Re: [NTB] Number format for math expressions

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 30, 2012
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dmc43959@...> wrote:

      > Here are the examples that I did. If anyone reading this has
      > better information than this, please submit it here. If I am
      > wrong in my assumptions about any of the items below I would
      > like to get the correct information. Thank you.
      > EXAMPLES OF NOTETAB'S MATH OPERATOR AND FUNCTION USAGES:
      > 14 + 9 = 23
      > 23 - 9 = 14
      > 7.31 * 16.75 = 122.4425...

      Thanks, Dave! I can assure you that your "assumptions" are quite correct.

      BTW, I noticed that -- by pure chance -- those lines are identical to the Help file (except that the order of lines was changed a bit).

      Maybe there's no need to post about 110 lines from the Help file -- I think it would just suffice to refer to 'Help > How to > Calculate in NoteTab'.

      Regards,
      Flo

      Note: It has all been said -- but not yet by everyone!
    • bruce.somers@web.de
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 2 7:59 AM
        I have a dictionary file that contains both English and German words.

        I would like to separate those and then to run two separate spelling checks on my files, but I haven't found the tips that I need for that in Help. Can anyone assist me?

        Bruce

      • Alec Burgess
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 2 1:10 PM
          On 2012-08-02 10:59, bruce.somers@... wrote:
          > I have a dictionary file that contains both English and German words.
          >
          > I would like to separate those and then to run two separate spelling
          > checks on my files, but I haven't found the tips that I need for that
          > in Help. Can anyone assist me?
          >
          > Bruce
          Looks like you have to go to Tools - Spelling - Options.
          Maybe you have both an English and a German dictionary selected?
          If it really is a dictionary containing both (where did you get it?) you
          will need to add the missing dictionaries and then turn one off - spell
          check - then turn off it and turn the other on and check again.

          Caution: this solution is untested, just based on the options I see.
        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 2 1:29 PM
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, bruce.somers@... wrote:

            > I have a dictionary file that contains both English and German words.
            > I would like to separate those and then to run two separate spelling
            > checks on my files, but I haven't found the tips that I need for that
            > in Help. Can anyone assist me?
            >
            > Bruce

            IMHO, the basics of this task were explained with the answers to your topic "Rudimentary spelling checker", Basic Group, 07/19/2011, #22186 ff ? What are you still missing?

            Just make a copy of that UDT file, and remove English words from the original file resp. German words from the copy...

            Regards,
            Flo
          • bruce.somers@web.de
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 3 8:52 AM
              >Alec (buralex@gmail wrote:
              >Looks like you have to go to Tools - Spelling - Options.
              >Maybe you have both an English and a German dictionary selected?
              >If it really is a dictionary containing both (where did you get it?) you
              >will need to add the missing dictionaries and then turn one off - spell
              >check - then turn off it and turn the other on and check again.

              I'm afraid I corrupted [the] dictionary myself by adding words carelessly. I hope that I can download the dictionaries anew and start over again.

              Is it possible to specify the desired dictionary at the moment when the spelling checker is invoked? I don't see it.

              Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

              Bruce

            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 3 9:23 AM
                Hi Bruce,

                On 03 Aug 12 16:52 bruce.somers@... said:

                > Someone recommended tinySpell. I have tinySpell loaded, but it
                > doesn't show up in NoteTab. Is there a trick?

                TinySpell won't show up in NoteTab. It works in a very different way
                to most spell checkers.

                It captures keystrokes made anywhere in the Windows environment rather
                than checking the text entered in a particular window - as a result it
                only checks as you type and can't be made to re-check a word once
                you've started typing the next word.

                You'll also need the paid-for version to get multiple languages.

                While it's very good at what it does, I'd say it was only really
                useful for programs that have no facility for installing a dedicated
                spell checker.

                Greg
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 6 8:20 AM
                  Hi Daniel,

                  The upcoming NoteTab 7.01 will use scientific notation for very large
                  numbers. However, as Don explained, integers cannot exceed this range:

                  -9,223,372,036,854,775,808 to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/

                  On 29/07/2012 11:49, Daniel Prince wrote:
                  > To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Number format for math expressions
                  > From: Daniel Prince <neutrino1200@...>
                  > Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 02:27:29 -0700
                  >
                  > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab Standard 4.95
                  > or NoteTab Light 6.2 to raise two to the 119th power, I get this
                  > answer: 664613997892457936000000000000000000.
                  >
                  > I would VERY much prefer to get this answer: 6.646E+0035. I think
                  > that all answers that are over 100,000,000 should be in scientific
                  > notation.
                  >
                  > If I use the Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to raise two
                  > to the 120th power, I get this answer: 1.3E+0036. This answer has
                  > only two significant digits. I would like to have four significant
                  > digits.
                  >
                  > Is there a Calculate Expression function in NoteTab to convert
                  > numbers into scientific notation?
                  >
                  > I also think that all numbers greater than 10,000 should have commas
                  > in them for users in the US. (I think that in Europe they use
                  > periods instead of commas for this. Programs can tell which to use
                  > by looking at Windows settings.)
                  >
                  > If a new version has these improvements, I will definitely upgrade
                  > to the latest Pro version.
                • Eb
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 8 9:33 AM
                    Just ran across this post.

                    You should be aware, that the NoteTab Calc function has an option to specify the number of decimals, by default 2:

                    ^$Calc(calculation;numDecimals)$

                    Hopefully Eric will retain this option, when Eric adds scientific notation.

                    I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

                    left-pad the number to a string length divisible by 3,
                    split the string to length 3,
                    assign result to a newline-delimited array,
                    replace the newlines with commas.

                    Cheers

                    Eb

                  • bruce.somers@web.de
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 8 1:17 PM
                      Von: Eb <ebbtidalflats@...>
                      Betreff: [NTB] Re: Number format for math expressions

                      I too am in favor of adding comma-grouping to large numbers. Though a clip could do this fairly easily, using the steps:

                      But please - only if it can be toggled on and off. Not everyone wants those commas.

                      Bruce