Re: [NTB] What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • veneff@intouchmi.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
      > Dear Notetabber,
      >
      > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
      > this email?
      >
      > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
      > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
      > program enhancements.
      >
      > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
      > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

      I use it as a replacement for Notetab. But, mostly, as my main code
      editor for C, microprocessor assembly, Basic and HTML.

      > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

      The stability of it, the quickness and the low overhead.

      > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

      There are so many, but the multiple file tabs and multiple favorite lists,
      the dual windows, the clip language, the block editing and matching
      brackets come to mine.

      > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      > another editor?

      Most of the items mentioned above.

      > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
      > offer?

      Syntax high lighting, keystroke/mouse click recording, viewing different
      parts of the same file in the two windows, more than two windows.

      > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

      It has worked well in all the versions of Windows that I have had to
      update to. The user base is very active and helpful. It has enough
      features that I have always stuck with NoteTab (pro) even though I do
      check out other editors as I have become aware of them.

      Vance

      > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
      > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!
      >
      > --
      > Regards,
      >
      > Eric Fookes
      > http://www.fookes.com/

    • sisterscape
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
        I do not use NoteTab as much as I used to when I was coding at lot of sites. But I do still use it to maintain a few of them. One of the unique features that I really like is "Search Disk". When there are hundreds of files, it's very handy to be able to find the exact word/phrase and be able to open all the matching files at one click. Then a 'Search and replace' can easily make changes (I would never do that without first visually confirming).

        My one wish is that it would run natively on Linux. It does OK on Wine but the Linux feature that I miss most is the ability to highlight then paste with a scrollwheel click. ctrl-c ctrl-v is an OK option but my reflexes just want to do that one click. :)

        > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and
        > reply to
        > this email?
        >
        > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop
        > the copy
        > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance
        > for future
        > program enhancements.
        >
        > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
        > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data
        > processing, ...)
        >
        > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
        >
        > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
        >
        > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had
        > to use
        > another editor?
        >
        > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that
        > competing editors
        > offer?
        >
        > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
        >

        > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group.
        > You can also
        > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@...
        > if you prefer. Thanks!
        >
        > --
        > Regards,
        >
        > Eric Fookes
        > http://www.fookes.com/

        >     notetab-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

      • Wayne
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
          On 2012-06-16 10:32 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
          > Dear Notetabber,
          >
          > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply
          > to this email?
          >
          > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the
          > copy for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance
          > for future program enhancements.
          >
          > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

          Miscellaneous note taking, source code editing for programming, using regular expression replaces on data copied from and back to other apps, pasteboard, and just general use. It is pretty much the only editor I use, unless I need UNICODE or a full word processor.

          I use the clipbooks occasionally, although not as much as I used to years ago.

          > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
          Overall power and ease of use. Ability to manipulate text and data quickly.

          > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
          Regular Expressions, outlines, paste board, calculate expression

          (By the way I'd love it if you could make a minor tweak to make calculate expression feature more user friendly. I'd like to be able to do chained expressions 1+2=3 +3=6 +4=10 by just typing Ctrl-E after each equals sign without having to select the text first. Also, not having to select the text first when the line is preceded by a label and colon. Such as "Label: 6*7-9=". I suggest it just ignore anything before certain punctuation such as colon, semicolon, a previous equals, etc.)

          > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
          > another editor?

          Not having the scroll past end of line feature in other editors is a minor thing, but it annoys me, LOL. Other than that I'd miss the clip programming, pasteboard, outlines, regular expressions and NoteTab's ease of use.

          > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors offer?

          FULL UNICODE SUPPORT. I am finding myself having to use other editors
          more often just because of this. It's becoming a dealbreaker more
          and more often.

          Better syntax highlighting of source code in various languages would also be nice, but it is a luxury I am already used to doing without.

          > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

          I just like how easily I can manipulate text and data with it using
          whatever I need of regular expressions, clip code, etc. And I like having one single editor that does the majority of everything I need.

          And, hello, everyone. Sorry, I've been so quiet in the group in recent years. I'm still around, though, and scan the messages here occasionally.
        • r.riche
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
            1. General purpose text editing and manipulation. Since I try to do as much as possible in plain text that covers a lot of ground. I use simple outlines for a lot, classifying and saving clips captured by Powerpro, keeping notes and journals, searching text files on disk, and the usual HTML editing. The Modify ans Search menus get a lot of work. Search disk is invaluable, especially in conjunction with some of the old clips by Jody Adair for searching disk files and creating selective outlines. Notetab just does some clever things that it is a lot of work to do with other editors. I use Vedit if I have to for Unicode and huge files and gVim for cross platform work but neither is as quick and simple to create solutions for as NotePro if it has the capabilitites.

            2. You can move it so easily and for a paid program the upgrade process is so simple. The whole program is portable so you can just copy the whole directory where you want and then reinstall the program files to move it. It will also run as a portable app. I really like the clipbook featurea and the included macro language which is far simpler to edit and implement than most other scripting systems on other editors. Many of the old clipbooks in the repositories are still functional or can easily be modified for present use. They cover everything from TeX, to HTML, to coding and running interpreted languages and file manipulation. Again, if you are working inside of NoteTab's capabilities it's a very elegant and functional program.

            3. Search disk. Using Powerpro you can save clipboard contents, categorized sticky notes, etc. as either it's own format (for rich text) or text. I'll use text as a default. It also saves them in individual files so I can find any note or clip saved as text quickly and load it into Notetab with a simple directory search and edit or use it as I wish. Using clipbooks like Dirstuff and Outline I can create selective outlines of notes and clips for archiving. If I use Dropbox I can then find them across different computers by searching the Dropbox directory.

            Outlines, Modify lines, Pastebord, and the Clipbook repositories are very useful too.

            4. The Clipbook. Can't figure why some other editors have not copied the simple visual method of clip selection, editing, and integration into their own macro language suport. For most of them you have to define menus or select macros from a file list. The FarClip and Clipbar features are pretty unique and useful also.

            5. Syntax highlighting of course. I wouldlove to have it for the interpreted languages if nothing else - Python, Perl etc. and maybe for TeX. I think trying to comptete with dedicated coding editors for support of C, C# etc with tags and the like would bog down NoteTab. I also think that the edit control you are using (Turbopower?) may have some built in limitations and difficulties in that regard. If so thanks for the support for HTML and CSS and the clip language.

            6. A solid and useful program that I am familiar with and can perform the large majority of my text editing on Windows. The first programs I install on a new Windows machine are NotePro, Powerpro, and Irfanview. That's good company.

            > Dear Notetabber,
            >
            > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
            > this email?
            >
            > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
            > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
            > program enhancements.
            >
            > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
            > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
            >
            > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
            >
            > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
            >
            > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
            > another editor?
            >
            > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
            > offer?
            >
            > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
            >

            > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
            > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!
            >
            > --
            > Regards,
            >
            > Eric Fookes
            > http://www.fookes.com/

          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 27, 2012
              Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
              received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
              email address.

              Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
              suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
              wish list.

              We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
              NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/