What is it you like most about NoteTab?

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
      Dear Notetabber,

      I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
      this email?

      Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
      for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
      program enhancements.

      1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
      (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

      2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

      3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

      4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
      another editor?

      5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
      offer?

      6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

      Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
      send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Bill Salyers
      Message 2 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
        I have used NoteTab Pro for 10 years or more.

        NoteTab Pro is my preferred application for creating and organizing notes of all kinds.
        Access to multiple open files is most convenient.  There is a set of files that I keep open at all times to facilitate adding to and updating notes on the items in those files.

        I have not mastered the full range of NoteTab capabilibies.  I would benefit from a detailed tutorial.  In the meantime, its power and concenience make it my program of choice.  I have a new Windows 7 computer, and immediately installed NoteTab  on it.

        The open ListBox makes NoteTab my first word precessor to have the equivalent of tabbed editing..  That is my favorite feature, and what I would miss most if it were to quit working.

        The excellence of NoteTab has led me to examine and on occasion to try some of uour other software.  Managing email files is a major nuisance.  Now that Microsoft no longer supports Outlook Express, I have no easy way to retrieve my old address book or email arvhives.  I have a great reluctance to activate Windows Live apps, especially since I want to maintain full control of my files and not have them hiding in the "clour."

        Bill Salyers
        salyers1932@...
        3106 Orange Grove Road
        HIllsborough, NC 27278-7650
        Home 919-644-8413
        ======================

        >________________________________

        send them to me directly at mailto:eric.fookes%40gmail.com if you prefer. Thanks!

        >--
        >Regards,
        >Eric Fookes
        >http://www.fookes.com/

      • Richard Hartman
        Message 3 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
          Eric,

          As a many-year user of TextPad, I was reluctant to change to NoteTab until John Shotsky developed Recipeclips under Notetab. I am ever impressed by John's work and imagine I'll be a long-term Notetab user once I learn to take advantage of its power and clip capabilities. I'm looking forward to installing NoteTab 7 to replace NoteTab Pro 6.2 in the near future.

          Regards,

          Richard Hartman
          Springfield, Virginia, USA
          exbigiron@...

          I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
          this email?

          Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
          for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
          program enhancements.

          1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
          (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

          2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

          3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

          4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
          another editor?

          5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
          offer?

          6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

          Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
          send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... <mailto:eric.fookes%40gmail.com> if you prefer. Thanks!

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/

        • Harold Noffke
          Message 4 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
            Here you are .

            1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for? - Technical writing. I do not write
            HTML.

            2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? - Multiple tabs, toolbars.

            3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? - Searching.

            1. I would like to see the Search box optionally disappear after the first
            hit, so I can just use F3 for additional hits.

            2. I would like to see the Up, Down, All selection for Search *STAY* where I
            set it. I keep wanting to use All, and every time I hit Ctl+F I find them
            reset to Down.

            3. I would like to be able to add/drag new toolbar buttons/clips into the
            main toolbar, so I would not have to waste scarce vertical space
            creating/using a new toolbar with just one entry - the underline.

            4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use

            another editor? - Iconized Clipbars. The embedded Clip language.

            5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors

            offer? Sticky search settings and adding new icons/functions to *main*
            toolbar, rather than wasting vertical space with display of new toolbar with
            only one *very* useful function.

            6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab? - Reliability with
            large files. I first bought it many years ago as an MS Notepad replacement
            and have been happy with it.

            Kind regards,

            RetiredEngineer1

            Message 5 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
              Interviewed by CNN on 16/06/2012 15:41, Bill Salyers told the world:
              > The excellence of NoteTab has led me to examine and on occasion to try some of uour other software. Managing email files is a major nuisance. Now that Microsoft no longer supports Outlook Express, I have no easy way to retrieve my old address book or email arvhives. I have a great reluctance to activate Windows Live apps, especially since I want to maintain full control of my files and not have them hiding in the "clour."

              Microsoft stopped supporting Outlook Express for a very good reason: it
              was crap. It used proprietary file formats that often got corrupted (and
              then nobody could fix), it didn't have a spam filter, it was designed in
              a way that was just about the *most insecure* model you could think of
              (it actually allowed a message to install software automatically *on
              purpose* originally). Windows Mail/Live Mail, which replaced OE, are
              somewhat better, but I still don't recommend them. I should note,
              however, that neither stores your data "in the cloud:" they store
              messages locally (in a one-message-per-file scheme somewhat similar to
              Maildir, which is far better than the old proprietary format in OE) and
              contacts are saved in "Windows Contacts" on Vista/Win7. Well, unless you
              are using IMAP, that is; in that case, the main storage is "in the
              cloud" regardless of the client you use.

