Re: [NTB] NoteTab7 Not Registering Itself With Windows W7x64

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
      Hi Harold,

      I'm sorry you've been experiencing problems using NoteTab.

      When you install NoteTab, the setup program makes only the minimum
      required changes to the registry (it has always worked this way and many
      users appreciate that). As a result, it does not configure your Windows
      system for file associations.

      But the solution is really simple because file associations are managed
      directly from NoteTab. Simply open the Options dialog box (you'll find
      the command at the bottom of the View menu), click on the Associations
      tab, and then add extensions (without the dot) one by one.

      Note that you may have to run NoteTab with the Windows "Run as
      administrator" option when you plan to modify file associations.

      Hope this helps.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/

      On 05/07/2012 16:10, Harold wrote:
      > After uninstalling NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv (NTP6), I installed NT7 on my
      > Windows 7 Home Premium x64 system, with Norton Internet Security
      > 2012. At this point, I found I could not register NT7 with W7 via
      > "All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Set Associations."
      > What happens is I start with .TXT file associations being Undefined,
      > then I don't see NT7 in the "Change program ..." dialog box, so I
      > have to go Browse for 'NotePro.exe' in "C:\Program Files
      > (x86)\NoteTab 7". But, after clicking it, I find it still does not
      > show the NT7 icon in the "Change program ..." dialog box. So, from
      > my user install perspective, NT7 fails here.
      >
      > After uninstalling NT7, I reinstalled NT6, and was able to recover
      > its prior association with .TXT files. Everything worked as it did
      > before. Then, I installed NT7 "over the top" of NT6, and found the
      > "Change program ..." dialog box now displayed the different icons for
      > NT6 and NT7. However, both icons pointed to NT6, and I could not
      > launch NT6 with either of them. Note, however, that "C:\Program
      > Files (x86)\NoteTab 7\NotePro.exe" installed cleanly, and "C:\Program
      > Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\" was still intact.
      >
      > I'm afraid I'm left in a bit of a lurch here, as I've not noticed any
      > publication of the "proper" installation procedures for NT7 when
      > upgrading from NT6.
      >
      > Can anyone suggest a set of "appropriate" NT7 installation steps
      > which will solve my no-register-with-W7x64 problem?
      >
      > If I can't get this "glitch" fixed, I may have to request a refund of
      > my upgrade from Fooke's. But, I'd really hate to do that, as I hold
      > NoteTab in high regard because of the yeoman's service it has given
      > me for many years.
      >
      > Kind regards, RetiredEngineer1
    • Harold Noffke
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
        Eric:

        Should I uninstall NT6 *before* I install NT7? Or, is installing NT7 "over
        the top" of NT6 the preferred, or at least OK, upgrade approach needed?

        Kind regards,

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
          Hi Harold,

          > Should I uninstall NT6 *before* I install NT7? Or, is installing NT7 "over
          > the top" of NT6 the preferred, or at least OK, upgrade approach needed?

          You don't need version 6 at all. You can choose to keep version 6 and
          install version 7 in a different folder. You can also install version 7
          over version 6 (just make sure you first close NoteTab before doing
          that). Or you can uninstall version 6 before installing 7.

          You choose :)

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • Pam Erickson
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
            I installed NT7 into its default location and did not uninstall version 6. It uses all of the same files that NT6 uses in this
            folder though:

            C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

            I'm using Vista with the UAC enabled. I didn't run into any troubles with it. Both NT6 and NT7 run well. I keep an eye on my NoteTab
            Pro folder on a regular basis (to add clip libraries, etc.), so I just have it listed in the FAVORITE LINKS section of Windows
            Explorer so it's quick and easy to access with one click. Many programs including NoteTab have files installed to the AppData
            subfolders, so I just keep that folder backed up on a daily basis to an online back-up service.

            Pam Erickson

            I'm sorry you've been experiencing problems using NoteTab.

            When you install NoteTab, the setup program makes only the minimum
            required changes to the registry (it has always worked this way and many
            users appreciate that). As a result, it does not configure your Windows
            system for file associations.

            But the solution is really simple because file associations are managed
            directly from NoteTab. Simply open the Options dialog box (you'll find
            the command at the bottom of the View menu), click on the Associations
            tab, and then add extensions (without the dot) one by one.

            Note that you may have to run NoteTab with the Windows "Run as
            administrator" option when you plan to modify file associations.

