Re: [NTB] NoteTab7 Not Registering Itself With Windows W7x64

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
      Hi Harold,

      > Should I uninstall NT6 *before* I install NT7? Or, is installing NT7 "over
      > the top" of NT6 the preferred, or at least OK, upgrade approach needed?

      You don't need version 6 at all. You can choose to keep version 6 and
      install version 7 in a different folder. You can also install version 7
      over version 6 (just make sure you first close NoteTab before doing
      that). Or you can uninstall version 6 before installing 7.

      You choose :)

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Pam Erickson
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
        I installed NT7 into its default location and did not uninstall version 6. It uses all of the same files that NT6 uses in this
        folder though:

        C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

        I'm using Vista with the UAC enabled. I didn't run into any troubles with it. Both NT6 and NT7 run well. I keep an eye on my NoteTab
        Pro folder on a regular basis (to add clip libraries, etc.), so I just have it listed in the FAVORITE LINKS section of Windows
        Explorer so it's quick and easy to access with one click. Many programs including NoteTab have files installed to the AppData
        subfolders, so I just keep that folder backed up on a daily basis to an online back-up service.

        Pam Erickson

        Should I uninstall NT6 *before* I install NT7? Or, is installing NT7 "over
        the top" of NT6 the preferred, or at least OK, upgrade approach needed?

        Kind regards,

        Harold

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
          Hi Eric

          Slightly different situation as I have XP, but more of the same
          wrinkles.

          I had NT 6 Light on XP, closed it and installed NT 7 Light. Worked
          fine.

          When I checked Windows' Add or Remove Programs, saw that it now had 2
          listings for NoteTab, both 6 and 7.

          Figured I might as well remove NT 6 to save 3+ meg of disk space shown
          there. Told it to uninstall 6 and it removed both 6 and 7 despite
          still showing NT 7 in the program listing.

          Used System Restore and got both back. Life is full of mysteries.
          Guess they'll both have to stay.

          regards
          Steve in Thunder Bay

          Eric Fookes on Jul 5, 2012 wrote:
          Hi Harold,
          > Should I uninstall NT6 *before* I install NT7? Or, is installing
          > NT7 "over
          > the top" of NT6 the preferred, or at least OK, upgrade approach
          > needed?
          You don't need version 6 at all. You can choose to keep version 6 and
          install version 7 in a different folder. You can also install version
          7
          over version 6 (just make sure you first close NoteTab before doing
          that). Or you can uninstall version 6 before installing 7.
          You choose :)
          Regards,
          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
            Hi Steve,

            Thanks for your feedback. Had you installed both versions in the same
            folder?

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/

            On 06/07/2012 19:26, S or J wrote:
            > Hi Eric
            >
            > Slightly different situation as I have XP, but more of the same
            > wrinkles.
            >
            > I had NT 6 Light on XP, closed it and installed NT 7 Light. Worked
            > fine.
            >
            > When I checked Windows' Add or Remove Programs, saw that it now had 2
            > listings for NoteTab, both 6 and 7.
            >
            > Figured I might as well remove NT 6 to save 3+ meg of disk space shown
            > there. Told it to uninstall 6 and it removed both 6 and 7 despite
            > still showing NT 7 in the program listing.
            >
            > Used System Restore and got both back. Life is full of mysteries.
            > Guess they'll both have to stay.
            >
            > regards
            > Steve in Thunder Bay
          • S or J
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012
              Hi Eric

              Yes, both 6 and then 7 were installed in the same folder.

              That would likely mean that 7 replaced some 6 components with entirely
              new ones, but perhaps the same name. A subsequent XP Remove Program
              command applied to what it thought was 6 would then have crippled 7.

              It is not the first time that System Restore has saved the day after a
              poor choice on my part.

              7 works fine now and I have a big hard drive so I really don't care
              now if anything actually remains from 6. (Probably not as much space
              as XP's Add or Remove Programs thinks, if the 7 install overwrote
              lots/most of 6's files.)

              Thank you for not only creating a world class program, but going to
              extraordinary lengths to improve it and help users.

              regards
              Steve Bachanek in Thunder Bay, Ontario

              -------