Re: [NTB] NTP7b6 Feedback: Some Remaining Bugs-tabs

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
      At 4/24/2012 03:05 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:

      >Many years ago this setting was persistent. <snip> It cause a lot of
      >customer support mail, which is why I decided to turn off the persistence.
      >This change had a dramatic effect on customer support queries.
      Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense and removes the annoyance.

      >Note that you can double-click on a tab to toggle the Reordering setting.
      OK! That works and hardly takes any extra effort. Where is that documented?

      Thanks, Art
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
        At 4/24/2012 10:23 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
        > > Drag-Copy Cursor:
        > > The Plus sign still missing from the drag-copy cursor.
        > > Pressing the Cntl key while dragging a selection has
        > > no effect. This is dangerous and violates the basic UI
        > > and premise of Windows of having standard methods for
        > > Windows apps.
        >
        >There is no standard Windows cursor with a plus sign for drag-copy. Of
        >course, applications can use their own bitmaps for specific tasks.
        >However, NoteTab just uses the standard cursors available to it.

        Thank you for responding.

        I didn't say standard Windows cursor - I said standard Windows UI.
        Are there two (or more), different (overlapping), UIs embedded in
        Windows? If so, that is a major design flaw in Windows.

        Notetab Std adds the little plus sign while the Cntrl key is pressed,
        NotePro does not. What are the "cursors available" to them and why
        are they different? Please don't say because you are using different
        input controls as that begs the question: why use different controls.

        Art
      • Greg Chapman
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
          Hi Art,

          On 25 Apr 12 01:40 Art Kocsis <artkns@...> said:
          > that begs the question: why use different controls

          Well, that one's easy... Because NoteTab is not a single product.
          Standard and Pro are aimed at different audiences that require
          different facilities. Accordingly, they use input controls appropriate
          for the tasks that the different audiences need. In the same way that
          other text editors are different again to either Standard or Pro.

          Rather than be surprised at the differences between Standard and Pro,
          you should be expressing your surprise at how similar they are,
          compared to all other editors around.

          Greg
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
            Hi Art,

            >> Note that you can double-click on a tab to toggle the Reordering setting.
            > OK! That works and hardly takes any extra effort. Where is that documented?

            Under Tips and How to...

            "When you have several documents open, you can drag-and-drop page tabs
            to reorder them any way you like. If the tabs are stacked, you will
            first have to enable drag-and-drop by double clicking on the tab before
            moving it."

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
              Hi Art,

              >> There is no standard Windows cursor with a plus sign for drag-copy. Of
              >> course, applications can use their own bitmaps for specific tasks.
              >> However, NoteTab just uses the standard cursors available to it.
              >
              > Thank you for responding.
              >
              > I didn't say standard Windows cursor - I said standard Windows UI.
              > Are there two (or more), different (overlapping), UIs embedded in
              > Windows? If so, that is a major design flaw in Windows.

              Here's what's available with the standard Windows UI:

              http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648391(v=vs.85).aspx

              You can see images of those cursors on this page:

              http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb545459.aspx#concepts

              > Notetab Std adds the little plus sign while the Cntrl key is pressed,
              > NotePro does not. What are the "cursors available" to them and why
              > are they different? Please don't say because you are using different
              > input controls as that begs the question: why use different controls.

              Well, there is an explanation in Help about the differences between
              NoteTab Std/Light and Pro. They are based on completely different types
              of input controls.

              I've decided to post a separate email with the subject "Differences
              between NoteTab Std/Light and Pro explained" that will hopefully help
              you better understand what's going on.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/