Can the New Name Format have the date?

  • Ricardo
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 15, 2012
      I would like to know if I can customize the New Name Format to have the date for example

      file_06-14-12_1.txt

      then

      file_06-14-12_2.txt

      and so on.

      Thanks
      Ricardo
    • flo.gehrke
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 15, 2012
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Ricardo" <ricardol1975@...> wrote:

        > I would like to know if I can customize the New Name Format to
        > have the date for example
        >
        > file_06-14-12_1.txt
        >
        > then
        >
        > file_06-14-12_2.txt
        >
        > and so on.
        >
        > Thanks
        > Ricardo

        I see no way to achieve that with "Options | General | New Name Format" but you have to create a Template with that feature.

        See "Help | Help Topics | How To... | Use Templates":

        "Starting with version 4.8, template headers accept the ^$GetDate()$ function in order to use the current date in the file name. Example:
        = DocTemplate ClipCode "Notes-^$GetDate(yyyymmdd)$-%0.3d.txt"

        Regards,
        Flo
      • Ricardo
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 18, 2012
          Hi Flo

          Thanks for the response.

          I did the template .. and it does what I want it to do.
          But I have to open that template everytime I want a page created using that template?

          I cant find a way to tie the new document button to use that template everytime.

          Thanks
          Ricardo

          --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "flo.gehrke" <flo.gehrke@...> wrote:

          > --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Ricardo" <ricardol1975@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I would like to know if I can customize the New Name Format to
          > > have the date for example
          > >
          > > file_06-14-12_1.txt
          > >
          > > then
          > >
          > > file_06-14-12_2.txt
          > >
          > > and so on.
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > > Ricardo
          >
          > I see no way to achieve that with "Options | General | New Name Format" but you have to create a Template with that feature.
          >
          > See "Help | Help Topics | How To... | Use Templates":
          >
          > "Starting with version 4.8, template headers accept the ^$GetDate()$ function in order to use the current date in the file name. Example:
          > = DocTemplate ClipCode "Notes-^$GetDate(yyyymmdd)$-%0.3d.txt"
          >
          > Regards,
          > Flo

        • flo.gehrke
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2012
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, "Ricardo" <ricardol1975@...> wrote:

            > Hi Flo
            >
            > Thanks for the response.
            >
            > I did the template .. and it does what I want it to do.
            > But I have to open that template everytime I want a page
            > created using that template?
            >
            > I cant find a way to tie the new document button to use that
            > template everytime.

            Ricardo,

            Though this it not the Clip Group, let me answer this with a Clip solution:

            I think you best use a Clip for opening that template. Say, you've named it "datefile.tpl" and stored it in the '\Template' directory.

            Copy the following two lines to the clipboard:

            H="NewDateFile"
            ^!Open ^$GetTemplatePath$datefile.tpl

            Now choose a clipbook and execute "Tools | Clipbook | Add from Clipboard" (or Shift+Ctrl+F2). This will insert a new Clip "NewDateFile" into the active clipbook.

            In order to open a document with the desired name, you don't use "File | Template | Open" any more but you just double-click on the "NewDateFile" header. (If you've got a customized Clipbar, you could also place a button for that onto your Clipbar.)

            Another solution could be to use the default 'New Name Format' and to rename each new document with a Clip -- but I think that isn't any better (and also beyond this Group).

            Regards,
            Flo