NoteTab7 Not Registering Itself With Windows W7x64

  • Harold
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
      After uninstalling NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv (NTP6), I installed NT7 on my Windows 7 Home Premium x64 system, with Norton Internet Security 2012. At this point, I found I could not register NT7 with W7 via "All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Set Associations." What happens is I start with .TXT file associations being Undefined, then I don't see NT7 in the "Change program ..." dialog box, so I have to go Browse for 'NotePro.exe' in "C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7". But, after clicking it, I find it still does not show the NT7 icon in the "Change program ..." dialog box. So, from my user install perspective, NT7 fails here.

      After uninstalling NT7, I reinstalled NT6, and was able to recover its prior association with .TXT files. Everything worked as it did before. Then, I installed NT7 "over the top" of NT6, and found the "Change program ..." dialog box now displayed the different icons for NT6 and NT7. However, both icons pointed to NT6, and I could not launch NT6 with either of them. Note, however, that "C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab 7\NotePro.exe" installed cleanly, and "C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\" was still intact.

      I'm afraid I'm left in a bit of a lurch here, as I've not noticed any publication of the "proper" installation procedures for NT7 when upgrading from NT6.

      Can anyone suggest a set of "appropriate" NT7 installation steps which will solve my no-register-with-W7x64 problem?

      If I can't get this "glitch" fixed, I may have to request a refund of my upgrade from Fooke's. But, I'd really hate to do that, as I hold NoteTab in high regard because of the yeoman's service it has given me for many years.

      Kind regards,
      RetiredEngineer1
    • John Shotsky
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
        I'll tell you what I've done, since I have the same operating system. First, I dislike Win Vista/7 UAC, the shadow copy
        thing, and forcing things into the C:\Users folders, so I have an installation folder named C:\Programs. It is here that
        I install things that I want extra control over, such as NoteTab. I also don't use a version number in my NoteTab Pro
        folder, but I do have different versions installed so that I can switch between them simply by changing folder names.
        So, My NoteTab is installed in C:\Progrrams\NoteTab Pro. My NoteTab 6.2 is in a folder named C:\Programs\NoteTab Pro
        6.2. I rename each folder to switch between them.

        When I installed NTP 7, I copied my NoteTab Pro folder entirely, and renamed the copy as above � NoteTab Pro 6.2. Then,
        I installed the new version over the top of the (6.2) files in NoteTab Pro. The result was as if nothing had changed �
        my .ini file preferences were retained, but the file association icons changed to the new NoteTab file icons. It runs
        fine.

        I know this won't work for everyone, but I just dislike the prescribed folders that Microsoft recommends, and I want all
        my files for certain programs in one place. I want my libraries and ini files WITH NoteTab, not off in some other place
        that I always have a hard time browsing to. But, this works well, for NoteTab and other programs that expect to be able
        to write to their own folders. It also means I can back up a single folder and have a safe backup or snapshot of an
        installation. I save these backups to DVD in case of disaster.

        Regards,
        John (also a retired engineer)

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
          Hi Harold,

          I'm sorry you've been experiencing problems using NoteTab.

          When you install NoteTab, the setup program makes only the minimum
          required changes to the registry (it has always worked this way and many
          users appreciate that). As a result, it does not configure your Windows
          system for file associations.

          But the solution is really simple because file associations are managed
          directly from NoteTab. Simply open the Options dialog box (you'll find
          the command at the bottom of the View menu), click on the Associations
          tab, and then add extensions (without the dot) one by one.

          Note that you may have to run NoteTab with the Windows "Run as
          administrator" option when you plan to modify file associations.

