RE: [NTB] Converting HTML to Kindle accepted HTML

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 23 4:26 AM
      Get Calibre. Import the html file, (filtered, from Word), convert to whatever type ebook you want.
      http://calibre-ebook.com/

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 23 6:05 AM
        Many thanks to you, John.
        Dave Stover

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 23 6:06 AM
          Okay, thanks Bob.

          Under the Tools menu use Tidy HTML Code to identify the Word junk to be
          removed.

          Bob

          On 23 July 2012 16:16, actxiom < davestover@... > wrote:

          > Hello,
          > I was referred to this site as the place to convert a saved file to HTML
          > in Word to a trimmed down (I assume that means getting rid of all that
          > superfluous stuff) so that I can upload a book to Kindle.
          >
          > So, do I first convert my 170 page book to "filtered HTML" in Word and
          > then open Notetab and "save as"? Or how does this happen?
          >
          > Thanks for any response. I started using HTML in the mid 90's, when things
          > were simple (well, creating tables, inside tables, inside of tables was a
          > pain in the backside)
          >
          > Actxiom

        • Dave Stover
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 23 6:08 AM
            Thanks, Adrien. I will try them all.
            Actxiom or Dave

            > means getting rid of all that superfluous stuff) so that I can upload a book to Kindle.

            Sigil is all what you need:
            http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
            ... perhaps also Callibre.
            --
            Adrien

          • actxiom
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 24 10:41 AM
              Many thanks John.
              The Calibre web site is so simple and straightforward. I was able to convert to EPUB file. The style function of Word created an ugly mess in the table of contents, but it links perfectly. Needs tweaking but that is the least of my concerns.
              Thanks again.
              Dave

              > Get Calibre. Import the html file, (filtered, from Word), convert to whatever type ebook you want.
              > http://calibre-ebook.com/
              >
              > Regards,
              > John

            • Dave Stover
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 26 1:10 PM
                Excellent advice. Conversion took seconds. Many thanks for the reference to "calibre." I owe you. What about a flagon of ale at the nearest pub?

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 26 1:44 PM
                  Shore, are you in the Portland area?

                  I use Calibre just about every day. My clb library (RecipeClips) creates html files, with photos, and sends it via the
                  command line to Calibre, for a finished ebook. It does the reverse too � converts ebook cookbooks to xml files that can
                  be sent into a recipe manager � all via command line, and with just a couple clicks.

                  Regards,
                  John

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 28 8:28 AM
                    I live in Denver John. I have a niece and children that live in Portland.
                    I looked at your website. I hardly understand a word of it but applaud your marketing effort.
                    I will take a closer look later. Trying to get my friends book on Kindle. Just about there. Actually I have loaded the book on but then had to edit it. I was unable to get the Save As A Draft button to work. The book is "STOP Flushing Your Money Down The Drain," by Dave Thyfault. $2.99. It is in some kind of review by Amazon. Should be out shortly.

                    Later, and again thanks.

                    Dave S. (Actxiom)