wildcards in search and replace

  • helvetica_switzerland
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
      Hi all
      I need to make a lot of changes to several thousand html files.
      Trouble is that - in order to make the files correspond with the DVD
      version of my website - some terms need to be different depending on their position in the tree.
      Example 1: (directory names have been changed for simplicity)
      in /region/cityname/i.html and ditto but t.html (thumbnail page)
      the term
      "/coins/sg/ (the rest of the line stays the same)
      would need to be changed to
      "../../sg/

      but in (Example 2)
      /region/subregion/cityname/i.html
      the term
      "/coins/sg/ (the rest of the line stays the same)
      would need to be changed to
      "../../../sg/

      I have tried - (shift D for the disk search/replace, then Replace), then using an asterisk in the File Mask in that window (e.g. as
      /region/*/*.html for Example 1 type folders and
      /region/*/*/*.html for Example 2 type folders
      to distinguish between the files of the first type and those with one more sub-directory as in the second type, but it just says that "no files match the criteria".
      There are over 5,000 html files which need to be changed and doing each /region/ individually will take ages.
      Can anyone suggest how to get the wildcard to work for the two examples above ?
    • Alex Plantema
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
        Op woensdag 4 juli 2012 01:49 schreef helvetica_switzerland:

        > I have tried - (shift D for the disk search/replace, then Replace),
        > then using an asterisk in the File Mask in that window (e.g. as
        > /region/*/*.html for Example 1 type folders and /region/*/*/*.html
        > for Example 2 type folders

        Did you try \region\*\*.html and \region\*\*\*.html in the file mask?

        Alex.
      • Don
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 4, 2012
          This would be simple with a clip and regular expressions. Email the
          clip list for help. I don't totally follow your path descriptions however.

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
            Yes I tried that and it says "No files matched the criteria"
            It works with
            \region\*.html
            but not with
            or
            \region\*\*.html
            \region\*\*\*.html

            It's the extra wild card asterisk which is blocking things.
            I've also tried \region\a*\*\*.html and
            \region\*\a*\*.html
            to get at least the towns and rulers beginning with a (adana, amphipolis, alexander, augustus etc.) but it gives me the same error message.
            At the moment I'm doing them all manually and it's such a huge job...

            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Alex Plantema" <alex.plantema@...> wrote:

            > Op woensdag 4 juli 2012 01:49 schreef helvetica_switzerland:
            >
            > > I have tried - (shift D for the disk search/replace, then Replace),
            > > then using an asterisk in the File Mask in that window (e.g. as
            > > /region/*/*.html for Example 1 type folders and /region/*/*/*.html
            > > for Example 2 type folders
            >
            > Did you try \region\*\*.html and \region\*\*\*.html in the file mask?
            >
            > Alex.

          • Don
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
              I don't know much about wildcards in notetab because they are brand new.
              I repeat my advice of one week ago ... write the clip list for help.
              They show you what to do in a jiffy.

              > At the moment I'm doing them all manually and it's such a huge job...
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2012
                Experiment. Nothing teaches faster than trying things that either work or don't. Wildcards appear to work the same as in
                DOS, to me, although I haven't done my own experimenting yet.

                Regards,
                John

                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 11, 2012
                  Thanks Don and John. I have been experimenting, but I will write to the clips list, maybe someone has an idea of how to do it. Many thanks again.