          Hope this helps.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/

          On 05/07/2012 16:10, Harold wrote:
          > After uninstalling NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv (NTP6), I installed NT7 on my
          > Windows 7 Home Premium x64 system, with Norton Internet Security
          > 2012. At this point, I found I could not register NT7 with W7 via
          > "All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Set Associations."
          > What happens is I start with .TXT file associations being Undefined,
          > then I don't see NT7 in the "Change program ..." dialog box, so I
          > have to go Browse for 'NotePro.exe' in "C:\Program Files
          > (x86)\NoteTab 7". But, after clicking it, I find it still does not
          > show the NT7 icon in the "Change program ..." dialog box. So, from
          > my user install perspective, NT7 fails here.
          >
          > After uninstalling NT7, I reinstalled NT6, and was able to recover
          > its prior association with .TXT files. Everything worked as it did
          > before. Then, I installed NT7 "over the top" of NT6, and found the
          > "Change program ..." dialog box now displayed the different icons for
          > NT6 and NT7. However, both icons pointed to NT6, and I could not
          > launch NT6 with either of them. Note, however, that "C:\Program
          > Files (x86)\NoteTab 7\NotePro.exe" installed cleanly, and "C:\Program
          > Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\" was still intact.
          >
          > I'm afraid I'm left in a bit of a lurch here, as I've not noticed any
          > publication of the "proper" installation procedures for NT7 when
          > upgrading from NT6.
          >
          > Can anyone suggest a set of "appropriate" NT7 installation steps
          > which will solve my no-register-with-W7x64 problem?
          >
          > If I can't get this "glitch" fixed, I may have to request a refund of
          > my upgrade from Fooke's. But, I'd really hate to do that, as I hold
          > NoteTab in high regard because of the yeoman's service it has given
          > me for many years.
          >
          > Kind regards, RetiredEngineer1
        • Harold Noffke
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
            Eric:

            Should I uninstall NT6 *before* I install NT7? Or, is installing NT7 "over
            the top" of NT6 the preferred, or at least OK, upgrade approach needed?

            Kind regards,

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
              Hi Harold,

              > Should I uninstall NT6 *before* I install NT7? Or, is installing NT7 "over
              > the top" of NT6 the preferred, or at least OK, upgrade approach needed?

              You don't need version 6 at all. You can choose to keep version 6 and
              install version 7 in a different folder. You can also install version 7
              over version 6 (just make sure you first close NoteTab before doing
              that). Or you can uninstall version 6 before installing 7.

              You choose :)

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • Pam Erickson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 5, 2012
                I installed NT7 into its default location and did not uninstall version 6. It uses all of the same files that NT6 uses in this
                folder though:

                C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\NoteTab Pro

                I'm using Vista with the UAC enabled. I didn't run into any troubles with it. Both NT6 and NT7 run well. I keep an eye on my NoteTab
                Pro folder on a regular basis (to add clip libraries, etc.), so I just have it listed in the FAVORITE LINKS section of Windows
                Explorer so it's quick and easy to access with one click. Many programs including NoteTab have files installed to the AppData
                subfolders, so I just keep that folder backed up on a daily basis to an online back-up service.

                Pam Erickson

                I'm sorry you've been experiencing problems using NoteTab.

                When you install NoteTab, the setup program makes only the minimum
                required changes to the registry (it has always worked this way and many
                users appreciate that). As a result, it does not configure your Windows
                system for file associations.

                But the solution is really simple because file associations are managed
                directly from NoteTab. Simply open the Options dialog box (you'll find
                the command at the bottom of the View menu), click on the Associations
                tab, and then add extensions (without the dot) one by one.

                Note that you may have to run NoteTab with the Windows "Run as
                administrator" option when you plan to modify file associations.

