Scroll Bar Anomalies

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2012
      I am seeing numerous scroll bar anomalies in NTP7b, both horiz and vert.

      I haven't been able to identify the exact conditions yet as I don't always
      realize something is wrong until after I have changed something. The latest
      was opening a double pane view. I switched the left pane doc and noticed
      that the right pane scroll bar was at the top yet the file focus was in the
      middle.
      clicking on the text and moving the scroll bar corrected the condition.

      Yesterday, I was just editing some registry files and noticed that the
      horizontal scroll bar indicated a long line yet the max line length is only
      113 chars with no trailing blanks.

      I saved it but upon reload (in another instance of NTP7), the anomaly still
      exists. Even after opening the doc window to a width of 140 chars, the
      scroll bar is only about one-half the doc width. The same doc opens without
      a horiz scroll bar in NTB Std. For existing docs, NTP is seeing "phantom"
      characters and insists on having to scroll way past the longest line.

      The disk image is normal ANSI text with 0D0Ah (CRLF) line terminations. It
      is only seven lines.

      File | New File creates an empty doc with a horiz scroll bar of about half
      the doc width.

      Switched focus to another instance of NTP7 and it exhibited the same behavior.

      After rebooting Windows, the horiz scroll bar still behaves the same way.
    • Eb
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2012
        I have seen the extended horizontal scrollbar in version 6, and perhaps earlier. Alos, Iv='ve observed it in single pane view, so I don't think the quirky double pane view is at fault.

        The split cursor (scroll bar at top, cursor in the middle of the document, on the other hand, is likely caused by the strange screen management of the "Second Window" feature. Probably, when you switch to 2 windows, the existing window gets squeezed to half the size, with th escrollbar left where it was. This may leave the cursor off the screen, and the scrollbar in the opposite direction.

        Cheers,

        Eb

        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

        > I am seeing numerous scroll bar anomalies in NTP7b, both horiz and vert.
        >
        > I haven't been able to identify the exact conditions yet as I don't always
        > realize something is wrong until after I have changed something. The latest
        > was opening a double pane view. I switched the left pane doc and noticed
        > that the right pane scroll bar was at the top yet the file focus was in the
        > middle.
        > clicking on the text and moving the scroll bar corrected the condition.
        >
        > Yesterday, I was just editing some registry files and noticed that the
        > horizontal scroll bar indicated a long line yet the max line length is only
        > 113 chars with no trailing blanks.
        >
        > I saved it but upon reload (in another instance of NTP7), the anomaly still
        > exists. Even after opening the doc window to a width of 140 chars, the
        > scroll bar is only about one-half the doc width. The same doc opens without
        > a horiz scroll bar in NTB Std. For existing docs, NTP is seeing "phantom"
        > characters and insists on having to scroll way past the longest line.
        >
        > The disk image is normal ANSI text with 0D0Ah (CRLF) line terminations. It
        > is only seven lines.
        >
        > File | New File creates an empty doc with a horiz scroll bar of about half
        > the doc width.
        >
        > Switched focus to another instance of NTP7 and it exhibited the same behavior.
        >
        > After rebooting Windows, the horiz scroll bar still behaves the same way.
        >
        > Namaste', Art

      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2012
          At 5/16/2012 03:28 PM, Eb wrote:
          >I have seen the extended horizontal scrollbar in version 6, and perhaps
          >earlier. Alos, Iv='ve observed it in single pane view, so I don't think
          >the quirky double pane view is at fault.
          No, that is not what I meant. The extended horiz scroll bar appears in all
          NTP windows, single or double pane. I just didn't notice it before. NT Std
          does not exhibit this behavior and I am only using Pro to help with the
          pre-release testing.

          >The split cursor (scroll bar at top, cursor in the middle of the document,
          >on the other hand, is likely caused by the strange screen management of
          >the "Second Window" feature. Probably, when you switch to 2 windows, the
          >existing window gets squeezed to half the size, with th escrollbar left
          >where it was. This may leave the cursor off the screen, and the scrollbar
          >in the opposite direction.

          Perhaps. It seems to be somewhat random. I haven't identified the exact
          repeatable (if any) conditions. Even for large files it doesn't always
          misbehave.

          Art
        • Eb
          Message 4 of 5 , May 19, 2012
            Hi Art, Eric,

            I see what you mean, Art.

            Apparently NTP 7 adds scrollbars to ALL documents when Wordwrap is OFF. This is not expected Windows behavior. Scrollbars should at least be grayed out, if the document doesn't exceed window width.

            Even newly created documents, without any text in them, display a scrollbar in NTP (but NOT in NTS), when wordwrap is off.
            Turning word-wrap ON dissappears the scrollbar.

            Dual window H-scrolbar behave the same way.