NTP7b6 Feedback: Some Remaining Bugs

  • Art Kocsis
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 20, 2012
      Here are a few more bugs that still exist in Notetab 7:

      Drag-Copy Cursor:
      The Plus sign still missing from the drag-copy cursor.
      Pressing the Cntl key while dragging a selection has
      no effect. This is dangerous and violates the basic UI
      and premise of Windows of having standard methods for
      Windows apps.

      Change Icon: If the AppIconIndex value under [Options]
      in the INI file is greater than the max index of the
      icon group of the exe file, no icon will show in View |
      Options | Change Icon nor can it be changed.

      Allow Reordering Tabs:
      The Allow Reordering right-click tab option is not
      available unless Stack Tabs is enabled. Tab reordering
      should be independent of the Stack Tabs setting and is
      especially useful when Stack Tabs is disabled. In addition,
      the Allow Reordering setting should be persistent.

      Line-terminator display:
      With Show Non-printing Text enabled, there is an extra,
      non-existent line-terminator displayed at the EOF. This
      is misleading. To verify, create a new document and
      observe that a line-terminator is displayed but does not
      exist in the saved file. Similarly, for all documents,
      the last line-terminator at the EOF does not exist.

      BTW: There is a UseRegistry=0 entry in the [Application]
      section of the default INI file. Will NoteTab still use
      the registry for its settings if this value is reset to 1?

      Namaste', Art
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 21, 2012
        At 4/20/2012 09:31 PM, I wrote:
        >Allow Reordering Tabs:
        >The Allow Reordering right-click tab option is not
        >available unless Stack Tabs is enabled. Tab reordering
        >should be independent of the Stack Tabs setting and is
        >especially useful when Stack Tabs is disabled. In addition,
        >the Allow Reordering setting should be persistent.

        Correction: I haven't changed this setting in a long time as I
        leave Stack Tabs always enabled. I forgot that when Stack
        Tabs is disabled, Allow Reordering is always enabled so no
        need for an option.

        Sorry for the misinformation. However, I still think the Allow
        Reordering setting should be persistent as it is a PITA to
        have to reset it every time I want to move the tabs.

        Namaste', Art
      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 21, 2012
          The HTML code highlighting in Beta 6 is still flaky. When I edit the
          code (inserting/deleting characters) it often loses track of where it
          should begin or end the highlight. I have to reload the file to fix the
          issue. This is particularly noticeable in large replaces.

          This was not an issue in previous versions.
          --
          MCBastos

          use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my Amiga 1200.
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
            Hi Marcelo,

            > The HTML code highlighting in Beta 6 is still flaky. When I edit the
            > code (inserting/deleting characters) it often loses track of where it
            > should begin or end the highlight. I have to reload the file to fix the
            > issue. This is particularly noticeable in large replaces.

            Thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I don't seem to work the same
            way as you and haven't been able to reproduce the issue. Can you provide
            specific steps that cause the highlighting to get out of sync?

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
              Hi Art,

              > Sorry for the misinformation. However, I still think the Allow
              > Reordering setting should be persistent as it is a PITA to
              > have to reset it every time I want to move the tabs.

              Many years ago this setting was persistent. Unfortunately, people forgot
              about the setting and got confused when their tabs would shift position
              if not clicked carefully. It cause a lot of customer support mail, which
              is why I decided to turn off the persistence. This change had a dramatic
              effect on customer support queries.

              Note that you can double-click on a tab to toggle the Reordering setting.

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/
            • Eric Fookes
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
                Hi Art,

                > Drag-Copy Cursor:
                > The Plus sign still missing from the drag-copy cursor.
                > Pressing the Cntl key while dragging a selection has
                > no effect. This is dangerous and violates the basic UI
                > and premise of Windows of having standard methods for
                > Windows apps.

                There is no standard Windows cursor with a plus sign for drag-copy. Of
                course, applications can use their own bitmaps for specific tasks.
                However, NoteTab just uses the standard cursors available to it.

                > Change Icon: If the AppIconIndex value under [Options]
                > in the INI file is greater than the max index of the
                > icon group of the exe file, no icon will show in View |
                > Options | Change Icon nor can it be changed.

                Thanks. This will be fixed in the next update.

                > Line-terminator display:
                > With Show Non-printing Text enabled, there is an extra,
                > non-existent line-terminator displayed at the EOF. This
                > is misleading. To verify, create a new document and
                > observe that a line-terminator is displayed but does not
                > exist in the saved file. Similarly, for all documents,
                > the last line-terminator at the EOF does not exist.

