Re: [NTB] Spelling Checker

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
      >Alec (buralex@gmail wrote:
      >Looks like you have to go to Tools - Spelling - Options.
      >Maybe you have both an English and a German dictionary selected?
      >If it really is a dictionary containing both (where did you get it?) you
      >will need to add the missing dictionaries and then turn one off - spell
      >check - then turn off it and turn the other on and check again.

      I'm afraid I corrupted [the] dictionary myself by adding words carelessly. I hope that I can download the dictionaries anew and start over again.

      Is it possible to specify the desired dictionary at the moment when the spelling checker is invoked? I don't see it.

      Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

      Bruce

    • Greg Chapman
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
        Hi Bruce,

        On 03 Aug 12 16:52 bruce.somers@... said:

        > Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it
        > doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

        TinySpell won't show up in NoteTab. It works in a very different way
        to most spell checkers.

        It captures keystrokes made anywhere in the Windows environment rather
        than checking the text entered in a particular window - as a result it
        only checks as you type and can't be made to re-check a word once
        you've started typing the next word.

        You'll also need the paid-for version to get multiple languages.

        While it's very good at what it does, I'd say it was only really
        useful for programs that have no facility for installing a dedicated
        spell checker.

        Greg
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 6, 2012
          Hi Daniel,

          The upcoming NoteTab 7.01 will use scientific notation for very large
          numbers. However, as Don explained, integers cannot exceed this range:

          -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/

          On 29/07/2012 11:49, Daniel Prince wrote:
          > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
          > Subject: Number format for math expressions
          > From: Daniel Prince <neutrino1200@...>
          > Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:27:29 -0700
          >
          > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab Standard 4.95
          > or NoteTab Light 6.2 to raise two to the 119th power, I get this
          > answer: 664613997892457936000000000000000000.
          >
          > I would VERY much prefer to get this answer: 6.646E+0035. I think
          > that all answers that are over 100,000,000 should be in scientific
          > notation.
          >
          > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to raise two
          > to the 120th power, I get this answer: 1.3E+0036. This answer has
          > only two significant digits. I would like to have four significant
          > digits.
          >
          > Is there a Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to convert
          > numbers into scientific notation?
          >
          > I also think that all numbers greater than 10,000 should have commas
          > in them for users in the US. (I think that in Europe they use
          > periods instead of commas for this. Programs can tell which to use
          > by looking at Windows settings.)
          >
          > If a new version has these improvements, I will definitely upgrade
          > to the latest Pro version.
        • Eb
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
            Just ran across this post.

            You should be aware, that the NoteTab Calc function has an option to specify the number of decimals, by default 2:

            ^$Calc(calculation;numDecimals)$

            Hopefully Eric will retain this option, when Eric adds scientific notation.

            I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

            left-pad the number to a string length divisible by 3,
            split the string to length 3,
            assign result to a newline-delimited array,
            replace the newlines with commas.

            Cheers

            Eb

          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
              Von: Eb <ebbtidalflats@...>
              Betreff: [NTB] Re: Number format for math expressions

              I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

              But please - only if it can be toggled on and off. Not everyone wants those commas.

              Bruce