              Anyway, there are lots of other mail programs available, most of them
              free. Mozilla Thunderbird, The Bat!, Alpine, Novell Evolution, Pegasus,
              Eudora, Claws, Mutt, Sylpheed, Zimbra, Opera, Seamonkey, even MS Office
              Outlook... one of them might please you.

              But converting your old mail stores from OE is a bit of a pain, if you
              no longer are in Windows XP. AFAIK, you have to first import them to
              Windows Mail or Live Mail (which, in Win7, implies installing Live Mail
              first, even if you don't want it), and then use whatever feature your
              new mail client has to import the messages from Live Mail via MAPI.

              --
              MCBastos

              -=-=-
              ... Sent from my HP LaserJet.
            • Robert Bull
              Message 6 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                Hello, Eric;

                Saturday, June 16, 2012, 6:32:46 PM, you wrote:

                EF> 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for? (HTML editing, copywriting,
                EF> note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
                General text editing, which at present is mostly forum posts (I use
                freeware Text Editor Anywhere by Bopsoft to transfer text back and
                forth between Web forms and NTP; before that came out, I used the It's
                All Text! extension for Firefox)

                EF> 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                It has pretty much all the features I normally want in an editor, that
                I can actually expect to find in a native Windows editor, not all of
                them implemented the way I'd like.

                EF> 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                The Clipbook, especially the couple I've made for my own use; spell
                checking; multi-level undo/backup; favourite files; tabbed multi-file
                editing.

                EF> 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                EF> another editor?
                Clipbook libraries I've made myself.

                EF> 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing
                EF> editors offer?
                Since Gates misappropriated WordStar keys, I haven't really found a
                native Windows editor that I can commit to as completely as VDE, my
                DOS editor. Features other Windows editors have that I'd like: toggle
                bookmarks; backup files based on a specified root directory; both of
                which I've stated before. I keep a copy of freeware Crimson Editor
                around because it has a nice column mode, though I used that more when
                I was at work. And, I'd like simple "learn by example" macros, meaning
                that you walk through a set of actions with the editor recording them,
                and play them back as many times as required. Clipbooks have to be
                written from scratch with an organised mind, and sometimes it's just
                easier to just record and repeat, especially when it's a one-off
                requirement.

                EF> 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
                Convenience, I suppose, as far as Windows allows it, and consistency
                conferred by using Clipbook libraries.

                Robert Bull
                mailto:barlennan@...
              • Marcelo Bastos
                Message 7 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                  Interviewed by CNN on 16/06/2012 14:32, Eric Fookes told the world:

                  > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                  > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                  Hmmm... well, I use it for a lot of stuff, including messing with system
                  configuration files and admin scripts. But the set of tasks that take
                  most time are HTML-related. I don't do website design, but I do quite a
                  lot of converting stories to .epub, and since I'm a bit of a
                  perfectionist, that involves making a nice-looking, clean,
                  standards-compliant HTML version first.

                  > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                  Hard to say. Many of the features I like (tabs, regex, scripting) are
                  not unique to NoteTab, but I tried other editors and they didn't feel
                  right. One minor feature I use a lot that is not as common is the Paste
                  Board -- very handy for joining chapters of a story, particularly one I
                  received by e-mail. The clipbook library system, which essentially gives
                  me a switchable panel with custom scripts, is very handy too. Being able
                  to call Tidy from Notetab, even for an unsaved file, is also very
                  convenient -- I developed a number of trick to leverage it to find
                  problems in the code, or even in the text itself (for instance, I use
                  Tidy to find missing quote marks in dialogue...) Too bad Tidy apparently
                  is not being updated anymore... I would love to move fully to HTML5, but
                  Tidy chokes on it.

                  > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                  Clips. Anything I catch myself doing often eventually gets turned into a
                  clip. So my HTML editing involves running a lot of clips. Well, I do a
                  lot of regexp search-and-replacing when I'm cleaning up bad HTML I
                  receive (or the kind exported by Word), too.

