RE: [NTB] Notetab retains OLD tabs

  • John Shotsky
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 19 8:43 AM
      I wasn't referring to just user settings, I was referring to ANY files that a program tries to modify in its install
      folders when installed into C:\Program Files in Vista/Win7.

      I have no problem with there being a user section for multiple users, but most of us only have one user, and that one
      user pays the price of having the ability to have more users on the computer. The defaults should have been for
      single-user comfort, rather than single-user inconvenience.

      Regards,
      John

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 19 10:32 AM
        Interviewed by CNN on 19/02/2012 14:04, John Shotsky told the world:

        > If all this sounds confusing, it is. Microsoft pulled one of the dumbest stunts of all time when it protected the
        > Program Files folders. It should have left that alone, and created NEW folders that were protected, but then it would
        > have had to re-release all of its products to use the new folders. So instead, it broke almost all traditional software,
        > gave us UAC, Shadow Copy and who knows what else in order to achieve its goals.

        No, actually, they were right. Do you want to know for HOW LONG the
        Program Files has required administrative rights to write in?

        Since *1993.* Since the very first version of Windows NT. People in
        corporate environments (where permissions are taken seriously) have
        worked with restricted Program Files since... well, since NT 4, in 1996
        (pretty much nobody used NT 3.x).

        Yeah, that's how long programmers have been told not to save files in
        the Program Files tree. (Although Microsoft programmers themselves were
        guilt of violating this; I remember having to temporarily elevate users'
        rights on first run of Office 2000, because it didn't fully comply with
        those directives...).

        And then, by Windows XP (when the NT family actually hit the home
        market), this happened if you used a "restricted" account instead of an
        Administrator account. That's back in 2001, by the way.

        Only... people kept using Administrator accounts for day-to-day tasks.
        It may be convenient, but security-wise, it's a REALLY DUMB idea. That's
        why in Linux/Unix/OSX you have to explicitly invoke root privileges
        (like by using sudo) for some tasks.

        So, Microsoft came with UAC. Which basically removes from Windows the
        stupid "all admin, all the time" behavior.

        Now we see people whining about "Oh, I can't write to the Program Files
        folder without invoking admin privileges." "Oh, viruses have a hard time
        installing themselves." "Oh, I can't delete my System32 folder." Tough
        luck. You shouldn't be doing that anyway. It's bad practice. There have
        been documented ways to keep application profiles in userland for years
        and years. And if you wanted to sell your applications to corporate
        users, you would already be doing that.

        So no, UAC did not break "almost all traditional software." Only the
        ones which were still written assuming Win9x practices (that is, for an
        OS family which had been out of the market for *five years* when Vista
        was launched).

        If you ask me, Microsoft has coddled bad programming habits and bad user
        habits for too long. It was high time for them to clamp down.

        --
        MCBastos

        use will be prosecuted under the DMCA.

        -=-=-
        ... Sent from my Minitel.
        * Added by TagZilla 0.7a1 running on Seamonkey 2.7.2 *