RE: [NTB] Std vs Pro Caret Processing

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
      I had this problem also, and Dio helped me out of it. It amounted to rewriting the clip to avoid the ^ being in the
      location it was in. I'm not sure I have the old correspondence, but if I can find it, I'll post something. My archives
      are saved off in external files, so I have to activate them and then search. I wonder how many people have email
      archives back to 1992 on their computers? Not everything, of course, but important enough to keep.

      In my case, it was Pro not working the correct way in every instance. It absolutely required rewriting to avoid the
      trap. I do remember posting it, so there is a record somewhere.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2012
        --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

        > Hi Flo,
        >
        > The post was over a year ago (...) that's why I thought of
        > you or possibly Sheri, who uses Notetab Pro, discussed
        > differences in caret processing by Std & Pro and specifically
        > said the caret did not force the pattern to start at BOL...

        Art,

        If we talk about...

        - differences between NTb Pro and Standard,
        - with regard to the caret,
        - and postings from Sheri,

        then I remember message #17366 of Jan 27, 2008 in the CLIP group.

        It refers to the first page of 'Help on Regular Expressions' ("NoteTab and PCRE/Note to clippers...") and describes a difference regarding the search within highlighted text.

        So the subject is neither RegEx nor NTb in general but a rather specific issue and behavior.

        When testing this behavior, you will see that, even in this context, the caret matches at the beginning of a line (or paragraph) only.

        Regards,
        Flo
      • Art Kocsis
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 21, 2012
          At 4/21/2012 02:16 AM, Flo wrote:
          >--- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art
          >Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:
          > > Hi Flo,
          > > The post was over a year ago (...) that's why I thought of
          > > you or possibly Sheri, who uses Notetab Pro, discussed
          > > differences in caret processing by Std & Pro and specifically
          > > said the caret did not force the pattern to start at BOL...
          >Art,
          >
          >If we talk about...
          >- differences between NTb Pro and Standard,
          >- with regard to the caret,
          >- and postings from Sheri,
          >
          >then I remember message #17366 of Jan 27, 2008 in the CLIP group.
          >
          >It refers to the first page of 'Help on Regular Expressions' ("NoteTab and
          >PCRE/Note to clippers...") and describes a difference regarding the search
          >within highlighted text.
          >
          >So the subject is neither RegEx nor NTb in general but a rather specific
          >issue and behavior.
          >
          >When testing this behavior, you will see that, even in this context, the
          >caret matches at the beginning of a line (or paragraph) only.

          Flo,

          That's not the post I saw. I didn't rejoin the clip list until June 2008 so
          I wouldn't even have seen that one. I've spent hours searching my archives
          using every keyword I could remember to no avail. I've (we've) spent way
          too much time on this for what it is worth so I'll have to let it go.
          Thanks for trying though.

          As I understand it, the caret is supposed to force a pattern search from
          the start of a line and you are confirming that. I'm good with that. If I
          run into another case where it fails I will post it.

          Thanks again, Art