                  > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                  > another editor?

                  Tidy integration, I think. Most of the other features I use have
                  something similar (although it would be a pain to convert all the clips
                  into the other program's script language).

                  > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                  > offer?

                  Full UTF-8 Unicode support, hands down.

                  > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                  Time saving.

                  --
                  MCBastos

                  use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.
                  -=-=-
                  ... Sent from my Burberry.
                • Robert Bull
                  Message 8 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                    RB> Saturday, June 16, 2012, 6:32:46 PM, you wrote:

                    EF>> 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                    RB> The Clipbook, especially the couple I've made for my own use;

                    I should add that I like the fact that the Clipbook system is built
                    into NT and comes along with it, as it were, along with its own
                    extensive Help. That is, you don't have to go off and find a book on
                    Javascript or VB or Lua or something just because those are the macro
                    languages the editor understands.

                    Robert Bull
                    mailto:barlennan@...
                  • Jeffery Scism
                    Message 9 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                      On 6/16/2012 10:32 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
                      > Dear Notetabber,
                      >
                      > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                      > this email?
                      >
                      > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                      > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                      > program enhancements.
                      >
                      > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                      > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                      HTML editing and Clipboard/extracting data for Genealogy
                      > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                      HTML features, global search and change, and integration.

                      > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                      Global search/replace. Clipbook

                      > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                      > another editor?

                      Clipbook.

                      > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                      > offer?

                      Unknown, I see no need to investigate other software.

                      > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                      Ease of use.

                      > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                      > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!

                      Does need a better REG-EX tutorial though.
                    • Don
                      Message 10 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                        Yes and I also use join and capitalize and single tab features under the
                        modify menu for example. Very nice.

                        On 6/16/2012 4:16 PM, Marcelo Bastos wrote:
                        > One minor feature I use a lot that is not as common is the Paste
                        > Board -- very handy for joining chapters of a story, particularly one I
                        > received by e-mail.
                      • Jeffery Scism
                        Message 11 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                          RE: Open Document search Vs. Directory search.

                          I like BOTH functions - but the open document search allows you to copy
                          from the document or the Clipbook when the wizard is open, which means
                          less use of tokens when doing replacements. The Directory search
                          function ( In NoteTab Standard) will not let you do this and when
                          working with many docs in a directory , requires tokens. ( SOMETIMES
                          the replace wizard will not find the highlighted text in the open
                          document you select from.) what I would like to see to improve this is a
                          check box in the REPLACE dialog that allows the same search to be
                          applied to directories, and a SET Screen Update on/off option as a
                          check box in the Replace dialog. If i have a lot of open docs and do a
                          replace I have to manually approve the save of each one and THAT can
                          take a while. So a SAVE ALL option upon completion of processing would
                          be nice. I really the ability to have silent replace when using clips,
                          but would like to have a search/replace access to call a clip from the
                          open clipbar to get the replace text. That would save a lot of back and
                          forth-ing. (Enter search term by manual or highlighting, and click on
                          a clip to find and process all matching text with that clip) RECORDING
                          a Macro would also be nice for repeated multitasks:) How about being
                          able to drag a clip to the REPLACE With box?

                          Jeff Scism
                        • Jeffery Scism
                          Message 12 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                            I note that the NoteTab sites recommend XENU Link Sleuth. Which I use.

                            I would like NoteTab to beable to have the option of opening teh Xenu
                            report and the referenced pages EITHER in the browser OR in NoteTab as
                            an option. It would make finding & fixing broken links a lot quicker

                            Jeff
                          • Jeffery Scism
                            Message 13 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                              On 6/16/2012 2:12 PM, Don wrote:
                              > Yes and I also use join and capitalize and single tab features under the
                              > modify menu for example. Very nice.
                              YES! the MODIFY menu is SUPER.

                              Jeff
                            • Gerard Huijing
                              Message 14 of 24 , Jun 16, 2012
                                On 16-6-2012 19:32, Eric Fookes wrote:

                                > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                                Just about anything to do with unformatted text. My ideal is to do away
                                with word processors altogether, maybe except for the very last stage,
                                actually converting to some kind of formatted text.

                                I may be able to achieve that best under Unix/Linux with vi(m) and
                                LaTex, but I have never tried the combination. I do use vi(m) a lot
                                though. Besides, I prefer dedicated Windows applications when under Windows.