                Hope this helps.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/

                On 05/07/2012 16:10, Harold wrote:
                > After uninstalling NoteTab Pro 6.2/fv (NTP6), I installed NT7 on my
                > Windows 7 Home Premium x64 system, with Norton Internet Security
                > 2012. At this point, I found I could not register NT7 with W7 via
                > "All Control Panel Items > Default Programs > Set Associations."
                > What happens is I start with .TXT file associations being Undefined,
                > then I don't see NT7 in the "Change program ..." dialog box, so I
                > have to go Browse for 'NotePro.exe' in "C:\Program Files
                > (x86)\NoteTab 7". But, after clicking it, I find it still does not
                > show the NT7 icon in the "Change program ..." dialog box. So, from
                > my user install perspective, NT7 fails here.
                >
                > After uninstalling NT7, I reinstalled NT6, and was able to recover
                > its prior association with .TXT files. Everything worked as it did
                > before. Then, I installed NT7 "over the top" of NT6, and found the
                > "Change program ..." dialog box now displayed the different icons for
                > NT6 and NT7. However, both icons pointed to NT6, and I could not
                > launch NT6 with either of them. Note, however, that "C:\Program
                > Files (x86)\NoteTab 7\NotePro.exe" installed cleanly, and "C:\Program
                > Files (x86)\NoteTab Pro 6\" was still intact.
                >
                > I'm afraid I'm left in a bit of a lurch here, as I've not noticed any
                > publication of the "proper" installation procedures for NT7 when
                > upgrading from NT6.
                >
                > Can anyone suggest a set of "appropriate" NT7 installation steps
                > which will solve my no-register-with-W7x64 problem?
                >
                > If I can't get this "glitch" fixed, I may have to request a refund of
                > my upgrade from Fooke's. But, I'd really hate to do that, as I hold
                > NoteTab in high regard because of the yeoman's service it has given
                > me for many years.
                >
                > Kind regards, RetiredEngineer1

              • S or J
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
                  Hi Eric

                  Slightly different situation as I have XP, but more of the same
                  wrinkles.

                  I had NT 6 Light on XP, closed it and installed NT 7 Light. Worked
                  fine.

                  When I checked Windows' Add or Remove Programs, saw that it now had 2
                  listings for NoteTab, both 6 and 7.

                  Figured I might as well remove NT 6 to save 3+ meg of disk space shown
                  there. Told it to uninstall 6 and it removed both 6 and 7 despite
                  still showing NT 7 in the program listing.

                  Used System Restore and got both back. Life is full of mysteries.
                  Guess they'll both have to stay.

                  regards
                  Steve in Thunder Bay

                  Hi Harold,
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 6, 2012
                    Hi Steve,

                    Thanks for your feedback. Had you installed both versions in the same
                    folder?

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/

                    On 06/07/2012 19:26, S or J wrote:
                    > Hi Eric
                    >
                    > Slightly different situation as I have XP, but more of the same
                    > wrinkles.
                    >
                    > I had NT 6 Light on XP, closed it and installed NT 7 Light. Worked
                    > fine.
                    >
                    > When I checked Windows' Add or Remove Programs, saw that it now had 2
                    > listings for NoteTab, both 6 and 7.
                    >
                    > Figured I might as well remove NT 6 to save 3+ meg of disk space shown
                    > there. Told it to uninstall 6 and it removed both 6 and 7 despite
                    > still showing NT 7 in the program listing.
                    >
                    > Used System Restore and got both back. Life is full of mysteries.
                    > Guess they'll both have to stay.
                    >
                    > regards
                    > Steve in Thunder Bay
                  • S or J
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 7, 2012
                      Hi Eric

                      Yes, both 6 and then 7 were installed in the same folder.

                      That would likely mean that 7 replaced some 6 components with entirely
                      new ones, but perhaps the same name. A subsequent XP Remove Program
                      command applied to what it thought was 6 would then have crippled 7.

                      It is not the first time that System Restore has saved the day after a
                      poor choice on my part.

                      7 works fine now and I have a big hard drive so I really don't care
                      now if anything actually remains from 6. (Probably not as much space
                      as XP's Add or Remove Programs thinks, if the 7 install overwrote
                      lots/most of 6's files.)

                      Thank you for not only creating a world class program, but going to
                      extraordinary lengths to improve it and help users.

                      regards
                      Steve Bachanek in Thunder Bay, Ontario

                      -------