Pre-release #2 of NoteTab 7.0 available

  • Eric Fookes
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I'm have just uploaded a new pre-release of NoteTab Light and NoteTab
      Pro Trial version 7.0.

      Here's a list of the main changes since the first pre-release:

      * Added real-time word count feature, with a choice between two counting
      methods. The feature is controlled through the View|Word Count submenu
      and the word count is displayed in the status bar next to the Ins/Ovr
      info panel. Word-count is based either on selected text or the whole
      document (or topic with Outlines). This feature is not available in
      NoteTab Light (unless you enable trial mode).

      The MS Word method returns a count that should be a close match to the
      word-count result in Microsoft Word. The NoteTab method is more
      sophisticated and counts words using a more extensive set of word
      delimiters. MS Word mostly counts words delimited by space characters.
      In the following examples, MS Word counts one word per line whereas
      NoteTab counts three words in each:
      info@...
      http://fookes.com/
      help-me-please
      2x10x250

      * When the real-time word-count feature is enabled, you can click on the
      corresponding panel in the status bar to see more detailed text
      statistics. You will see the word count based on the NoteTab method, the
      average number of characters per word, the number of sentences, and the
      average number of words per sentence. This information is particularly
      valuable to copywriters, bloggers and journalists.

      * Added new Bootstrap library, Clipbar and templates. Bootstrap, from
      Twitter, is a fantastic collection of CSS and HTML for rapidly
      developing professional-looking web sites. For more information, visit
      the official Bootstrap website through this link:
      http://www.notetab.com/redir/Bootstrap

      * Added new Clip function to count the number of words in a string:
      ^$StrWordCount("Str"[;Method])$
      Method = MsWord or NoteTab

      * Updated Clip functions to support regular expressions and wildcards:
      ^$StrCount("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
      ^$StrPos("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
      ^$StrReplace("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$

      C: Searches for whole words only.
      I: Ignores character case.
      R: Specifies that the search criteria represents a regular expression.
      *: Specifies that the search criteria uses wildcards.
      A: Use to replace all matched occurrences with ^$StrReplace. When this
      option is not used, only the first match is replaced.

      * Fixed issue in ^$GetDateToInt[(Date;DateFilter)]$ function that failed
      when date filter did not exactly match date pattern. Example:
      ^$GetDateToInt(2012-3-27;yyyy-m-d)$

      * Fixed an issue with ^$GetDocumentPath$ and the %NtbDocuments% token
      failing to use the user-defined default directories.

      * Fixed errors in the Clip Assistant.

      * Fixed an issue in the Modify | Block | Cut feature that failed to work
      if only the last character column was selected.

      If you would like to try NoteTab 7 and provide feedback before the final
      version is released, use the download links below:

      NoteTab Light 7 (freeware)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NoteTab_Light_Setup.exe

      NoteTab Pro 7 (30-day trial version)
      http://www.notetab.com/ftp/NotePro_Trial_Setup.exe

      You can safely install the trial version of NoteTab Pro 7 alongside your
      paid version of NoteTab Pro 6. Just make sure you don't install it in
      the same folder!

      I look forward to reading your comments and feedback.

      Eric Fookes
      http://www.fookes.com/
    • mycroftj
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2012

        > Hi everyone,
        >
        > I'm have just uploaded a new pre-release of NoteTab Light and NoteTab Pro Trial version 7.0.
        >
        > * Updated Clip functions to support regular expressions and wildcards:
        > ^$StrCount("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
        > ^$StrPos("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
        > ^$StrReplace("SubStr";"Str"[;Options])$
        > Regards,
        >
        > Eric Fookes
        > http://www.fookes.com/

        I'm sorry if this is a duplicate message. I posted it two days ago but still don't see it so will do it again. I have to get more sleep...

        I mentioned a few items that I feel did not work correctly in NTL 6.2 which are...

        Sorting from the toolbar or a clip causes the newly ordered lines to display without the tab settings being applied. I must make some change to the tab settings of the doc to have the doc display correctly.

        Changing only the tab settings for a doc does not trigger the "Doc has changed" flag. While some disagree since no text has been changed, the tab settings are stored for each doc which means something about the doc HAS changed.

        Double clicking in the middle of a word selects the word from the click position the the beginning of the word instead of the entire word. Some people say it works correctly for them while others say it does not.

        This appears NEW IN VER 7! (At least I never noticed it in 6.2)
        Double clicking on a word opens a tab in my browser. I noticed that the word must be the last or next to last word in a sentence ending with a period. So clicking on "normally" opens a tab with the address file://localhost/C:/Users/user/Documents/Info/Misc/normally
        (The doc exists in C:/Users/user/Documents/Info/Misc)

        I also did not see the updated descriptions for StrCount, StrPos, StrReplace and the new StrWordCount in the new documentation.

        Hope this helps.

        Joy
      • mycroftj
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 30, 2012

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > I'm have just uploaded a new pre-release of NoteTab Light and NoteTab
          > Pro Trial version 7.0.
          >
          > --
          > Regards,
          >
          > Eric Fookes
          > http://www.fookes.com/

          Another newly introduced problem in NTL Pre-release 2...

          When doing repeated searches in the UP direction using NEXT or F3 with the dialog box closed, only the first match is found. NEXT and F3 don't do anything after that first match.

          It works correctly searching DOWN.

          Joy
        • Eric Fookes
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 4, 2012
            Hi Joy,

            > Sorting from the toolbar or a clip causes the newly ordered lines to
            > display without the tab settings being applied. I must make some
            > change to the tab settings of the doc to have the doc display
            > correctly.

            I was not able to reproduce this under XP, but did see the problem under
            Windows 7. Update #3 should fix the issue.

            > Changing only the tab settings for a doc does not trigger the "Doc
            > has changed" flag. While some disagree since no text has been
            > changed, the tab settings are stored for each doc which means
            > something about the doc HAS changed.

            This is by design. Nothing is changed in the text file when you modify
            the setting. Document properties are always automatically saved.

            > Double clicking in the middle of a word selects the word from the
            > click position the the beginning of the word instead of the entire
            > word. Some people say it works correctly for them while others say it
            > does not.

            I haven't been able to reproduce this under XP and Win7.

            > This appears NEW IN VER 7! (At least I never noticed it in 6.2)
            > Double clicking on a word opens a tab in my browser. I noticed that
            > the word must be the last or next to last word in a sentence ending
            > with a period. So clicking on "normally" opens a tab with the address
            > file://localhost/C:/Users/user/Documents/Info/Misc/normally (The doc
            > exists in C:/Users/user/Documents/Info/Misc)

            Did you set the Tools / Quick Open Links menu option?

            > I also did not see the updated descriptions for StrCount, StrPos,
            > StrReplace and the new StrWordCount in the new documentation.

            You're correct. The ClipCode.chm file still needs to be updated.

            Eric Fookes
            http://www.fookes.com/
          • Eric Fookes
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 4, 2012
              Hi Joy,

              > Another newly introduced problem in NTL Pre-release 2...
              >
              > When doing repeated searches in the UP direction using NEXT or F3
              > with the dialog box closed, only the first match is found. NEXT and
              > F3 don't do anything after that first match.

              I have not been able to reproduce this issue. What kind of search are
              you doing?

              Eric Fookes
              http://www.fookes.com/