find & replace

  • milanboran
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 24, 2012
      Does anyone know all the
      tokens to represent special characters that the
      find & replace dialog accepts, e.g.
      ^T = Tab ($09)
      ^B = Page break ($0C)
      ^P = Paragraph (carriage-return/line-feed pair)
      ^C = Carriage-return ($0D)
      ^L = Line-feed ($0A)

      I am looking for
      delete line (where string to be found is in)
      delete paragraph (where string to be found is in)
      and any other you know.

      Also, how can one search for e.g.
      "this" AND NOT "that" ?
      Does the find input field accept RegEx or how should this be put in?

      Thanks a lot!
    • Don
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 25, 2012
        I do not know all of the tokens myself. I'm sure most are listed somewhere.

        The find and replace dialog does accept tokens and if you tick regex in
        the dialog and then copy and paste your content into the find box it
        will supply the tokens. Tokens are of course different for regex than
        for regular searches. Regex flavor is PCRE.

        Tab \t
        page break no idea
        Paragraph \r\n or \R
        return \r
        line feed \n

        I have clips for delete all lines not containing or delete all lines
        containing regular express.

        Those can be had if you write the clips list.

        On 6/25/2012 12:42 AM, milanboran wrote:
        > Does anyone know all the
        > tokens to represent special characters that the
        > find & replace dialog accepts, e.g.
        > ^T = Tab ($09)
        > ^B = Page break ($0C)
        > ^P = Paragraph (carriage-return/line-feed pair)
        > ^C = Carriage-return ($0D)
        > ^L = Line-feed ($0A)
        >
        > I am looking for
        > delete line (where string to be found is in)
        > delete paragraph (where string to be found is in)
        > and any other you know.
        >
        > Also, how can one search for e.g.
        > "this" AND NOT "that" ?
        > Does the find input field accept RegEx or how should this be put in?
        >
        > Thanks a lot!

      • Eb
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2012
          Milan,

          The tokens you can place in a find/replace string must be non-printable characters. CHaracters that are present in text.

          To find specific ones, enter them in the text, select the text that includes the target character, and execute a FIND via the search menu.

          The selection will display in the find window, and show you the token "^x" where x is the second part of the token, such as "p" in "^P.

          To delete a line, that contains a target string, it would help to learn about regular expressions. However, if you get NoteTab 5 (upcoming, see Eric's note), you'll be able to find simple patterns using the wildcard option for replacing.

          A sinple case, using regular expressions, for example, to delete a line containing the word "target" would be:

          ^'*target.*$ in the find pane, and nothing (empty string) in the replace pane.

          The wildcard option (NT 7) might be handled with:

          Find: ^P**target**^P
          Replace: ^P

          I'll leave the explanation for finding "this" but not "that" to one of the regexperts to explain.

          Cheers,

          Eb