            Hope this helps.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/

            On 05/07/2012 16:10, Harold wrote:
            > After uninstalling NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv (NTP6), I installed NT7 on my
            > Windows 7 Home Premium x64 system, with Norton Internet Security
            > 2012. At this point, I found I could not register NT7 with W7 via
            > "All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Set Associations."
            > What happens is I start with .TXT file associations being Undefined,
            > then I don't see NT7 in the "Change program ..." dialog box, so I
            > have to go Browse for 'NotePro.exe' in "C:\Program Files
            > (x86)\NoteTab 7". But, after clicking it, I find it still does not
            > show the NT7 icon in the "Change program ..." dialog box. So, from
            > my user install perspective, NT7 fails here.
            >
            > After uninstalling NT7, I reinstalled NT6, and was able to recover
            > its prior association with .TXT files. Everything worked as it did
            > before. Then, I installed NT7 "over the top" of NT6, and found the
            > "Change program ..." dialog box now displayed the different icons for
            > NT6 and NT7. However, both icons pointed to NT6, and I could not
            > launch NT6 with either of them. Note, however, that "C:\Program
            > Files (x86)\NoteTab 7\NotePro.exe" installed cleanly, and "C:\Program
            > Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\" was still intact.
            >
            > I'm afraid I'm left in a bit of a lurch here, as I've not noticed any
            > publication of the "proper" installation procedures for NT7 when
            > upgrading from NT6.
            >
            > Can anyone suggest a set of "appropriate" NT7 installation steps
            > which will solve my no-register-with-W7x64 problem?
            >
            > If I can't get this "glitch" fixed, I may have to request a refund of
            > my upgrade from Fooke's. But, I'd really hate to do that, as I hold
            > NoteTab in high regard because of the yeoman's service it has given
            > me for many years.
            >
            > Kind regards, RetiredEngineer1

          • S or J
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
              Hi Eric

              Slightly different situation as I have XP, but more of the same
              wrinkles.

              I had NT 6 Light on XP, closed it and installed NT 7 Light. Worked
              fine.

              When I checked Windows' Add or Remove Programs, saw that it now had 2
              listings for NoteTab, both 6 and 7.

              Figured I might as well remove NT 6 to save 3+ meg of disk space shown
              there. Told it to uninstall 6 and it removed both 6 and 7 despite
              still showing NT 7 in the program listing.

              Used System Restore and got both back. Life is full of mysteries.
              Guess they'll both have to stay.

              regards
              Steve in Thunder Bay

              Eric Fookes on Jul 5, 2012 wrote:
              Hi Harold,
              > Should I uninstall NT6 *before* I install NT7? Or, is installing
              > NT7 "over
              > the top" of NT6 the preferred, or at least OK, upgrade approach
              > needed?
              You don't need version 6 at all. You can choose to keep version 6 and
              install version 7 in a different folder. You can also install version
              7
              over version 6 (just make sure you first close NoteTab before doing
              that). Or you can uninstall version 6 before installing 7.
              You choose :)
              Regards,
              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
                Hi Steve,

                Thanks for your feedback. Had you installed both versions in the same
                folder?

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

                On 06/07/2012 19:26, S or J wrote:
                > Hi Eric
                >
                > Slightly different situation as I have XP, but more of the same
                > wrinkles.
                >
                > I had NT 6 Light on XP, closed it and installed NT 7 Light. Worked
                > fine.
                >
                > When I checked Windows' Add or Remove Programs, saw that it now had 2
                > listings for NoteTab, both 6 and 7.
                >
                > Figured I might as well remove NT 6 to save 3+ meg of disk space shown
                > there. Told it to uninstall 6 and it removed both 6 and 7 despite
                > still showing NT 7 in the program listing.
                >
                > Used System Restore and got both back. Life is full of mysteries.
                > Guess they'll both have to stay.
                >
                > regards
                > Steve in Thunder Bay
              • S or J
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012
                  Hi Eric

                  Yes, both 6 and then 7 were installed in the same folder.

                  That would likely mean that 7 replaced some 6 components with entirely
                  new ones, but perhaps the same name. A subsequent XP Remove Program
                  command applied to what it thought was 6 would then have crippled 7.

                  It is not the first time that System Restore has saved the day after a
                  poor choice on my part.

                  7 works fine now and I have a big hard drive so I really don't care
                  now if anything actually remains from 6. (Probably not as much space
                  as XP's Add or Remove Programs thinks, if the 7 install overwrote
                  lots/most of 6's files.)

                  Thank you for not only creating a world class program, but going to
                  extraordinary lengths to improve it and help users.

                  regards
                  Steve Bachanek in Thunder Bay, Ontario

                  -------