Re: [NTB] wildcards in search and replace

  • Alex Plantema
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
      Op woensdag 4 juli 2012 01:49 schreef helvetica_switzerland:

      > I have tried - (shift D for the disk search/replace, then Replace),
      > then using an asterisk in the File Mask in that window (e.g. as
      > /region/*/*.html for Example 1 type folders and /region/*/*/*.html
      > for Example 2 type folders

      Did you try \region\*\*.html and \region\*\*\*.html in the file mask?

      Alex.
    • Don
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 4, 2012
        This would be simple with a clip and regular expressions. Email the
        clip list for help. I don't totally follow your path descriptions however.

        On 7/3/2012 7:49 PM, helvetica_switzerland wrote:
        > Hi all
        > I need to make a lot of changes to several thousand html files.
      • helvetica_switzerland
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
          Yes I tried that and it says "No files matched the criteria"
          It works with
          \region\*.html
          but not with
          or
          \region\*\*.html
          \region\*\*\*.html

          It's the extra wild card asterisk which is blocking things.
          I've also tried \region\a*\*\*.html and
          \region\*\a*\*.html
          to get at least the towns and rulers beginning with a (adana, amphipolis, alexander, augustus etc.) but it gives me the same error message.
          At the moment I'm doing them all manually and it's such a huge job...

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...> wrote:

          > Op woensdag 4 juli 2012 01:49 schreef helvetica_switzerland:
          >
          > > I have tried - (shift D for the disk search/replace, then Replace),
          > > then using an asterisk in the File Mask in that window (e.g. as
          > > /region/*/*.html for Example 1 type folders and /region/*/*/*.html
          > > for Example 2 type folders
          >
          > Did you try \region\*\*.html and \region\*\*\*.html in the file mask?
          >
          > Alex.

        • Don
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
            I don't know much about wildcards in notetab because they are brand new.
            I repeat my advice of one week ago ... write the clip list for help.
            They show you what to do in a jiffy.

            > At the moment I'm doing them all manually and it's such a huge job...
          • John Shotsky
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
              Experiment. Nothing teaches faster than trying things that either work or don't. Wildcards appear to work the same as in
              DOS, to me, although I haven't done my own experimenting yet.

              Regards,
              John

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 11, 2012
                Thanks Don and John. I have been experimenting, but I will write to the clips list, maybe someone has an idea of how to do it. Many thanks again.