View-in-Browser Bug

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2012
      There seems to be a bug in the View-in-Browser behavior.

      Create or copy a HTML page in a new document (NoName01.txt)
      Click View-in-Browser [NT sends a tmp text file to browser (efo~1.txt), -
      as expected]
      Rename doc as *.htm (NoName01.htm)
      Click View-in-Browser [browser still sends original temp text file name
      (efo~1.txt), even after editing.

      Worse, it sends the same tmp text file name to the alternate browser.

      Namaste', Art
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2, 2012
        Interviewed by CNN on 02/05/2012 11:54, Art Kocsis told the world:
        > There seems to be a bug in the View-in-Browser behavior.
        >
        > Create or copy a HTML page in a new document (NoName01.txt)
        > Click View-in-Browser [NT sends a tmp text file to browser (efo~1.txt), -
        > as expected]
        > Rename doc as *.htm (NoName01.htm)
        > Click View-in-Browser [browser still sends original temp text file name
        > (efo~1.txt), even after editing.
        >
        > Worse, it sends the same tmp text file name to the alternate browser.

        I can confirm the above behavior (although I didn't test the "alternate
        browser" part). It happens both in NTP 6 and NTP 7 beta.

        Fortunately, there's a simple workaround: just save the file after renaming.

        --
        MCBastos

        use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my Multivac.
      • loro
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2, 2012
          At 17:40 2012-05-02, you wrote:
          >Interviewed by CNN on 02/05/2012 11:54, Art Kocsis told the world:
          > > There seems to be a bug in the View-in-Browser behavior.
          > >
          > > Create or copy a HTML page in a new document (NoName01.txt)
          > > Click View-in-Browser [NT sends a tmp text file to browser
          > (efo~1.txt), -
          > > as expected]
          > > Rename doc as *.htm (NoName01.htm)
          > > Click View-in-Browser [browser still sends original temp text file name
          > > (efo~1.txt), even after editing.
          > >
          > > Worse, it sends the same tmp text file name to the alternate browser.
          >
          >I can confirm the above behavior (although I didn't test the "alternate
          >browser" part). It happens both in NTP 6 and NTP 7 beta.

          AFAIK it has always worked like that.

          Lotta
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 8 , May 2, 2012
            At 5/2/2012 08:40 AM, Marcello wrote:
            >Interviewed by CNN on 02/05/2012 11:54, Art Kocsis told the world:
            > > There seems to be a bug in the View-in-Browser behavior.
            > >
            > > Click View-in-Browser [browser still sends original temp text file name
            > > (efo~1.txt), even after editing.
            > >
            > > Worse, it sends the same tmp text file name to the alternate browser.
            >
            >I can confirm the above behavior (although I didn't test the "alternate
            >browser" part). It happens both in NTP 6 and NTP 7 beta.
            >
            >Fortunately, there's a simple workaround: just save the file after renaming.

            Agreed. This specific one is just an annoyance but is indicative of NT too
            heavily relying on cache rather than updating disk files. For example, not
            reloading icons when updating the toolbar or not periodically updating the
            ini file so changed preferences are visible to new instances of NT.
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2012
              At 5/2/2012 02:15 PM, you wrote:
              >At 17:40 2012-05-02, Lotta wrote:
              > >Interviewed by CNN on 02/05/2012 11:54, Art Kocsis told the world:
              > > > There seems to be a bug in the View-in-Browser behavior.
              > > >
              > > > Create or copy a HTML page in a new document (NoName01.txt)
              > > > Click View-in-Browser [NT sends a tmp text file to browser
              > > (efo~1.txt), -
              > > > as expected]
              > > > Rename doc as *.htm (NoName01.htm)
              > > > Click View-in-Browser [browser still sends original temp text file name
              > > > (efo~1.txt), even after editing.
              > > >
              > > > Worse, it sends the same tmp text file name to the alternate browser.
              > >
              > >I can confirm the above behavior (although I didn't test the "alternate
              > >browser" part). It happens both in NTP 6 and NTP 7 beta.
              >
              >AFAIK it has always worked like that.

              True, but that does not make it right. It is still a bug.
            • John Shotsky
              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2012
                Browsers read files off the disk. When you rename a document in NoteTab, you haven't renamed it on disk � until you save
                it. So the browser will always read what is on disk, and will use the actual filename on disk that is associated with
                the open file. It is not a bug, it is just working as designed � NT doesn't save things until you tell it to save.

                Regards,
                John

                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2012
                  Interviewed by CNN on 03/05/2012 09:08, John Shotsky told the world:
                  > Browsers read files off the disk. When you rename a document in NoteTab, you haven't renamed it on disk – until you save
                  > it. So the browser will always read what is on disk, and will use the actual filename on disk that is associated with
                  > the open file. It is not a bug, it is just working as designed – NT doesn't save things until you tell it to save.

                  Not true. I have just tested it: if I rename an opened file (either in
                  its saved state or in the edited/unsaved state -- doesn't matter) using
                  the "Document/Rename" button/menu option in Notetab, the saved file on
                  disk will be immediately renamed and be shown with the new name on
                  Windows Explorer.

                  This bug manifests if the file is in an edited/unsaved state. In this
                  circumstance, Notetab will save a temporary copy (named efo~001 or
                  something like that) and pass it on to the browser. The bug consists in
                  Notetab saving the temp copy with the same file extension as the saved
                  file *used* to have, instead of the same extension as the file opened in
                  memory or the one the last saved file on disk actually has now.

                  Furthermore,

                  --
                  MCBastos

                  use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

                  -=-=-
                  ... Sent from my Odyssey2.
                • Eric Fookes
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2012
                    Hi Art,

                    > There seems to be a bug in the View-in-Browser behavior.
                    >
                    > Create or copy a HTML page in a new document (NoName01.txt)
                    > Click View-in-Browser [NT sends a tmp text file to browser (efo~1.txt), -
                    > as expected]
                    > Rename doc as *.htm (NoName01.htm)
                    > Click View-in-Browser [browser still sends original temp text file name
                    > (efo~1.txt), even after editing.

                    This is indeed a bug. It will be fixed before NoteTab 7 is released.

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/