Re: [NTB] No Save-As for Clip Editing

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 15 , May 23 9:07 AM
      As this seems to be going nowhere, I will give it this one last try and
      then drop it.

      At 5/21/2012 07:54 AM, Eb wrote:
      >Perhaps _you_ out to go back and read your own posts again, where you ask
      >for a "Save AS" option in the clip editor.
      Exactly, IN THE CLIP EDITOR! It's already available elsewhere.

      >Then you might experiment with Save AS. Pick any application, to see what
      >you can realistically expect. Carefully monitor the various files you
      >THINK are being affected.
      >As long as you're just backing up, NoteTab's "Save AS" will save the
      >current document in
      >its current state to another name. That's all. Just like any other editor.
      >
      >The original file is left untouched in its last-saved state.
      >The backup file is left untouched in its last-saved state.

      That is exactly what I said - every time. And the Save As also saves the
      open doc under a new name and leaves the focus of the editor in the newly
      renamed document.

      Why do you keep going back to Save As in a regular doc? The subject has
      always been a Save As for the clip editor session.

      >I leave it to you to figure out how my solution differs from the above.
      >Hint, it does MORE that the normal Save AS.
      I'm not trying to make an enemy here but I this is simply not so.

      Your clip only loads the current clip editor cliplib as a regular document
      and opens the Save As menu. It does NOT save the open clip editor session
      at all, let alone under a new name nor return focus to a renamed cliplib in
      the clip editor.

      You ought to test it. I did. Enter a unique string in one of the clips in
      an UNSAVED clip edit session, run your clip and then try and find the
      string in your "Save-As" document. You won't.

      What is missing:
      The current clip editor session is not saved.
      The clip editor open cliplib is not renamed.
      The focus is not returned to the clip editor.

      --- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art
      Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:
      >First you want to capture THREE files with Save AS:
      >
      > > There are three file images, all of which need to be captured:
      > > The current open clip editor session, ==> <new_name>.clb
      > > The current on-disk file image, <orig_name>.clb
      > > The current on-disk backup file image, <orig_name>.bak
      >
      >Then you cotradict yourself, claiming that only one file is affected,
      >since "preserving" means it leaves the file content "untouched":
      My post detailed the steps needed to implement the functionality of a CLIP
      EDITOR SAVE AS. I did not contradict my self. FYI, copying and renaming
      files do not affect their contents. Since Notetab does not have a Save As
      feature for the clip editor, a clip has to do more to create the same final
      state. This involves copying ONE file and renaming others. When the clip is
      done, the state of the system is exactly as it would be if Notetab had a
      Save As for the clip editor:

      The original file content and name are left identical to its last-saved state.
      The backup file content and name are left identical to its last-saved state.
      The cliplib current clip editor session is saved under a new name
      The clip editor is open and focused in the newly named cliplib

      You can stop reading and close your mind but that does not change reality.

      I am not going to waste anymore of my or this forum's time on this thread.

      Art