raise two to the 119th power, I get this
        > answer: 664613997892457936000000000000000000.
        >
        > I would VERY much prefer to get this answer: 6.646E+0035. I think
        > that all answers that are over 100,000,000 should be in scientific
        > notation.
        >
        > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to raise two
        > to the 120th power, I get this answer: 1.3E+0036. This answer has
        > only two significant digits. I would like to have four significant
        > digits.
        >
        > Is there a Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to convert
        > numbers into scientific notation?
        >
        > I also think that all numbers greater than 10,000 should have commas
        > in them for users in the US. (I think that in Europe they use
        > periods instead of commas for this. Programs can tell which to use
        > by looking at Windows settings.)
        >
        > If a new version has these improvements, I will definitely upgrade
        > to the latest Pro version.
      • Eb
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
          Just ran across this post.

          You should be aware, that the NoteTab Calc function has an option to specify the number of decimals, by default 2:

          ^$Calc(calculation;numDecimals)$

          Hopefully Eric will retain this option, when Eric adds scientific notation.

          I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

          left-pad the number to a string length divisible by 3,
          split the string to length 3,
          assign result to a newline-delimited array,
          replace the newlines with commas.

          Cheers

          Eb

        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
            Von: Eb <ebbtidalflats@...>
            Betreff: [NTB] Re: Number format for math expressions

            I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

            But please - only if it can be toggled on and off. Not everyone wants those commas.

            Bruce