                                > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                                That NTB offers many, easy to access features for working with
                                unformatted text. I am not a programmer, nor an html coder nor anything
                                like that. I like that part of NTB too, but I do not really need it. For
                                me those 'techy' features are just (very handy) fun really.

                                > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                                Pasteboard, Outline, working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously,
                                search (and replace), renaming + deleting files from inside NTB.

                                > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                > another editor?

                                See 3, but other editors do have at least some of these features but not
                                all.

                                > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                                > offer?

                                See also ad 1. Being able to work with Unicode.

                                > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                                It is one of the best ways I know of working with plain text files.

                                --
                                Gerard (E.G.P.) Huijing
                                2312 ZD Leiden
                                Message 15 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
                                  --- On Sat, 6/16/12, Eric Fookes <egroups@...> wrote:

                                  > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

                                  HTML editing, data processing, fixing eMails

                                  > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                                  Clips

                                  > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                                  probably tie, clips & Regex

                                  > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                  another editor?

                                  This support group: I hope the regulars are getting a free upgrade.
                                  IMHO they deserve it

                                  > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                                  offer?

                                  UNICODE !

                                  > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                                  Handy, everything you need is included IF not always in the most
                                  logical place
                                • elibrarian22
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012

                                    > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                    > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                                    epub preprocessing (finish done in Sigil)

                                    > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                                    Clip-language, stability, fast automated processing of large files (in the pro-version, as far as I remember, the Free edition was somewhat slow - but haven't used the free edition for years now). By the way, "Large files" to me is up to 1 or 2 mb, which probably isn't that large, but thatøs what books like Les Miserables and The Count of Monte Cristo amount to :o)

                                    > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                                    A couple of highly specialised clipbooks, regex.

                                    > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                    > another editor?

                                    Clips, regex.

                                    > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors offer?

                                    Unicode, the ability to assign keyboard shortcuts to clips (I'm presently running an AutoHotKey script to that end, but would prefer this to be part of Notetab)

                                    > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                                    Can't put words on that - see 2, 3, 4 - but every time I try another editor (and I've tried a lot!), I keep returning to Notetab ...

                                    Regards,

                                    Kim
                                  • Tony Hirtenstein
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
                                      ; I'd love to have your opinion.

                                      All right.

                                      ; 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                      Note taking, especially tracking Internet passwords in an outline file
                                      (oops).

                                      ; 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                                      The outline feature is streets ahead of the ones bundled with word
                                      processors, and is easy to use.

                                      ; 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                                      The outliner; the Pasteboard; changing text case; the built-in formulae;
                                      plus trying to understand macros through the online groups. OK, I am no
                                      programmer!

                                      ; 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                      ; another editor?
                                      Ease of use. NoteTab is the first programme I instal on a new computer.
                                      --

                                      ******************* A.T.Hirtenstein ****************************
                                      West Oxfordshire ******************* <tonyh@...>
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
                                        I guess I took the below as a given, but it was actually pretty unique
                                        when you first started it. Tab driven programs have now become the norm.

                                        I too use disk search often.

                                        Eventually I'll wish I had listed 90% of the features others are listing
                                        as well. I am enjoying this thread a lot.

                                        On 6/17/2012 2:24 AM, Gerard Huijing wrote:
                                        > working with files in multiple tabs simultaneously
                                      • Ray McDowell
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
                                          1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                          I use it as my plain text pkm;  that is, everything. My writing (with markdown text  markup), my catalogs and lists, todos, notes  idea development and projects.

                                          2. What is it you like most about NoteTab? The wiki style hyperlinks and the clips.

                                          3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most? The hyperlinks.

                                          4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                          another editor?  I do have to use other editors and I miss the hyperlinking.

                                          5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                                          offer? multi-level outlining.

                                          6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?  plain text editing with sophisticated utilities to manipulate and convert them to other formats as needed.

                                          ________________________________

                                        • veneff@intouchmi.com
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
                                            > Dear Notetabber,
                                            >
                                            > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                                            > this email?
                                            >
                                            > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                                            > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                                            > program enhancements.
                                            >
                                            > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                            > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)

                                            I use it as a replacement for Notetab. But, mostly, as my main code
                                            editor for C, microprocessor assembly, Basic and HTML.

