Re: [NTB] Pre-Rlse#5 Feedback: Std vs Pro

  • flo.gehrke
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 19, 2012
      --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

      > In NTB 5.8/fv, the "^" RegEx operator seems to have a random
      > behavior. (...) Sometimes NTB would act correctly and restrict
      > the pattern to search from BOL. Other times it would start from
      > anywhere. IIRC, Flo(?) at one time made the comment that in NTP
      > (6?), a "^" search pattern could always start anyplace in the line.

      Objection, Art! I wouldn't say that, and I don't know what you are referring to.

      Also, I can't confirm that any version (since v.4.95) , including NTB 7.0, ever interpreted the caret different than beginning of line (or paragraph).

      Maybe someone said: '^' matches at ANY position -- not meaning at any position in a line but at any beginning of a line in a whole document?

      Regards,
      Flo
    • Art Kocsis
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
        At 4/19/2012 09:01 AM, Flo wrote:
        >--- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art
        >Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:
        > > In NTB 5.8/fv, the "^" RegEx operator seems to have a random
        > > behavior. (...) Sometimes NTB would act correctly and restrict
        > > the pattern to search from BOL. Other times it would start from
        > > anywhere. IIRC, Flo(?) at one time made the comment that in NTP
        > > (6?), a "^" search pattern could always start anyplace in the line.
        >
        >Objection, Art! I wouldn't say that, and I don't know what you are
        >referring to.
        >
        >Also, I can't confirm that any version (since v.4.95) , including NTB 7.0,
        >ever interpreted the caret different than beginning of line (or paragraph).
        >
        >Maybe someone said: '^' matches at ANY position -- not meaning at any
        >position in a line but at any beginning of a line in a whole document?
        >
        >Regards,
        >Flo

        Hi Flo,

        Sorry. I wasn't sure who posted that comment. That's why I had the "?".
        The post was over a year ago, by a frequent female poster (IIRC) - [that's
        why I thought of you or possibly Sheri], who uses Notetab Pro, discussed
        differences in caret processing by Std & Pro and specifically said the caret
        did not force the pattern to start at BOL which, to me, is exactly what the
        caret is supposed to do! That is why the comment has stuck in my mind.
        Unfortunately, I can't find the post to confirm exactly what was said but it
        was not searching BOL for the entire doc.

        I use NT Std 5.8/fv and once in a while the caret does not force BOL
        matching. (And, no, I don't have any examples but I will post one the next
        time it happens.)

        Art
      • John Shotsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 20, 2012
          I had this problem also, and Dio helped me out of it. It amounted to rewriting the clip to avoid the ^ being in the
          location it was in. I'm not sure I have the old correspondence, but if I can find it, I'll post something. My archives
          are saved off in external files, so I have to activate them and then search. I wonder how many people have email
          archives back to 1992 on their computers? Not everything, of course, but important enough to keep.

          In my case, it was Pro not working the correct way in every instance. It absolutely required rewriting to avoid the
          trap. I do remember posting it, so there is a record somewhere.

          Regards,
          John

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 21, 2012
            --- In notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:

            > Hi Flo,
            >
            > The post was over a year ago (...) that's why I thought of
            > you or possibly Sheri, who uses Notetab Pro, discussed
            > differences in caret processing by Std & Pro and specifically
            > said the caret did not force the pattern to start at BOL...

            Art,

            If we talk about...

            - differences between NTb Pro and Standard,
            - with regard to the caret,
            - and postings from Sheri,

            then I remember message #17366 of Jan 27, 2008 in the CLIP group.

            It refers to the first page of 'Help on Regular Expressions' ("NoteTab and PCRE/Note to clippers...") and describes a difference regarding the search within highlighted text.

            So the subject is neither RegEx nor NTb in general but a rather specific issue and behavior.

            When testing this behavior, you will see that, even in this context, the caret matches at the beginning of a line (or paragraph) only.

            Regards,
            Flo
          • Art Kocsis
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 21, 2012
              At 4/21/2012 02:16 AM, Flo wrote:
              >--- In <mailto:notetab%40yahoogroups.com>notetab@yahoogroups.com, Art
              >Kocsis <artkns@...> wrote:
              > > Hi Flo,
              > > The post was over a year ago (...) that's why I thought of
              > > you or possibly Sheri, who uses Notetab Pro, discussed
              > > differences in caret processing by Std & Pro and specifically
              > > said the caret did not force the pattern to start at BOL...
              >Art,
              >
              >If we talk about...
              >- differences between NTb Pro and Standard,
              >- with regard to the caret,
              >- and postings from Sheri,
              >
              >then I remember message #17366 of Jan 27, 2008 in the CLIP group.
              >
              >It refers to the first page of 'Help on Regular Expressions' ("NoteTab and
              >PCRE/Note to clippers...") and describes a difference regarding the search
              >within highlighted text.
              >
              >So the subject is neither RegEx nor NTb in general but a rather specific
              >issue and behavior.
              >
              >When testing this behavior, you will see that, even in this context, the
              >caret matches at the beginning of a line (or paragraph) only.

              Flo,

              That's not the post I saw. I didn't rejoin the clip list until June 2008 so
              I wouldn't even have seen that one. I've spent hours searching my archives
              using every keyword I could remember to no avail. I've (we've) spent way
              too much time on this for what it is worth so I'll have to let it go.
              Thanks for trying though.

              As I understand it, the caret is supposed to force a pattern search from
              the start of a line and you are confirming that. I'm good with that. If I
              run into another case where it fails I will post it.

              Thanks again, Art