Notetab Search and Replace not recognizing characters

  • wabbitwunner
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
      Can someone explain to me why notetab does not recognize "`" or "'"

      I can select it and when I click on search and replace it is loaded into the wizard search field but the search does find it in the document.

      I've tried it in a clip S&R and it doesnt work either.

      ^!Replace "`" >> "'" ISAW

      I've tried save Doc as

      Ansi
      ASCII (Dos)
      Unicode
      EBCDIC
      UTF-8

      All searches come up empty but there are thousands of instances in 100's of files and notetab cant "see" them for me to replace them.

      any help is appreciated
    • Marcelo Bastos
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
        Interviewed by CNN on 13/03/2012 16:46, wabbitwunner told the world:
        > Can someone explain to me why notetab does not recognize "`" or "'"
        >
        > I can select it and when I click on search and replace it is loaded into the wizard search field but the search does find it in the document.
        >
        > I've tried it in a clip S&R and it doesnt work either.
        >
        > ^!Replace "`" >> "'" ISAW

        Works for me here. Does it happen in just one file or any file?

        --
        MCBastos

        use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my VAX.
        * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.7.2 *
      • Alex Plantema
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13, 2012
          Op dinsdag 13 maart 2012 20:46 schreef wabbitwunner:

          > Can someone explain to me why notetab does not recognize "`" or "'"
          >
          > I can select it and when I click on search and replace it is loaded
          > into the wizard search field but the search does find it in the
          > document.
          >
          > I've tried it in a clip S&R and it doesnt work either.
          >
          > ^!Replace "`" >> "'" ISAW
          >
          > I've tried save Doc as
          >
          > Ansi
          > ASCII (Dos)
          > Unicode
          > EBCDIC
          > UTF-8
          >
          > All searches come up empty but there are thousands of instances in
          > 100's of files and notetab cant "see" them for me to replace them.

          This does work. Did you try to replace these accents in a read-only file?

          Replacing curled accents created with MS Word does not work in a clip,
          because when the clip is saved they are replaced by their ascii equivalents.

          Alex.
        • wabbitwunner
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 14, 2012
            Thanks for the replys but I ended up importing them in a completely different manner with a 3rd party script which clean them up for me. Read only was the first thing I checked. They were pdf files saved as text and I was writting clips to clean them up to import into a website. Its bizzare, i've been using Notetab for years and never encountered anything like this.

            other S&R worked fine but i could never get these to work.

            ^!Replace "`" >> "'" ISAW
            ^!Replace "'" >> "'" ISAW
            ^!Replace """ >> "'" ISAW
            ^!Replace """ >> "'" ISAW