                                            > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?

                                            The stability of it, the quickness and the low overhead.

                                            > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?

                                            There are so many, but the multiple file tabs and multiple favorite lists,
                                            the dual windows, the clip language, the block editing and matching
                                            brackets come to mine.

                                            > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                            > another editor?

                                            Most of the items mentioned above.

                                            > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                                            > offer?

                                            Syntax high lighting, keystroke/mouse click recording, viewing different
                                            parts of the same file in the two windows, more than two windows.

                                            > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                                            It has worked well in all the versions of Windows that I have had to
                                            update to. The user base is very active and helpful. It has enough
                                            features that I have always stuck with NoteTab (pro) even though I do
                                            check out other editors as I have become aware of them.

                                            Vance

                                            > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                                            > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!
                                            >
                                            > --
                                            > Regards,
                                            >
                                            > Eric Fookes
                                            > http://www.fookes.com/

                                          • sisterscape
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
                                              I do not use NoteTab as much as I used to when I was coding at lot of sites. But I do still use it to maintain a few of them. One of the unique features that I really like is "Search Disk". When there are hundreds of files, it's very handy to be able to find the exact word/phrase and be able to open all the matching files at one click. Then a 'Search and replace' can easily make changes (I would never do that without first visually confirming).

                                              My one wish is that it would run natively on Linux. It does OK on Wine but the Linux feature that I miss most is the ability to highlight then paste with a scrollwheel click. ctrl-c ctrl-v is an OK option but my reflexes just want to do that one click. :)

                                              > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and
                                              > reply to
                                              > this email?
                                              >
                                              > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop
                                              > the copy
                                              > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance
                                              > for future
                                              > program enhancements.
                                              >
                                              > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                              > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data
                                              > processing, ...)
                                              >
                                              > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                                              >
                                              > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                                              >
                                              > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had
                                              > to use
                                              > another editor?
                                              >
                                              > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that
                                              > competing editors
                                              > offer?
                                              >
                                              > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
                                              >

                                              > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group.
                                              > You can also
                                              > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@...
                                              > if you prefer. Thanks!
                                              >
                                              > --
                                              > Regards,
                                              >
                                              > Eric Fookes
                                              > http://www.fookes.com/

                                              >     notetab-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                            • Wayne
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
                                                On 2012-06-16 10:32 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
                                                > Dear Notetabber,
                                                >
                                                > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply
                                                > to this email?
                                                >
                                                > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the
                                                > copy for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance
                                                > for future program enhancements.
                                                >
                                                > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?

                                                Miscellaneous note taking, source code editing for programming, using regular expression replaces on data copied from and back to other apps, pasteboard, and just general use. It is pretty much the only editor I use, unless I need UNICODE or a full word processor.

                                                I use the clipbooks occasionally, although not as much as I used to years ago.

                                                > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                                                Overall power and ease of use. Ability to manipulate text and data quickly.

                                                > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                                                Regular Expressions, outlines, paste board, calculate expression

                                                (By the way I'd love it if you could make a minor tweak to make calculate expression feature more user friendly. I'd like to be able to do chained expressions 1+2=3 +3=6 +4=10 by just typing Ctrl-E after each equals sign without having to select the text first. Also, not having to select the text first when the line is preceded by a label and colon. Such as "Label: 6*7-9=". I suggest it just ignore anything before certain punctuation such as colon, semicolon, a previous equals, etc.)

                                                > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                                > another editor?

                                                Not having the scroll past end of line feature in other editors is a minor thing, but it annoys me, LOL. Other than that I'd miss the clip programming, pasteboard, outlines, regular expressions and NoteTab's ease of use.

                                                > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors offer?

                                                FULL UNICODE SUPPORT. I am finding myself having to use other editors
                                                more often just because of this. It's becoming a dealbreaker more
                                                and more often.

                                                Better syntax highlighting of source code in various languages would also be nice, but it is a luxury I am already used to doing without.

                                                > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?

                                                I just like how easily I can manipulate text and data with it using
                                                whatever I need of regular expressions, clip code, etc. And I like having one single editor that does the majority of everything I need.

