RE: [NTB] setting notetab standard as .txt default program - but NOT the notetab pro ??

  • Harold Noffke
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 23, 2012
      Great advice!

      -----Original Message-----
      From: notetab@yahoogroups.com [mailto:notetab@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of
      John Shotsky
      Sent: Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:40 PM
      To: notetab@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: RE: [NTB] setting notetab standard as .txt default program - but
      NOT the notetab pro ??

      For changing the icons used on files, I use:
      http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

      This lets you select icons from within the resource file of any program.
      NoteTab 7 has the new one, the old red cross, and one other. When using this
      program, it tells you which is the default program for each file type, and
      you can change it there. You can select the icon you want to display out of
      any program, if you know of one that has an icon you want to use.

      Although I skipped Vista, I found that in Windows 7, file type icons are
      defaulted to Windows' styles, unless explicitly overwritten by an install of
      software. I have one program that has about 20 file types, all unique, and
      after installation into Windows 7, they all had the same icon. I used
      FileTypesManager to change them all back. Once they are set, they seem to
      'stick' forever. I think Windows makes a copy of the icon, then keeps that
      in a folder in Windows.

      Of course, you can also do it manually in Windows, but this program makes it
      much more efficient.
      Regards,
      John
      RecipeTools Web Site: <http://recipetools.gotdns.com/>
      http://recipetools.gotdns.com/

      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
        Notetab Pro 6.2; Windows 7
        Notepro.ini, the file which controls how Notetab starts and all its
        defaults, disappeared between yesterday and now, leaving Notetab in a default
        state. I have restored the status quo from a laptop copy, but am at a loss to
        explain how this could have happened.

        Any ideas?

        --

        ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
        West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 26, 2012
            A.T.Hirtenstein:

            I have no ideas, other than to say this happened to me a number of times
            before NT7 Pro became available. If Fookes Software saw this as an issue,
            perhaps someone there could brief us on how they addressed this problem.

            Since I installed NT7 Pro, I've not seen this problem reappear.

            Kind regards,

            RetiredEngineer1

            Notepro.ini, the file which controls how Notetab starts and all its
            defaults, disappeared between yesterday and now, leaving Notetab in a
            default
            state. I have restored the status quo from a laptop copy, but am at a loss
            explain how this could have happened.

            Any ideas?

            --

            ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
            West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...
            <mailto:tonyh%40highlands.cix.co.uk> >
            "If you take refuge in God, He will bring what you need when you need it."

          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28, 2012
              Hi Alev,

              Take a look at the first FAQ item on this page:
              http://www.notetab.com/faq-using.php

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/

              On 20/07/2012 06:45, alev.yadigar wrote:
              > using windows 7
              > I could set the notetab standard 7 OK as a default program for .txt files
              > But I cannot do it for notetab pro 7?
              >
              > there must be a bug I cannot resolve?
              > please help
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 28, 2012
                Hi Harold,

                Did you see this FAQ (first one on page)?

                On 27/07/2012 00:09, Harold Noffke wrote:
                > I have no ideas, other than to say this happened to me a number of times
                > before NT7 Pro became available. If Fookes Software saw this as an issue,
                > perhaps someone there could brief us on how they addressed this problem.
                >
                > Since I installed NT7 Pro, I've not seen this problem reappear.
                >
                > Kind regards,
                > RetiredEngineer1
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 28, 2012
                  I forgot to add the following:

                  NoteTab cannot share file associations between NoteTab Pro and Std.
                  NoteTab removes file associations to it when you uninstall. And file
                  associations are not automatically updated when you reinstall NoteTab or
                  "side install" in a different folder. You need to add them back through
                  the Associations tab in the Options dialog box.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 28, 2012
                    Hi Eric,

                    I found the FAQ and understand your design motivations. Thanks for the
                    pointer.

                    Many thanks,