Spelling Checker

  • bruce.somers@web.de
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
      I have a dictionary file that contains both English and German words.

      I would like to separate those and then to run two separate spelling checks on my files, but I haven't found the tips that I need for that in Help. Can anyone assist me?

      Bruce

    • Alec Burgess
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
        On 2012-08-02 10:59, bruce.somers@... wrote:
        > I have a dictionary file that contains both English and German words.
        >
        > I would like to separate those and then to run two separate spelling
        > checks on my files, but I haven't found the tips that I need for that
        > in Help. Can anyone assist me?
        >
        > Bruce
        Looks like you have to go to Tools - Spelling - Options.
        Maybe you have both an English and a German dictionary selected?
        If it really is a dictionary containing both (where did you get it?) you
        will need to add the missing dictionaries and then turn one off - spell
        check - then turn off it and turn the other on and check again.

        Caution: this solution is untested, just based on the options I see.
      • flo.gehrke
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2, 2012
          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

          > I have a dictionary file that contains both English and German words.
          > I would like to separate those and then to run two separate spelling
          > checks on my files, but I haven't found the tips that I need for that
          > in Help. Can anyone assist me?
          >
          > Bruce

          IMHO, the basics of this task were explained with the answers to your topic "Rudimentary spelling checker", Basic Group, 07/19/2011, #22186 ff ? What are you still missing?

          Just make a copy of that UDT file, and remove English words from the original file resp. German words from the copy...

          Regards,
          Flo
        • bruce.somers@web.de
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
            >Alec (buralex@gmail wrote:
            >Looks like you have to go to Tools - Spelling - Options.
            >Maybe you have both an English and a German dictionary selected?
            >If it really is a dictionary containing both (where did you get it?) you
            >will need to add the missing dictionaries and then turn one off - spell
            >check - then turn off it and turn the other on and check again.

            I'm afraid I corrupted [the] dictionary myself by adding words carelessly. I hope that I can download the dictionaries anew and start over again.

            Is it possible to specify the desired dictionary at the moment when the spelling checker is invoked? I don't see it.

            Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

            Bruce

          • Greg Chapman
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3, 2012
              Hi Bruce,

              On 03 Aug 12 16:52 bruce.somers@... said:

              > Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it
              > doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

              TinySpell won't show up in NoteTab. It works in a very different way
              to most spell checkers.

              It captures keystrokes made anywhere in the Windows environment rather
              than checking the text entered in a particular window - as a result it
              only checks as you type and can't be made to re-check a word once
              you've started typing the next word.

              You'll also need the paid-for version to get multiple languages.

              While it's very good at what it does, I'd say it was only really
              useful for programs that have no facility for installing a dedicated
              spell checker.

              Greg
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 6, 2012
                Hi Daniel,

                The upcoming NoteTab 7.01 will use scientific notation for very large
                numbers. However, as Don explained, integers cannot exceed this range:

                -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

                On 29/07/2012 11:49, Daniel Prince wrote:
                > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Number format for math expressions
                > From: Daniel Prince <neutrino1200@...>
                > Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:27:29 -0700
                >
                > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab Standard 4.95
                > or NoteTab Light 6.2 to raise two to the 119th power, I get this
                > answer: 664613997892457936000000000000000000.
                >
                > I would VERY much prefer to get this answer: 6.646E+0035. I think
                > that all answers that are over 100,000,000 should be in scientific
                > notation.
                >
                > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to raise two
                > to the 120th power, I get this answer: 1.3E+0036. This answer has
                > only two significant digits. I would like to have four significant
                > digits.
                >
                > Is there a Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to convert
                > numbers into scientific notation?
                >
                > I also think that all numbers greater than 10,000 should have commas
                > in them for users in the US. (I think that in Europe they use
                > periods instead of commas for this. Programs can tell which to use
                > by looking at Windows settings.)
                >
                > If a new version has these improvements, I will definitely upgrade
                > to the latest Pro version.
              • Eb
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
                  Just ran across this post.

                  You should be aware, that the NoteTab Calc function has an option to specify the number of decimals, by default 2:

                  ^$Calc(calculation;numDecimals)$

                  Hopefully Eric will retain this option, when Eric adds scientific notation.

                  I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

                  left-pad the number to a string length divisible by 3,
                  split the string to length 3,
                  assign result to a newline-delimited array,
                  replace the newlines with commas.

                  Cheers

                  Eb

                • bruce.somers@web.de
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 8, 2012
                    Von: Eb <ebbtidalflats@...>
                    Betreff: [NTB] Re: Number format for math expressions

                    I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

                    But please - only if it can be toggled on and off. Not everyone wants those commas.

                    Bruce