Re: [NTB] NTP7b6 Feedback: Some Remaining Bugs

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
      Hi Marcelo,

      > The HTML code highlighting in Beta 6 is still flaky. When I edit the
      > code (inserting/deleting characters) it often loses track of where it
      > should begin or end the highlight. I have to reload the file to fix the
      > issue. This is particularly noticeable in large replaces.

      Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I don't seem to work the same
      way as you and haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Can you provide
      specific steps that cause the highlighting to get out of sync?

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • Eric Fookes
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
        Hi Art,

        > Sorry for the misinformation. However, I still think the Allow
        > Reordering setting should be persistent as it is a PITA to
        > have to reset it every time I want to move the tabs.

        Many years ago this setting was persistent. Unfortunately, people forgot
        about the setting and got confused when their tabs would shift position
        if not clicked carefully. It cause a lot of customer support mail, which
        is why I decided to turn off the persistence. This change had a dramatic
        effect on customer support queries.

        Note that you can double-click on a tab to toggle the Reordering setting.

        Eric Fookes
        http://www.fookes.com/
      • Eric Fookes
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
          Hi Art,

          > Drag-Copy Cursor:
          > The Plus sign still missing from the drag-copy cursor.
          > Pressing the Cntl key while dragging a selection has
          > no effect. This is dangerous and violates the basic UI
          > and premise of Windows of having standard methods for
          > Windows apps.

          There is no standard Windows cursor with a plus sign for drag-copy. Of
          course, applications can use their own bitmaps for specific tasks.
          However, NoteTab just uses the standard cursors available to it.

          > Change Icon: If the AppIconIndex value under [Options]
          > in the INI file is greater than the max index of the
          > icon group of the exe file, no icon will show in View |
          > Options | Change Icon nor can it be changed.

          Thanks. This will be fixed in the next update.

          > Line-terminator display:
          > With Show Non-printing Text enabled, there is an extra,
          > non-existent line-terminator displayed at the EOF. This
          > is misleading. To verify, create a new document and
          > observe that a line-terminator is displayed but does not
          > exist in the saved file. Similarly, for all documents,
          > the last line-terminator at the EOF does not exist.

          Unlike the Rich-Edit input control used in NoteTab Light and Std, line
          terminators are not stored in the NoteTab Pro input control. If the
          display of line-terminator symbols disturbs you, simply uncheck the
          View/Nonprinting Text menu option.

          > BTW: There is a UseRegistry=0 entry in the [Application]
          > section of the default INI file. Will NoteTab still use
          > the registry for its settings if this value is reset to 1?

          It's provided for backwards compatibility purposes only. You shouldn't
          edit its value in the INI file.

          Eric Fookes
          http://www.fookes.com/
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
            At 4/24/2012 03:05 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:

            >Many years ago this setting was persistent. <snip> It cause a lot of
            >customer support mail, which is why I decided to turn off the persistence.
            >This change had a dramatic effect on customer support queries.
            Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense and removes the annoyance.

            >Note that you can double-click on a tab to toggle the Reordering setting.
            OK! That works and hardly takes any extra effort. Where is that documented?

            Thanks, Art
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
              At 4/24/2012 10:23 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
              > > Drag-Copy Cursor:
              > > The Plus sign still missing from the drag-copy cursor.
              > > Pressing the Cntl key while dragging a selection has
              > > no effect. This is dangerous and violates the basic UI
              > > and premise of Windows of having standard methods for
              > > Windows apps.
              >
              >There is no standard Windows cursor with a plus sign for drag-copy. Of
              >course, applications can use their own bitmaps for specific tasks.
              >However, NoteTab just uses the standard cursors available to it.

              Thank you for responding.

              I didn't say standard Windows cursor - I said standard Windows UI.
              Are there two (or more), different (overlapping), UIs embedded in
              Windows? If so, that is a major design flaw in Windows.

              Notetab Std adds the little plus sign while the Cntrl key is pressed,
              NotePro does not. What are the "cursors available" to them and why
              are they different? Please don't say because you are using different
              input controls as that begs the question: why use different controls.

              Art
            • Greg Chapman
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                Hi Art,

                On 25 Apr 12 01:40 Art Kocsis <artkns@...> said:
                > that begs the question: why use different controls

                Well, that one's easy... Because NoteTab is not a single product.
                Standard and Pro are aimed at different audiences that require
                different facilities. Accordingly, they use input controls appropriate
                for the tasks that the different audiences need. In the same way that
                other text editors are different again to either Standard or Pro.

                Rather than be surprised at the differences between Standard and Pro,
                you should be expressing your surprise at how similar they are,
                compared to all other editors around.

                Greg
              • Eric Fookes
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                  Hi Art,

                  >> Note that you can double-click on a tab to toggle the Reordering setting.
                  > OK! That works and hardly takes any extra effort. Where is that documented?

                  Under Tips and How to...

                  "When you have several documents open, you can drag-and-drop page tabs
                  to reorder them any way you like. If the tabs are stacked, you will
                  first have to enable drag-and-drop by double clicking on the tab before
                  moving it."

                  Eric Fookes
                  http://www.fookes.com/
                • Eric Fookes
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                    Hi Art,

                    >> There is no standard Windows cursor with a plus sign for drag-copy. Of
                    >> course, applications can use their own bitmaps for specific tasks.
                    >> However, NoteTab just uses the standard cursors available to it.
                    >
                    > Thank you for responding.
                    >
                    > I didn't say standard Windows cursor - I said standard Windows UI.
                    > Are there two (or more), different (overlapping), UIs embedded in
                    > Windows? If so, that is a major design flaw in Windows.

                    Here's what's available with the standard Windows UI:

                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648391(v=vs.85).aspx

                    You can see images of those cursors on this page:

                    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb545459.aspx#concepts

                    > Notetab Std adds the little plus sign while the Cntrl key is pressed,
                    > NotePro does not. What are the "cursors available" to them and why
                    > are they different? Please don't say because you are using different
                    > input controls as that begs the question: why use different controls.

                    Well, there is an explanation in Help about the differences between
                    NoteTab Std/Light and Pro. They are based on completely different types
                    of input controls.

                    I've decided to post a separate email with the subject "Differences
                    between NoteTab Std/Light and Pro explained" that will hopefully help
                    you better understand what's going on.

                    Eric Fookes
                    http://www.fookes.com/