Re: [NTB] Spelling Checker

  • Alec Burgess
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
      On 2012-08-02 10:59, bruce.somers@... wrote:
      > I have a dictionary file that contains both English and German words.
      >
      > I would like to separate those and then to run two separate spelling
      > checks on my files, but I haven't found the tips that I need for that
      > in Help. Can anyone assist me?
      >
      > Bruce
      Looks like you have to go to Tools - Spelling - Options.
      Maybe you have both an English and a German dictionary selected?
      If it really is a dictionary containing both (where did you get it?) you
      will need to add the missing dictionaries and then turn one off - spell
      check - then turn off it and turn the other on and check again.

      Caution: this solution is untested, just based on the options I see.
    • flo.gehrke
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

        > I have a dictionary file that contains both English and German words.
        > I would like to separate those and then to run two separate spelling
        > checks on my files, but I haven't found the tips that I need for that
        > in Help. Can anyone assist me?
        >
        > Bruce

        IMHO, the basics of this task were explained with the answers to your topic "Rudimentary spelling checker", Basic Group, 07/19/2011, #22186 ff ? What are you still missing?

        Just make a copy of that UDT file, and remove English words from the original file resp. German words from the copy...

        Regards,
        Flo
      • bruce.somers@web.de
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
          >Alec (buralex@gmail wrote:
          >Looks like you have to go to Tools - Spelling - Options.
          >Maybe you have both an English and a German dictionary selected?
          >If it really is a dictionary containing both (where did you get it?) you
          >will need to add the missing dictionaries and then turn one off - spell
          >check - then turn off it and turn the other on and check again.

          I'm afraid I corrupted [the] dictionary myself by adding words carelessly. I hope that I can download the dictionaries anew and start over again.

          Is it possible to specify the desired dictionary at the moment when the spelling checker is invoked? I don't see it.

          Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

          Bruce

        • Greg Chapman
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
            Hi Bruce,

            On 03 Aug 12 16:52 bruce.somers@... said:

            > Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it
            > doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

            TinySpell won't show up in NoteTab. It works in a very different way
            to most spell checkers.

            It captures keystrokes made anywhere in the Windows environment rather
            than checking the text entered in a particular window - as a result it
            only checks as you type and can't be made to re-check a word once
            you've started typing the next word.

            You'll also need the paid-for version to get multiple languages.

            While it's very good at what it does, I'd say it was only really
            useful for programs that have no facility for installing a dedicated
            spell checker.

            Greg
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 6, 2012
              Hi Daniel,

              The upcoming NoteTab 7.01 will use scientific notation for very large
              numbers. However, as Don explained, integers cannot exceed this range:

              -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/

              On 29/07/2012 11:49, Daniel Prince wrote:
              > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: Number format for math expressions
              > From: Daniel Prince <neutrino1200@...>
              > Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:27:29 -0700
              >
              > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab Standard 4.95
              > or NoteTab Light 6.2 to raise two to the 119th power, I get this
              > answer: 664613997892457936000000000000000000.
              >
              > I would VERY much prefer to get this answer: 6.646E+0035. I think
              > that all answers that are over 100,000,000 should be in scientific
              > notation.
              >
              > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to raise two
              > to the 120th power, I get this answer: 1.3E+0036. This answer has
              > only two significant digits. I would like to have four significant
              > digits.
              >
              > Is there a Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to convert
              > numbers into scientific notation?
              >
              > I also think that all numbers greater than 10,000 should have commas
              > in them for users in the US. (I think that in Europe they use
              > periods instead of commas for this. Programs can tell which to use
              > by looking at Windows settings.)
              >
              > If a new version has these improvements, I will definitely upgrade
              > to the latest Pro version.
            • Eb
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
                Just ran across this post.

                You should be aware, that the NoteTab Calc function has an option to specify the number of decimals, by default 2:

                ^$Calc(calculation;numDecimals)$

                Hopefully Eric will retain this option, when Eric adds scientific notation.

                I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

                left-pad the number to a string length divisible by 3,
                split the string to length 3,
                assign result to a newline-delimited array,
                replace the newlines with commas.

                Cheers

                Eb

              • bruce.somers@web.de
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
                  Von: Eb <ebbtidalflats@...>
                  Betreff: [NTB] Re: Number format for math expressions

                  I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

                  But please - only if it can be toggled on and off. Not everyone wants those commas.

                  Bruce