                                                And, hello, everyone. Sorry, I've been so quiet in the group in recent years. I'm still around, though, and scan the messages here occasionally.
                                              • r.riche
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 17, 2012
                                                  1. General purpose text editing and manipulation. Since I try to do as much as possible in plain text that covers a lot of ground. I use simple outlines for a lot, classifying and saving clips captured by Powerpro, keeping notes and journals, searching text files on disk, and the usual HTML editing. The Modify ans Search menus get a lot of work. Search disk is invaluable, especially in conjunction with some of the old clips by Jody Adair for searching disk files and creating selective outlines. Notetab just does some clever things that it is a lot of work to do with other editors. I use Vedit if I have to for Unicode and huge files and gVim for cross platform work but neither is as quick and simple to create solutions for as NotePro if it has the capabilitites.

                                                  2. You can move it so easily and for a paid program the upgrade process is so simple. The whole program is portable so you can just copy the whole directory where you want and then reinstall the program files to move it. It will also run as a portable app. I really like the clipbook featurea and the included macro language which is far simpler to edit and implement than most other scripting systems on other editors. Many of the old clipbooks in the repositories are still functional or can easily be modified for present use. They cover everything from TeX, to HTML, to coding and running interpreted languages and file manipulation. Again, if you are working inside of NoteTab's capabilities it's a very elegant and functional program.

                                                  3. Search disk. Using Powerpro you can save clipboard contents, categorized sticky notes, etc. as either it's own format (for rich text) or text. I'll use text as a default. It also saves them in individual files so I can find any note or clip saved as text quickly and load it into Notetab with a simple directory search and edit or use it as I wish. Using clipbooks like Dirstuff and Outline I can create selective outlines of notes and clips for archiving. If I use Dropbox I can then find them across different computers by searching the Dropbox directory.

                                                  Outlines, Modify lines, Pastebord, and the Clipbook repositories are very useful too.

                                                  4. The Clipbook. Can't figure why some other editors have not copied the simple visual method of clip selection, editing, and integration into their own macro language suport. For most of them you have to define menus or select macros from a file list. The FarClip and Clipbar features are pretty unique and useful also.

                                                  5. Syntax highlighting of course. I wouldlove to have it for the interpreted languages if nothing else - Python, Perl etc. and maybe for TeX. I think trying to comptete with dedicated coding editors for support of C, C# etc with tags and the like would bog down NoteTab. I also think that the edit control you are using (Turbopower?) may have some built in limitations and difficulties in that regard. If so thanks for the support for HTML and CSS and the clip language.

                                                  6. A solid and useful program that I am familiar with and can perform the large majority of my text editing on Windows. The first programs I install on a new Windows machine are NotePro, Powerpro, and Irfanview. That's good company.

                                                  > Dear Notetabber,
                                                  >
                                                  > I'd love to have your opinion. Can you spare me a minute and reply to
                                                  > this email?
                                                  >
                                                  > Your answers to the following questions will help me develop the copy
                                                  > for the new NoteTab website. They will also give me guidance for future
                                                  > program enhancements.
                                                  >
                                                  > 1. What do you mostly use NoteTab for?
                                                  > (HTML editing, copywriting, note taking, poetry, data processing, ...)
                                                  >
                                                  > 2. What is it you like most about NoteTab?
                                                  >
                                                  > 3. Which NoteTab feature(s) do you use the most?
                                                  >
                                                  > 4. Which NoteTab feature would you miss the most if you had to use
                                                  > another editor?
                                                  >
                                                  > 5. Which feature do you miss the most in NoteTab that competing editors
                                                  > offer?
                                                  >
                                                  > 6. What is the top benefit you get from using NoteTab?
                                                  >

                                                  > Feel free to share your answers in this discussion group. You can also
                                                  > send them to me directly at eric.fookes@... if you prefer. Thanks!
                                                  >
                                                  > --
                                                  > Regards,
                                                  >
                                                  > Eric Fookes
                                                  > http://www.fookes.com/

                                                • Eric Fookes
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 27, 2012
                                                    Thanks to all who have taken the time to answer my questions. I've
                                                    received more replies than I expected, both here and at my personal
                                                    email address.

                                                    Your feedback has been really helpful and I also appreciate the
                                                    suggestions some of you sent. New ideas have been added to the NoteTab
                                                    wish list.

                                                    We're in the final stages with the new web site and hope to release
                                                    NoteTab 7 by the 1st of July.

                                                    Eric Fookes
                                                    http://www.fookes.com/