Erratic behavior of NoteTab Light with extended characters

  • Dave Trowbridge
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 26, 2012
      I've been using NoteTab Light (NTL) to clean up Word generated HTML for ebook production, but its behavior has become increasingly erratic, esp. as regards the Modify > Characters to HTML > Extended Characters function, which is extremely important when it comes to converting to valid EPUB using Calibre. (NoteTab appears to be the only way to do this without lots of manual labor or writing some sort of magical regular expression that's quite beyond me.)

      Right now, this function doesn't work at all. However, on the same file a few tries back, it opened the file with garbage characters (like the Euro symbol) in front of every extended ASCII character, and when I used the Modify feature, it faithfully converted everything to named entities, including the garbage characters.

      It's gotten so that I don't know what to expect when I open a file one day to the next. I suspect there may be some interaction going on with Calibre, but am having difficulty keeping things straight. Can anyone point me in the direction of some new things to try? Or warnings about what not to do?
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 27, 2012
        Hi
        the Erratic behavior could be to many files open, not enough ram, a slow
        machine, things going on in the background.
        THANKYOU DAVE M

        > I've been using NoteTab Light (NTL) to clean up Word generated HTML for
        > ebook production, but its behavior has become increasingly erratic, esp.
        > as regards the Modify > Characters to HTML > Extended Characters function,
        > which is extremely important when it comes to converting to valid EPUB
        > using Calibre. (NoteTab appears to be the only way to do this without lots
        > of manual labor or writing some sort of magical regular expression that's
        > quite beyond me.)
        >
        > Right now, this function doesn't work at all. However, on the same file a
        > few tries back, it opened the file with garbage characters (like the Euro
        > symbol) in front of every extended ASCII character, and when I used the
        > Modify feature, it faithfully converted everything to named entities,
        > including the garbage characters.
        >
        > It's gotten so that I don't know what to expect when I open a file one day
        > to the next. I suspect there may be some interaction going on with
        > Calibre, but am having difficulty keeping things straight. Can anyone
        > point me in the direction of some new things to try? Or warnings about
        > what not to do?

      • Marcelo Bastos
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 27, 2012
          Interviewed by CNN on 26/02/2012 23:56, Dave Trowbridge told the world:
          > I've been using NoteTab Light (NTL) to clean up Word generated HTML for ebook production, but its behavior has become increasingly erratic, esp. as regards the Modify > Characters to HTML > Extended Characters function, which is extremely important when it comes to converting to valid EPUB using Calibre. (NoteTab appears to be the only way to do this without lots of manual labor or writing some sort of magical regular expression that's quite beyond me.)
          >
          > Right now, this function doesn't work at all. However, on the same file a few tries back, it opened the file with garbage characters (like the Euro symbol) in front of every extended ASCII character, and when I used the Modify feature, it faithfully converted everything to named entities, including the garbage characters.
          >
          > It's gotten so that I don't know what to expect when I open a file one day to the next. I suspect there may be some interaction going on with Calibre, but am having difficulty keeping things straight. Can anyone point me in the direction of some new things to try? Or warnings about what not to do?

          This seems to be related to the unfortunately lacking Unicode support in
          Notetab. Simply stated, it does not handle files which were originally
          saved in Unicode.

          --
          MCBastos

          use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

          -=-=-
          ... Sent from my car stereo.
          * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.7.2 *
        • Art Kocsis
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 27, 2012
            To quickly test if it is a Unicode problem, take a problem file, select and
            copy all to the clipboard, paste into a new document and then perform your
            operation to see if the problem persists.

            If it is a Unicode problem, take a look at Axel Berger's posting on
            01-11-12. He posted a clip (in the NTB clip forum), to convert Unicode to
            ANSI and to account for non-translatable characters.

            If you are not concerned about the high byte of UTF encoding, you can use
            the little clip below that I wrote to extract just the low byte and convert
            the document to ANSI.

            You didn't say if you were running a clip or which version of NTB that you
            are using. I had to give up using NTB 6.2/v Std because of an apparent
            memory bug. I would frequently but randomly find snippets of NTB buffer RAM
            corrupting a file after running a clip. NTB 5.8/v does not exhibit that
            problem.

            If yours is a clip problem, this discussion should be moved to the NTB clip
            forum.

            Namaste',

            Art

            ============== Start of Code =============================
            Cnvrt to ANSI

            ;This clip converts a Unicode file to ANSI using the NTB builtin conversion
            ; upon pasting into a new document.

            ^!Set %docname%=^$GetDocName$
            ^!Select ALL
            ^!SetClipboard ^$GetSelection$