                Unlike the Rich-Edit input control used in NoteTab Light and Std, line
                terminators are not stored in the NoteTab Pro input control. If the
                display of line-terminator symbols disturbs you, simply uncheck the
                View/Nonprinting Text menu option.

                > BTW: There is a UseRegistry=0 entry in the [Application]
                > section of the default INI file. Will NoteTab still use
                > the registry for its settings if this value is reset to 1?

                It's provided for backwards compatibility purposes only. You shouldn't
                edit its value in the INI file.

                Eric Fookes
                http://www.fookes.com/
              • Art Kocsis
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
                  At 4/24/2012 03:05 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:

                  >Many years ago this setting was persistent. <snip> It cause a lot of
                  >customer support mail, which is why I decided to turn off the persistence.
                  >This change had a dramatic effect on customer support queries.
                  Thank you for the explanation. That makes sense and removes the annoyance.

                  >Note that you can double-click on a tab to toggle the Reordering setting.
                  OK! That works and hardly takes any extra effort. Where is that documented?

                  Thanks, Art
                • Art Kocsis
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 24, 2012
                    At 4/24/2012 10:23 AM, Eric Fookes wrote:
                    > > Drag-Copy Cursor:
                    > > The Plus sign still missing from the drag-copy cursor.
                    > > Pressing the Cntl key while dragging a selection has
                    > > no effect. This is dangerous and violates the basic UI
                    > > and premise of Windows of having standard methods for
                    > > Windows apps.
                    >
                    >There is no standard Windows cursor with a plus sign for drag-copy. Of
                    >course, applications can use their own bitmaps for specific tasks.
                    >However, NoteTab just uses the standard cursors available to it.

                    Thank you for responding.

                    I didn't say standard Windows cursor - I said standard Windows UI.
                    Are there two (or more), different (overlapping), UIs embedded in
                    Windows? If so, that is a major design flaw in Windows.

                    Notetab Std adds the little plus sign while the Cntrl key is pressed,
                    NotePro does not. What are the "cursors available" to them and why
                    are they different? Please don't say because you are using different
                    input controls as that begs the question: why use different controls.

                    Art
                  • Greg Chapman
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                      Hi Art,

                      On 25 Apr 12 01:40 Art Kocsis <artkns@...> said:
                      > that begs the question: why use different controls

                      Well, that one's easy... Because NoteTab is not a single product.
                      Standard and Pro are aimed at different audiences that require
                      different facilities. Accordingly, they use input controls appropriate
                      for the tasks that the different audiences need. In the same way that
                      other text editors are different again to either Standard or Pro.

                      Rather than be surprised at the differences between Standard and Pro,
                      you should be expressing your surprise at how similar they are,
                      compared to all other editors around.

                      Greg
                    • Eric Fookes
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                        Hi Art,

                        >> Note that you can double-click on a tab to toggle the Reordering setting.
                        > OK! That works and hardly takes any extra effort. Where is that documented?

                        Under Tips and How to...

                        "When you have several documents open, you can drag-and-drop page tabs
                        to reorder them any way you like. If the tabs are stacked, you will
                        first have to enable drag-and-drop by double clicking on the tab before
                        moving it."

                        Eric Fookes
                        http://www.fookes.com/
                      • Eric Fookes
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 25, 2012
                          Hi Art,

                          >> There is no standard Windows cursor with a plus sign for drag-copy. Of
                          >> course, applications can use their own bitmaps for specific tasks.
                          >> However, NoteTab just uses the standard cursors available to it.
                          >
                          > Thank you for responding.
                          >
                          > I didn't say standard Windows cursor - I said standard Windows UI.
                          > Are there two (or more), different (overlapping), UIs embedded in
                          > Windows? If so, that is a major design flaw in Windows.

                          Here's what's available with the standard Windows UI:

                          http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms648391(v=vs.85).aspx

                          You can see images of those cursors on this page:

                          http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb545459.aspx#concepts

                          > Notetab Std adds the little plus sign while the Cntrl key is pressed,
                          > NotePro does not. What are the "cursors available" to them and why
                          > are they different? Please don't say because you are using different
                          > input controls as that begs the question: why use different controls.

                          Well, there is an explanation in Help about the differences between
                          NoteTab Std/Light and Pro. They are based on completely different types
                          of input controls.

                          I've decided to post a separate email with the subject "Differences
                          between NoteTab Std/Light and Pro explained" that will hopefully help
                          you better understand what's going on.

                          Eric Fookes
                          http://www.fookes.com/